Help with Case Fan

phantom1

Honorable
May 4, 2012
My case has only 1 slot where I can install a case fan, how much difference in temp. will it make it I do install 1?
Have this fan in mind http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0253030
will just adding 1 fan make a difference in my temp. while gaming? my peak temps. are 60-65C. And with the 4 pin connector, do I just plug it in the Motherboard?

I got a Coolmaster Elite 430W PSU and a Nvidia gtx 550ti on my buget of 120$ my original PSU was 180Watts.

Solution
What kind of case? If you are modding, have you considered moving over to a new case? There are good models starting around ~$40.

With regard to the fan, if you plug it directly into your PSU it will go at a constant speed, if you plug into motherboard you should be able to control its speed. Not sure if your motherboard/bios will make that easy or not, but its possible. When shopping for fans watch for how much noise they make, and how fast they run, etc.

Edit: yes the fan should help, but depends on what kind of case you are using.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
What kind of case? If you are modding, have you considered moving over to a new case? There are good models starting around ~$40.

With regard to the fan, if you plug it directly into your PSU it will go at a constant speed, if you plug into motherboard you should be able to control its speed. Not sure if your motherboard/bios will make that easy or not, but its possible. When shopping for fans watch for how much noise they make, and how fast they run, etc.

Edit: yes the fan should help, but depends on what kind of case you are using.

Solution

phantom1

Honorable
May 4, 2012

I installed the gpu on the lenevo h215(budget desktop) I have been using MSI afterburner and Speedfan to change the fan speed, is 65C. Any suggestion on fans? I am looking for a 80mm, with a 4 pin connector on the Motherboard (preferably a LED fan). I don't care if its loud, i just want one that will be reliable for 8 months or so.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Oh-- that's not a terrible case to be starting with. So the 80mm is to replace the back fan? The one you picked looks fine to me, if you aren't worried about noise most fans will do. I personally have Silverstone 80mm fans in my HTPC, but I don't really think there is a reason to spend any more than the one you picked.

You might also remove the expansion slots below your card- to give a little more airflow there. Also the more you can tighten up cable management it will help.

You also seem to have a great side area to mount a larger 100 or 120mm fan. Depending on what clearance you have there between the size and the front pillar, I would mount one blowing in, so that the air expels out the back of your case.

It also looks like you might have room to mount something in the front? I see a grate there, but cant tell if there is airflow around the sides of the front of the case to make that work.

phantom1

Honorable
May 4, 2012

Thanks it seems to have an area for me to mount it in the front. Ill make the front blowing in and the rear blowing out.
Would using tape be viable to organize the wires? Because when I connect the fan to the front it blows air into the wires.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Small zip ties or twist ties usually work best for me since I move things around a lot, but tape would work too.