285 GTX SC Overheating?

Condorman3000

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Hello all. My computer stays on 24/7 and runs fine when watching BluRays, browsing the web, etc etc. It always seems to crash when I play the new call of duty. I'm fairly certain it is a heat problem. It will go longer if I crank up the fans on my case. I was just curious what some of you would recommend doing. I was thinking about getting a different card for Christmas, maybe one that runs a little cooler. I appreciate any advice. PC SPECS BELOW

EVGA 285 GTX SC
Intel i7 920
3GB G.SKILL DDR3 2000
600 GB HD
CORSAIR TX 750W
Creative X-fi
Antec 1200 case
Razer keyboard and mouse
Dell S2209W monitor

Could you post your GPU and CPU temperature screen shots. That would be helpful. When you mean crash, do you mean to say that the PC restarts on it own or do you get a BSOD?

Condorman3000

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
When it freezes/crashes I can still hear the audio from the game. Sometimes the monitor just goes black and loses video signal. Sometimes the screen will turn a solid color. It has frozen yellow, red, and a burnt orange. Very pretty but not while playing call of duty haha. Hope this explains my problem a little better.

Condorman3000

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

I will get some temps later today when I get a chance. I know my CPU idles at 37. I'm not sure about the gpu.

Condorman3000

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

I do, I have the latest vista x64 driver. I'm really leaning towards heat though. Like I said, crank the fans up and it will go longer before freezing. Thanks for these replies hell storm. I appreciate it.

janxta

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
You didn't mention if you are using a fan controller specifically for the gpu. If not, I would suggest going to evga.com and downloading their Precision Tool, it will allow you to adjust your speeds and cooling settings. Good luck with it.

Condorman3000

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I wasn't expecting this. These are my idle and load temps. The load temps are after ~15 minutes of call of duty.

IDLE.jpg

LOAD.jpg

So, maybe it is a driver issue. I do have the x64 version of vista. :heink:

Elsolra

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
I have exactly the same problem! Play black ops for 5-10 mins, screen goes black, still hear the sound from the game, need to turn computer off then reboot is fine. Im getting 75 Fahr with my GTX 285. Looked around on different sites, still cant find a fix, I got latest drivers installed etc. This has never happened before, but this is just a thought, ever since I installed a 3rd hard drive that this problem stared.