Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H no post problem

Last response: in Motherboards
June 6, 2010 2:13:46 PM

Hello,
I have problem with this mobo.
Everytime i restart my computer, it will not show post. after clear cmos or take out the ram, it will enter bios. but if reset the pc, it will not show bios again

My specs:
AMD Athlon II X2 245
1 X Corsair RAM 2gb DDR3 1333
Western Digital 640 Gb Green

Have tried the sticky for Gigabyte mobo problem and updated the BIOS

Any advice?

Thank you
June 6, 2010 3:02:42 PM

- Be sure you placed the CMOS jumper back on the default pins (usually 1 & 2)
- Replace CMOS Battery or take a voltmeter to current CMOS battery
- Check the battery receptacle on the motherboard to be sure the contacts are touching battery poles
- If you flashed the BIOS in Windows, try the flash again outside of Windows

I hope this helps! Good luck!
m
l
June 6, 2010 3:05:30 PM

Thanks for the reply

I did not placed the CMOS jumper...
I took out the battery and replaced it but same prob still happen.
I flashed the BIOS thru Q-Flash...

Any other idea?
Could it be because of single ram that i use???
m
l
Related resources
June 6, 2010 3:11:12 PM

1) Do you receive any beep error codes when there is no POST?

2) When screen is blank (no POST) - does it stay blank, or does it continue to boot operating system?
m
l
June 6, 2010 3:18:34 PM

1) Unfortunately i have no speaker for now...

2) It stays blank.

The problem is that if i managed to boot to windows and restart, it will show blank screen and no post.
m
l
June 6, 2010 3:28:39 PM

Is the video card built in to the motherboard or is it a separate add-in card?
If it is an add-in card, what type of slot does it use on the motherboard?
m
l
June 6, 2010 3:30:59 PM

I use the built in video card.

m
l
June 6, 2010 3:36:40 PM

- If you have access to an add-in video card, try to boot with that.
- Get a PC speaker because that's your best bet to diagnosing the problem. That little speaker is the only way your motherboard can communicate with you when your video fails.
- Once you get into BIOS, change the video settings to lower quality for a fail-safe video boot.

That is the extent of my knowledge. Maybe someone with more knowledge can help you more. Good luck!
m
l
June 6, 2010 3:41:51 PM

thanks for the tips and advice...
really appreciate it
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 6, 2010 7:55:12 PM

Is this a new build? Has it ever worked, or is this a new symptom?
m
l
June 8, 2010 6:18:52 AM

yes it is new build...
i just added a new ram.
the same thing still happens.
after restart no post.
m
l
a c 77 V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 6:21:12 AM

There's a checklist for troubleshooting this exact problem in my signature. It gives you a methodical method of troubleshooting if you perform EVERY step.
m
l
June 8, 2010 8:22:20 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I have followed the troubleshoot that you suggested before i post this question.

m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 4:00:47 PM

Well, this is kind of 'more of the same', but it sounds like time for a 'strip-down':

Mind you, there are two ways to do this: you can do it either in or out of the case. The advantages and drawbacks:in the case is easier and faster, but will not find case-related problems, like shorts from extra, mispositioned standoffs, or ground plane problems; out of the case takes longer, and you may run into 'reach' problems - power supply cables and front panel power switch headers may not be long enough; for the power supply, it's usually just a matter of removing four screws to temorarily relocate it; for the power switch, you can just do this (very carefully):

You only need to short the pins momentarily - that's all the power switch does...Out of the case also affords you an easy opportunity to 'flip' the board to check your heatsink/fan attachment setup, to be sure all the pins are fully seated, locked, and not cracked... If you do the out of the case, you need to lay the board on a non-conductive surface: the box the MOBO came in is ideal, someone recently suggested a phone book which is excellent; but - the foam pad it came with, and the bag it was in are not - being 'antistat', they are somewhat conductive, and may induce problems...

Another item worth mention at this point is case speakers: if you haven't got one - get one!
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html
A lot of people operate under the misaprehension that the 'diagnostic beeps' should come through the speakers attached to their sound-card/chip - not so! Your three hundred dollar Altec-Lansings won't do you any good here - you have to have a case speaker attached to the front panel header, and, often by this point, it's the only diagnostic info you'll have to go on...

The standard 'strip-down':

Power down at PSU switch
remove everything except
CPU and heatsink/fan (check carefully that the fan retaining pins are fully inserted, completely locked, and not cracked)
one stick of RAM, in slot closest to CPU
video card and monitor connector (if more than one PCIe slot, again, in slot closest to CPU)
all power plugs - 20+4 or 24, 2x2 or 2x4 ATX power, graphics card power
case speaker and power switch connectors
keyboard (don't need a mouse at this point)
place jumper on RST_CMOS pins
remove jumper from RST_CMOS pins
power up at PSU switch
power up by depressing case power switch (or shorting the 'power' pins...)
If you get video, enter BIOS with <DEL> (may need a <TAB> to get to POST screen, if 'splash' screen is enabled)
Select and execute "Load Optimized Defaults" - save and exit, reboot
power down
reinsert other components, one at a time, testing each time after addition...

m
l
June 8, 2010 5:41:44 PM

thanks for the expansive explanation above...
I have narrow down the problem.
If i used single channel by placing in slot 1 and 3 or 2 and 4, there is no prob, able to boot and restart.
However , If i placed in slot 1 and 2 or 3 and 4, enabling the dual channel will boot to windows and after restart, no post. in this matter, i have to reseat the ram to show post.

Is this weird or what???
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 6:29:37 PM

Try this - power down, put one stick in; power up and do a 'load optimized defaults'; <F10> to save, exit, and reboot; enter the BIOS, on the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page of the BIOS, change "Set Memory Clock" from "auto" to "manual", and "Memory Clock" from "X6.66" to "X5.33"; once again, <F10> to save, exit, and reboot; power down, put your second stick in the correct 'two-channel' slot; power back up and see if it works... Also, might try 'fiddling with' "DCTs Mode" - some setups will work one way, and won't the other - in real-world use, it really doesn't matter all that much.
m
l
a c 77 V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 6:29:53 PM

It's actually a fairly common problem. It sounds like you just need to manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to their rated values in the BIOS. Many motherboards don't supply the RAM with enough voltage when running multiple sticks of RAM and using "auto" settings.
m
l
June 9, 2010 10:03:07 AM

is there any safe config that i can use for the ram?
Does it mean that i have to lower the ram speed to 1066??
how bout the voltage and timings?
m
l
a c 77 V Motherboard
June 9, 2010 2:29:47 PM

No, you don't have to lower the speed. You just manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to the values they're meant to run at. I can't tell you what those values should be unless you give me the exact model number of your RAM. There are a lot of Corsair DDR3 1333 RAM kits out there that run at different timings and voltages. Your RAM will have a sticker on it that lists exactly what the values should be set to.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 9, 2010 2:33:39 PM

If you will give me the Corsair part number - I'll see what I can find out. RAM speed support is on a 'per-processor' basis for AMDs; high speeds in dual channel, and, I think, with two DIMMs per channel, are supported by BE's only; others work in 'families', and I think yours may be kind of far down the 'food chain', unfotunately. 1066 should work, as it's JEDEC standard for DDR3... Deifinitly give it a try...
m
l
June 9, 2010 3:26:35 PM

thanks all for the reply.
will try to look up the RAM model number as soon i get home.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2010 8:53:40 PM

You can only run 1066 on this mobo read manual first...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2010 8:56:22 PM

only 2 sticks -yelow slots
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2010 9:05:37 PM

ups my mistake was thinking about GA-MA785GM-US2H,sorry
m
l
June 14, 2010 1:50:20 PM

hi guys
been away for sometime.
i only found vs2gb1333d3
is that enough info??
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 14, 2010 2:51:40 PM

That number appears to be some older p/n, that is no longer listed at Corsair - unfortunately, the only reference I could find was not helpful:
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=86691
except to 'confirm' your problem!

Have you tried the above procedure?
Quote:
Try this - power down, put one stick in; power up and do a 'load optimized defaults'; <F10> to save, exit, and reboot; enter the BIOS, on the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page of the BIOS, change "Set Memory Clock" from "auto" to "manual", and "Memory Clock" from "X6.66" to "X5.33"; once again, <F10> to save, exit, and reboot; power down, put your second stick in the correct 'two-channel' slot; power back up and see if it works... Also, might try 'fiddling with' "DCTs Mode" - some setups will work one way, and won't the other - in real-world use, it really doesn't matter all that much.

Might also try the above, and 'bumping' the DDR voltage to 1.65V.
Does that give you two channel? Would help to know, as at this point, we need to 'sort out' hardware problems from compatibility/setup problems...
m
l
June 22, 2010 2:51:34 PM

hi guys i tried the tips above...
but everytime boot up and post, it will show that overclocking has faced a problem.
so i bought the pc speaker and everytime it does not post, it has continuous beep and that mean graphic card error.
the prob is that i uses the internal gc and i set bios to boot from built in vga.

any tips guys???
m
l
June 22, 2010 3:12:13 PM

Is your Power Supply sufficient to Power up all the components ? What wattage are you using ?
m
l
June 22, 2010 3:26:21 PM

yes, it should be sufficient.
i am using the cooler master extreme 460w.
m
l
!