Sign in with
Your question
Solved

650 dollar core i5 gaming pc first build

Last response: in Systems
November 27, 2009 11:43:26 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: today or monday BUDGET RANGE: $650 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, video converting, web browsing, benchmarking, photo editing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS, printer, desk, mousepad, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com microcenter (Detroit and website) amazon.com COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel processor (core i5) ati direct x 11 gpu

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: currently 1024x768 but I will get a 1920x1080 monitor soon.
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like my pc to be relatively quiet but I don't want to go crazy and use liquid cooling or something like that.

Intel Core i5 750
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP + SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ECS P55H-A(1.0)
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 24X DVD-R SATA
Antec 300
HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.B HD31000 IDK/7K (0A38016) 1TB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Retail
edit: I forgot to add that that comes to $640.88 with rebates.
Edit 2: I haven't got any responses yet and that might be because I forgot to add that I would like to know if these parts are compatible and if there is a way I could lower the cost without getting rid of features and/or get extra features without increasing the cost.
November 28, 2009 12:16:41 AM

Can you please give me advice about whether these parts are compatable and/or give me suggestions on what I should change; before newegg runs out?
m
l
November 28, 2009 12:53:49 AM

Can somebody please just confirm that these parts are compatible?
m
l
Related resources
November 28, 2009 1:12:41 AM

Oh and will I need to buy any cables? I don't think I will because I'm buying all retail parts but I want to make sure.
m
l
November 28, 2009 1:23:32 AM

I'm not a big ECS fan, I think you should get like a motherboard like this Gigabyte one.
m
l
November 28, 2009 1:35:00 AM

Finally a reply :)  thanks. That gigabyte board doesn't support sli or crossfire and I'd like that option available in the future without having to upgrade that much, plus the ECS board is cheaper. Other then that are there any other parts you recommend I change and is everything compatible? What about the cables?
m
l
November 28, 2009 3:12:29 AM

Hello? Does anyone know about the compatibility and/or have any suggestions on what I should change?
m
l
November 28, 2009 5:18:06 AM

If you buy a retail motherboard it will probably come with all the data cables that you will need, other than that are just power cables, from the psu.
m
l
November 28, 2009 5:27:34 AM

The prices that you have on those components are very interesting and very good actually, but I don't know if it is just me but I would fell safer buying components with more reviews, like your ram just have 1 review, the motherboard just have 12.
And by the way the gigabyte motherboard that I showed you is crossfire capable.
At the specifications tab, at features if you read you would see "Support ATI CrossFireX for ultimate graphics performance"
I bought a system 2 days ago and I was willing to buy the same psu that you have there until I posted a thread here and Sonic-Boom saved me showing those reviews Review 1
Review 2

Get this PSU
This memory
This Motherboard

(I'm going to build my first computer this week when my components arrive, so as I said I've done mistakes in the project of my build and asked here to be safe and it helped me, so I would at least wait to someone else in here answer this, but I think that it looks good that way)
m
l
November 28, 2009 10:25:07 AM

No that motherboard only has one PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot. That ram is ddr3 1600 but the motherboard you suggested only supports DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800. The psu is noisy, has too many 12 volt rails, and is less efficient then the one I chose. If I chose a different psu it would be a quiet one as I said in the op I want my pc to be relatively quiet.
Quote:
(I'm going to build my first computer this week when my components arrive, so as I said I've done mistakes in the project of my build and asked here to be safe and it helped me, so I would at least wait to someone else in here answer this, but I think that it looks good that way)
So why should you think you're an expert? Can I get some good advice please?

Edit: Did you even read any of my op other then which parts I chose? You didn't seem to know that I wanted my pc quiet (or that the psu you recommended was loud), you didn't seem to know my budget as those parts put me above budget.

Edit 2: read this: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/03/03/ocz_modxstrea... it says "So while the OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w did not pass our parameters it certainly belongs to the group of units that were "good," yet non-passing, as opposed to the units that were just a waste of good solder." and "HardOCP’s testing methodology is intended to very much push power supplies to their advertised wattage rating in temperatures that will represent some of the hottest computer enthusiast cases. So if a unit passes all our testing it is definitely not something to take lightly. In fact we expect more power supplies to fail our testing than make it through unscathed." They just test it at 45 degrees Celsius and the unit is only rated at 40 degrees Celsius.
m
l
November 28, 2009 3:01:40 PM

I know that I'm not an expert that's why I said that,and to wait someone else say somethig too. I know it's over your budget, but it's a kind of hard getting a good motherboard with a i5 and 5770.(I think I would downgrade for a amd build) if you want to buy this psu that is up to you. It can be normal some psu don't pass that test, but "after working with the OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro I am fully disappointed in this product""The unit’s build quality was decent but the component selection was certainly questionable and in the end the unit was unable to complete our testing at full power"
m
l
November 28, 2009 5:36:48 PM

No on the ECS board, They aren't a quality manufacturer. Get the HDD dmcfc recommended. What ever they tested the PSU for it failed, millions of other PSUs have passed that test, not to mention they said build quality and components were questionable. Do you really want $600 at the mercy of questionable parts? They mentioned in there the makers of some of the components had malware on the site. That a reputable company?
Look at this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It is sufficient for crossfire of 5770s and its built better than the 700w and above in the same series.
Heres reviews: http://www.ocia.net/reviews/oczmodxstream600/page1.shtm...
http://verdisreviews.com/reviews/ocz-modxstream-pro-600...
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/9562/40/1/0/
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ocz_mxs_pro_600...
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ocz_...
m
l
November 28, 2009 11:28:26 PM

No they tested it at 45 degrees Celsius when it's only rated at 40 degrees Celsius. I doubt my case will get that hot. Even so I think I might go with the 600 watt since it's better quality. What's wrong with the mobo?
@dmcfc that amd combo is no longer available and will end up costing more then my intel build, and the i5 is the better cpu, no contest.
m
l
November 28, 2009 11:36:34 PM

ECS is not a known quality board manufacturer plain and simple. Gigabyte and Asus are much more stable.
m
l
November 29, 2009 12:13:27 AM

the i5 is better than the amd phenom II x4 955 but the final price of the build you would save some money. Well this combo was a Dark Friday deal today is saturday that's why it's not available anymore. Maybe now you would want to go with a x3 720
m
l
November 29, 2009 12:25:17 AM

Really? an X3 720 rather then paying more for an i5? I have access to a microcenter so the i5 is only $150 and I can fit it inside my budget so why would I go with a vastly inferior product to save a few bucks?

edit: I'm going to go with the ecs mobo unless there is some huge reason not to, I have seen many reviews (such as this: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ecs_...) although the review mentioned said it only has crossfire in 8x but it's still a better deal then the other mobos. I might switch the psu though, but from what I've read it only will fail if you put it at temps higher then what it's rated for (HardOCP tested it at 45 degrees Celsius and it's now rated at 40 degrees Celsius, thats 104 degrees Fahrenheit, my case isn't going to get nearly that hot)

Edit 2: And by the way big name =/= quality.

Edit 3: The 600 watt version might not be better, hardocp was the only one who gave the 700 watt version a "bad" review and they haven't reviewed the 600 watt version yet. Hardocp is testing to see if it's an entusiast level power supply and there test uses 45 degrees Celsius and according to them it works well under 40 degrees Celsius but there tests just use 45 no matter what.
m
l
November 29, 2009 12:37:29 AM

You came here to ask for advice but don't want any.....have fun with the ECS.
m
l
November 29, 2009 12:38:09 AM

the price that you have for the i5 is very good, but the ecs motherboard is not good, i will look here for a good i5 motherboard in a reasonable price. really don't get this motherboard.
m
l
November 29, 2009 12:48:35 AM

I was looking at this because it have more review then the ASUS but I think both would be good motherboards.
m
l
November 29, 2009 1:07:27 AM

I want advice, just not on the motherboard, I want advice on the compatibility of the parts, and again I want REASONS the ecs is worse. That mobo you linked to is $40 more expensive and does not seem to have more features, or at least not more features I would use.
edit: That mobo doesn't have esata but the ecs one does.
m
l
November 29, 2009 1:13:37 AM

Sorry $30. But still the ecs board has esata and is cheaper. I'm probably going to order tonight so if anyone has any more suggestions please make them quickly. I'm much more likely to change the psu then the mobo.
m
l
November 29, 2009 1:19:24 AM

30 DOLLARS?? The Asus is $5 more...
m
l
November 29, 2009 1:25:00 AM

sonic-boom said:
30 DOLLARS?? The Asus is $5 more...

Including rebates. I mentioned that in the op.
"$88.99 after $26.00 Mail-In Rebate"
m
l
November 29, 2009 1:46:38 AM

I think that is what I should go with this calculator shows that even if I had a radeon 4890 (uses a lot more power) I would need 4 usb devices, 4 firewire devices, 6 120 mm fans, 5 120 mm fans with leds, 6 140 mm fans, and 5 140 mm fans with leds in adition to a dvd burner, and a 7200 rpm sata drive to go over 450 watts. Can somebody confirm this?
m
l
November 29, 2009 1:50:12 AM

I would go with the ocz then with a rosewill psu. The thing I can say about the motherboard is there are brands and brands, when people would give you the option between a volkswagen and a audi, they are owened by the same person, but i'm sure people would choose the audi. Same here ECS or ASUS or MSI, ASUS and MSI wins.
Why take such a risk?
m
l
November 29, 2009 1:56:47 AM

You would go with the ocz? Which one? The 600 watt or 700 watt? That asus seems to have fewer features in some areas. It's not a risk, if it doesn't work I RMA it.
m
l
November 29, 2009 2:02:16 AM

I have this psu, many others do to. Supports crossfire, sli
Antec ea650, you can't hear it at all. 79.99
The 8x 8x that the p55 boards have in crossfire or slI is standard for this chipset. There are only 16x lanes availlable. No p55 boards do 16x 16x. Its only a small % loss at the highest resolutions.
m
l
November 29, 2009 2:04:04 AM

notty22 said:
I have this psu, many others do to. Supports crossfire, sli
Antec ea650, you can't hear it at all. 79.99
The 8x 8x that the p55 boards have in crossfire or slI is standard for this chipset. There are only 16x lanes availlable. No p55 boards do 16x 16x. Its only a small % loss at the highest resolutions.

To expensive, that would push me way over budget, and I said that I don't need crossfire, and you sound like a spambot.

Edit: Just noticed comment about bandwidth, thanks.
m
l
November 29, 2009 2:09:10 AM

If you don't need crossfire get the gigabyte board that I said, that is better than this ecs.
m
l
November 29, 2009 2:11:48 AM

dmcfc said:
If you don't need crossfire get the gigabyte board that I said, that is better than this ecs.

I said I didn't need crossfire because I thought only having 8x would defeat the purpose, now I'd like crossfire though, and again which ocz psu would you go with?
Edit: The gigabyte is $104.99 while the ecs is $88.99 (after rebate).
Edit 2: That gigabyte has 57 percent 5 star reviews while the ecs has 66 percent 5 star reviews.
m
l
November 29, 2009 2:15:33 AM

sonic-boom said:
You came here to ask for advice but don't want any.....have fun with the ECS.

Agreed. The op does not know what he wants. He went from arguing quality for a feature, crossfire. Then
argues a opposite point to save 10 dollars on a psu. So you pair the lowest quality crossfire board with a psu that won't support it.
Good luck.
m
l
November 29, 2009 2:16:46 AM

notty22 said:
Agreed. The op does not know what he wants. He went from arguing quality for a feature, crossfire. Then
argues a opposite point to save 10 dollars on a psu. So you pair the lowest quality crossfire board with a psu that won't support it.
Good luck.

Not $10, a lot more, as I mentioned in the op this is including rebates. And I said I didn't want crossfire because I thought it only having 8x in crossfire made it perform significantly slower. Not having crossfire would be okay but I'd rather have crossfire so I can buy another 5770 in a few years.

Edit: I also mentioned esata as a feature, and it's saving $30 dollars on a mobo.

This is INCLUDING REBATES nobody here seems to understand that.

The gpu is $180 on it's own and the psu + gpu bundle is 200 dollars including rebates, so thats the same as the psu being $20. Did you even read what my budget is? $650

If you can find the parts for a $650 dollar build with an i5, 5770, a gigabyte/asus mobo, and a good quality quiet antec psu I would buy the parts and build it without hesitation.
m
l

Best solution

November 29, 2009 2:29:11 AM

If you want a good i5 system you will have to raise your budget for at least 100 dollars, with $750 it's possible to build a good computer with the i5, otherwise go for amd, or as notty22 said get the lowest quality crossfire board with a psu that won't support it.
November 29, 2009 2:31:12 AM

dmcfc said:
If you want a good i5 system you will have to raise your budget for at least 100 dollars, with $750 it's possible to build a good computer with the i5, otherwise go for amd, or as notty22 said get the lowest quality crossfire board with a psu that won't support it.

Thank you for finally being honest about it and not just ignoring my budget and saying "get this instead." Best answer.
m
l
November 29, 2009 2:39:52 AM

Foxconn and ECS make "good" electronics. Foxconn makes a lot of oem boards. But if your building your own VS getting a 900 Dell or HP I5 system I think its probably partly so you can choose higher performing parts. If you look at the pictures of the base ECS board vs the 150 dollar gigabytes, Asus you can see the difference in the voltage capacitors, heat sink around the cpu socket. Its like night and day. This is where the extta money is going. Will you EVER get a payoff from this type of a upgrade ? I don't know. Thats up to you. Look for combo deals with the ram and motherboard. maybe you can get that 'better' motherboard with a 25.00 discount. ECS makes black series boards, the features in those are what you might get in the Asus, Gigabyte without them even calling attention to it. Its what they are known for.
m
l
November 29, 2009 4:17:50 AM

You just forgot to add the i5 to that list, but i know you meant to,xD,I'm not sure about this ram as there is just one review, but besides that it looks really good.xD
m
l
November 29, 2009 4:18:48 AM

Yes I forgot it because I'm buying the cpu in a physical store and I know I won't change the cpu.

edit: I actually already started another thread with my new budget because I didn't get any responses here. oops hope that's OK with the mods.
m
l
November 29, 2009 4:21:18 AM

What about this ram
m
l
April 4, 2010 7:31:54 PM

EDIT: i'm an idiot, ignore this I bumped an old thread so sorry!
m
l
!