Sign in with
Your question

System repair Aughhhh

Last response: in Components
February 9, 2010 6:45:17 AM

Ok my power was "flickering" the other day and well ever scince my computer keeps making me run system repair and well it always finds the same problem; disk errors. and well when evver it does its 1-2 hour thing my pc comes out working fine. only REAL dammage i see is a loss of a few frames in my games with my GTX260 i probly cant fix that. but the real issue is how do i fix my hardrive up so it dosent do system repair annymore?

More about : system repair aughhhh

February 9, 2010 6:50:23 AM

sounds like your hard disk has sustained damage..

I would seriously suggest you clone this to a new drive to keep your data..
February 9, 2010 6:55:20 AM

how would i go about doing this?
Related resources
February 9, 2010 6:59:06 AM

i have heard of cloning a HDD before but i have never done it
February 9, 2010 8:28:30 AM

Good idea to clone the drive, but to save you time finding out how to clone and the best software to use, i would just copy/backup your important data onto another HDD or DVD as soon as possible. Then once you have your data backed up, then worry about cloning the drive.
February 9, 2010 9:37:37 AM

zbrains said:
i have heard of cloning a HDD before but i have never done it

get another hard disk and an external hard drive caddy - make sure its the right one either sata or ide..

then get acronis, then clone the hard disk.
February 9, 2010 10:17:45 AM

Or simply plug the second drive into the computer. Much faster.
February 9, 2010 10:53:08 AM

You may be cloning file corruption, in your situation I'd backup whats important and install the operating system fresh on the new HDD, then transfer the important files to the new HDD.

It sounds from your description you're on the verge of total HDD failure, so you'd better backup your important data as quick as you can.

I would not clone a failing HDD, cloning is really for healthy HDDs, to just upgrade to a larger capacity or faster HDD than the one you're running, because cloning will also clone problems.
February 9, 2010 2:31:20 PM

4Ryan6 said:
You may be cloning file corruption, in your situation I'd backup whats important and install the operating system fresh on the new HDD, then transfer the important files to the new HDD.

It sounds from your description you're on the verge of total HDD failure, so you'd better backup your important data as quick as you can.

I would not clone a failing HDD, cloning is really for healthy HDDs, to just upgrade to a larger capacity or faster HDD than the one you're running, because cloning will also clone problems.

ive cloned hard disks which show these errors and 90% of the time - no errors are copied accross

and ive cloned over 50 hard disks this way.

if the machine boots in to windows then it would be ok.. it saves so much time and effort doing it anyother way but as ryan says..

time is on your hands before a total hard disk failure

i wouldnt switch it of if i were you op.
!