Sign in with
Your question

New Overclockers

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 225 K Overclocking
May 6, 2012 5:19:27 PM

First off, I mean no direct disrespect to anyone here, There are no names called or referenced to anyone at all.

But as the saying goes regarding the below comments, "If the shoe fits, wear it!".

There are so many of you new to overclocking first timers flooding the section lately with your quick fix, help me, help me, questions.

If you intend to overclock, take the time and learn what you are doing, FIRST, not after you've gotten yourself in trouble, because you thought it was going to be easier than it actually is.

Because you attempted overclocking in partial ignorance!

I'm not saying you are ignorant and cannot learn, I'm saying you tried to apply, with only partial knowledge of what you really needed to know, meaning you were ignorant of the rest of what you needed to know!

It is easy for us that have been doing it for years, because we take for granted some of what you need to know to even make baby steps to accomplish your overclocking goals.

Anyway you look at it overclocking is taking your hardware's specifications beyond the initial limits of the hardware, and you need to learn how to do it, and how it affects other parts of your setup.

How do you handle the additional generated heat, what damage can additional voltage do instantly?

It's not a simple matter of punch in these numbers and we'll be good to go, because Bill did it, but Bill may know a heck of a lot more than you do, have you considered that in your assumptions.

The guides are here, and all across the internet, to help you the reader, accomplish your goals, do you think the guide writers don't know what they are doing?

They are way beyond knowing what they are doing so far ahead of you, they can share what they've learned with you, and have taken the time to do so, but they are not going to do it for you, that is your responsibility, they have done their part!

If you cannot understand the BIOS setting terminology in the guides for manually overclocking, don't overclock until you do, if you don't understand some terminology in a guide, ask specifically about what you don't understand or Google it, regarding the guide you're trying to use!

Enough of this crying and whining about, I've tried every guide across the net, and none work for me, Help Me Please!

Unfortunately your problem is not that the guide won't work for you that's helped thousands accomplish their goals, your problem is, you are too lazy to dedicate yourself to learning what you need to know to accomplish your goals, so you beg and cry for a quick fix.

If you are going to take on the responsibility of overclocking, take on the responsibility for learning how to do it first!

LEARN FIRST, THEN DO!

If you don't learn what you are doing now and get a solid base under you, do you think you'll get quick fixes all your life, what do you do when the quick fixes are no longer available to you, and you have to stand on your own.

Think About It! Ryan

Additionally: Have you taken into consideration some of the quick fixes you may be relying on, came from those exactly like you, that just learned a couple of tricks themselves to share, that 2 weeks earlier were in your same shoes, and that actually have no more solid grounded experience than you do!

I see that happening here all the time! (The Blind Leading The Blind!)

And that's where you're getting your advice, do you think you'll be a pro in 2 weeks and be advising others?

It's much safer to trust the guides that were written to help you accomplish your overclock goals, Overclocking is serious and not to be taken lightly, the dark side of overclocking is, it can cost you your entire investment.

More about : overclockers

a c 286 K Overclocking
May 6, 2012 6:03:47 PM

Excellent words sir. ;) 
a c 225 K Overclocking
May 6, 2012 6:36:58 PM

Thank You German!

I hope all is well with you and your family! Ry
Related resources
a c 225 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 9:12:43 AM

Thanks Mike!

I'm just saying what a lot of us are thinking! Ry
May 7, 2012 9:29:05 AM

4Ryan6 said:
Thank You German!

I hope all is well with you and your family! Ry

Why you don't got class [ Status ] ?
[ You used to be mod but now ? Just curious to know dont take this personal N How to be Mod ]
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 10:10:42 AM

He retired from Mod duties to concentrate on other things :) 
I'd like to say this is long overdue and a good thread Ry, but if they don't read the 'read this first' stickies, I am doubtful this will get a look at either unfortunately
:( 
Moto
May 7, 2012 10:26:48 AM

[ How To Be Mod ? 2nd ]
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 10:31:08 AM

I'm not too sure to be honest, contribute good advice and be a good member, I'm sure it would be noticed,
offer your services to the management, maybe contact a current mod and ask how they got the job
Moto
a c 225 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 10:35:48 AM

THE UNKNOWN said:
Why you don't got class [ Status ] ?
[ You used to be mod but now ? Just curious to know dont take this personal N How to be Mod ]

PM an active mod.
a c 225 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 10:41:05 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
I'd like to say this is long overdue and a good thread Ry, but if they don't read the 'read this first' stickies, I am doubtful this will get a look at either unfortunately
:( 
Moto

So true Moto! So True! :pfff: 

When you're ready to pull your hair out, it can always be linked to! :)  Ry
May 7, 2012 10:44:51 AM

4Ryan6 said:
PM an active mod.

[Dont get me wrong] [ What's PM ? ] :) 
a c 225 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 11:16:35 AM

THE UNKNOWN said:
[Dont get me wrong] [ What's PM ? ] :) 

Seriously?

A PM is a Private Message.

If you are that new here you do not even know what a PM is, you'll need to have some time in the forum so your posting history can be investigated, to see how you deal with others.

Meaning you have to have time in the forums, you have not even got 1 month under your belt here and it takes time in the forums before you'll ever be considered for a moderator position.

You can still PM an active moderator to express your interest in becoming a moderator.

Your best option now is just enjoy using the forums and get some time in here.

a c 190 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 11:16:35 AM

Private message
Moto
May 7, 2012 11:42:50 AM

4Ryan6 said:
Seriously?

A PM is a Private Message.

If you are that new here you do not even know what a PM is, you'll need to have some time in the forum so your posting history can be investigated, to see how you deal with others.

Meaning you have to have time in the forums, you have not even got 1 month under your belt here and it takes time in the forums before you'll ever be considered for a moderator position.

You can still PM an active moderator to express your interest in becoming a moderator.

Your best option now is just enjoy using the forums and get some time in here.

I asked status cause i never seen Retried Mod Here.
a c 225 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 11:56:24 AM

THE UNKNOWN said:
I asked status cause i never seen Retried Mod Here.

I was an active moderator for close to 5 years, I decided to resign from the position and the fellow moderators voted to give me an honorary title, retired moderator.

You can familiarize yourself with the Rules of Conduct and the Terms of Use, that's what the mod team use to apply sanctions if those rules are violated by the THGF user, that will help you in understanding where the lines are drawn here so you don't cross them and have problems here yourself.

Part of the consideration for moderator or community reporter position is have you been a good contributor here, or a trouble maker, so stay on the good side of things, enjoy your time here and one day you may be considered for a moderator position.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257700-29-read-first

http://www.tomshardware.com/terms.html
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 12:17:38 PM

** I decided to resign from the position and the fellow moderators voted to give me an honorary title**

Like Master Yoda truly you are it seems...

Algae and gloop, the trees filter Hrummph!
:p 
Moto
May 7, 2012 1:30:29 PM

I'm one of those people who doesn't feel like putting in the research to overclock.
so I don't. I have no problem running my computer stock.
a c 225 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 2:13:57 PM

mrsaber said:
I'm one of those people who doesn't feel like putting in the research to overclock.
so I don't. I have no problem running my computer stock.

What did Clint Eastwood say? "Every Man Has To Know His Limitations!"

I'm curious as to why you're in the Overclocking Section?

If you stay in here long enough the Overclocking Bug will bite you. :) 
a c 286 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 2:19:14 PM

4Ryan6 said:
What did Clint Eastwood say? "Every Man Has To Know His Limitations!"

I'm curious as to why you're in the Overclocking Section?

If you stay in here long enough the Overclocking Bug will bite you. :) 

Curiosity :) 
a c 225 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 2:21:36 PM

Quote:
I can be useful, but i have been known to get into fights, so i doubt my suitability as a CR or a MOD :/ 

You just don't take any crap from anyone, but I have seen you apologize if you went too far, IMO that's the true character of a man!

a c 225 K Overclocking
May 8, 2012 12:49:59 PM

It could possibly have been an attempt to get those involved to straighten their own selves out, so he did not have to take a hard line to resolve the issue.

I cannot speak for every moderator only myself, I never took any joy in banning someone from THGF, unless they cussed me out in a PM. (Not the best course of action to take, against a person with the power to erase you from this website!)

Even then, I would give them a time period to rethink what they had said in anger, because I was just doing my job.

I am one of the moderators (Past Tense), that had actually allowed someone to return to THGF after they apologized.

Unfortunately many choose a different route because of pride.

You've got good moderators here and they operate as a team, and they would just as soon not have to deal with any regular users as the website is constantly bombarded with spammers.

The simplest solution, don't kick the sleeping dragon, and you won't have to deal with it. Ry

!