I've already ordered the following parts to start my new system:

i7 920 Processor
Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Mobo
6GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
Cooler Master HAF 932 Case
Samsung T240HD Monitor

I'm adding those parts to some parts I already have:

Corsair 750 Watt PSU
240 GB Hard Drive (Plan on getting a Samsung Spinpoint 500GB when I have the money / after the GPU upgrade)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
HD 4890 Sapphire GPU

I have two questions:
1) If I buy another 4890 to use in crossfire, I know there will be a lot of extra heat. Will the space on my mobo be ideal for this? That is, does my new Asus mobo have enough room between the two PCI-E slots to release heat without excess overheating?

2) I have my current card overclocked. How does overclocking work with two cards? Is it good to do since it will create more heat?

Thanks for the responses!
December 1, 2009 4:59:35 PM

1) The deluxe has the 2 slots between the (2) PCI-E slots for crossfire. I have the P6T non-deluxe and there is only one. I ran into tons of heat issues with (2) 4870's. You should fair better as long as you keep the air moving in your case.

2)I would work with them stock off the bat. But you can use the ATI CCC to overclock the cards once you make sure you have no heat or other issues.

Good luck. (2) 4890's are pretty strong. They do suck a bit of juice though. I ended up selling my (2) 4870's and getting a 5870. But like I said I had heat issues because I had virtually no space between my cards.
m
l
December 1, 2009 5:24:44 PM

Yeah, I had definitely considered selling my current HD 4890 and getting a HD 5870. Problem is they are outta stock everywhere and it would also cost me around $100 more. I'd rather spend money on a new single graphics card towards the end of next year.

I have a question about overclocking them...is it the same in CCC for two cards as it is for one when overclocking? I mean do I have to set an overclock for each card or just one that both cards read? I've never ran two graphics cards so I was just wondering how that works. Also, my board will run both of these at x16 right? And the two x16 slots have two slots between them?

I thought about getting a video card aftermarket cooler, but I don't know where to find them or how to install. I saw some slot coolers that exhaust heat out the back of the case....are these worth a couple bucks??

Thanks
m
l
December 1, 2009 5:55:19 PM

I'd throw the 2nd card in and see what happens first before worrying about heat.

I think you have to set the speed for each card in CCC. There is a drop down to select each card.
m
l
!