Best Memory Pairing for Phenom II X4 955 Deneb

bosey85

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hi guys, I am a newbie to Tom's forums and I have one question about my new build im getting into. I already picked my processor and motherboard. I am going with the [AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor] and an [MSI NF980-G65 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard ]. The question is what type of memory pairing do I use? I am trying not to spend over 150 bucks on memory. I have heard people talking about intel cpu's being best paired with 3GB and 6GB of ram and AMD cpu's being paired in 2,4 and 8GB pairs (DDR3 Memory). I am not sure if this is true though, if you know please enlighten me. Also, is better to get 4-1GB sticks, 2-2GB sticks? Any suggestions on brand and type? I am trying to get the best performance out of my rig, as I am using it for extreme gaming (Crysis and upcoming Crysis 2) and Hi-Def movie playback. I am using 2 gtx 260's in sli in my current rig and am going to transfer to the new rig. Please, I need all the help and knowledge I can get. Thank you guys in advance :love: .

Solution
^The 1st option is DDR2, that don't work in an AM3 mobo.

THIS is a good option for you.

Good, I also prefer nVidia, in fact, I have a GTX260 too.

With 2x2GB you have the option to add more memory in the future, both opperates at the same speed.
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

What is your budget?

1- My firts advice, change the mobo for one with AMD chipset. THIS is a very good mobo.

2- The 6GB is for some i7 series, that can support tri-channel. AMD 'till now don't support the tri-channle. So, with 4GB (2x2GB) is fine for now. With 2x2GB, you have the posibility to add another 2x2GB in the future.

Brands: Corsair, Crucial, OCZ, G.Skill. Those are the best.

3- You can get a 5850, or like me, wait 'till Fermi comes out.

bosey85

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Thanks for the input that clears a whole bunch up for me. However, I am on a pretty tight budget so I am not in the market for a new video card as of yet. Also I have nothing against ATI, but I am a Nvidia guy. So, I need a motherboard that supports Nvidia SLI because of the 2 gtx 260's I am going to transfer from my old rig. I like the fact also that the motherboard I chose incorperates tri-SLI so I can purchase another Nvidia gtx 260 later if I wanted. Again thank you for your input. So given what you said, 2-2GB sticks would opperate the same as 4-1GB sticks? And also can I get some recomended DDR3 ram for a high-performance gaming rig? Thank you soo much again for your input saint19. Anymore feedback? Thanks in advance :love: .

^The 1st option is DDR2, that don't work in an AM3 mobo.

THIS is a good option for you.

Good, I also prefer nVidia, in fact, I have a GTX260 too.

With 2x2GB you have the option to add more memory in the future, both opperates at the same speed.

Solution