9800 GX2 Modern Warfare 2 Black Screen

bigduffy

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I've been trying to play CoD: Modern Warfare 2 on my system and after an hour (or longer) of play the whole screen turns black and my system freezes. Sometimes it will flicker a few times and I get a windows error message saying that the display error has occurred and has recovered but most of the times it just freezes completely and I have to reboot the computer.

I'm running this with EVGA 9800 GX2 and problems like this have never occurred before. I leave WoW on all day for a week and it never crashed down like this. Also I played Mass Effect on ultra settings and this has never happened before. I tried toning down the graphics on CoD MW2 and the problem still occurred. I downloaded the latest driver and even set the GPU fan at max speed while playing CoD. My GPU temperature idles around 70C and when I play WoW it goes up to about 80C. I am not sure what the temperature is when I'm playing CoD but I was told that the GPU is able to handle temp above 100C. Any ideas what the problem might be?

My specs:
Intel Core2Quad 2.66GHz (w/ Liquid Cooling)
EVGA nForce 780i SLI FTW
Thermaltake 1000W Power Supply
OCZ 8GB Memory
EVGA GeForce 9800GX2

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
When I read this "but I was told that the GPU is able to handle temp above 100C" I nearly choked. That just can't be right! Well according to Nvidia, the 9800 GX2 IS able to operate at up to 105C so I guess you were right on that.

I'd set everything at stock speeds (CPU/GPU) to see if that sorted out your problem. If it did, you likely have a power or a thermal problem as OC'd components will generate more heat and require more power.

G

please help me! i have a mac computer i just downloaded call of duty modern warfare 2 idk how to unzip it and when i open modern warfare my screen is black but i can hear music and sound....y does that happen??

please help me! i have a mac computer i just downloaded call of duty modern warfare 2 idk how to unzip it and when i open modern warfare my screen is black but i can hear music and sound....y does that happen??

Wrong thread retard second most games are incompatible with most macs except for those sporting an intel cpu and decent gpu.