Sign in with
Your question

How should i arrange my files?

Last response: in Storage
October 28, 2011 12:30:30 PM

Hi, i have just built my new PC. Storage is currently setup as follows.

256GB Kinston V100 SSD- windows 7 ultimate installed. (running on SATAII, will this SSD support SATAIII?)

Raid 1 Pair of WD 1TB Caviar Black.

Just wondering, if i should do this: http://www.overclock.net/ssd/664738-how-setup-ssd-boot-...

This will get my user files and such onto the RAID system.

Opinions from others with large SSD's would be great.

Thanks

More about : arrange files

a b G Storage
October 28, 2011 1:12:12 PM

That is a Sata 2 drive it will not run at Sata 3 speeds, but would work fine on a Sata 3 controller.

I would not use WD Black drives in a Raid set, they will likely start to drop out of the array at some point. Some people have had reasonable results using them in raid sets, but WD specifically sets up the firmware for them to fail out of raid sets using TLER to force you into buying their RE line of drives.

Yes I would move your data to the Raid 1 (again, i wouldn't run it with WD drives) set so it's semi redundant and gives you a lot more room. I would not go through everything in that link you posted, I would just follow the portions to move your user folders not program files etc.
October 28, 2011 1:33:17 PM

tomatthe said:
That is a Sata 2 drive it will not run at Sata 3 speeds, but would work fine on a Sata 3 controller.

I would not use WD Black drives in a Raid set, they will likely start to drop out of the array at some point. Some people have had reasonable results using them in raid sets, but WD specifically sets up the firmware for them to fail out of raid sets using TLER to force you into buying their RE line of drives.

Yes I would move your data to the Raid 1 (again, i wouldn't run it with WD drives) set so it's semi redundant and gives you a lot more room. I would not go through everything in that link you posted, I would just follow the portions to move your user folders not program files etc.

I've never had a problem with my WD Black RAID. Had them almost a year now and have repeatedly filled the drives and erased them on benchmarks.
Related resources
October 28, 2011 1:39:56 PM

im not sure i believe that they would design them to fail in a raid, thats just ridiculous. You probably just got unlucky.

Im not quite sure which part of the guide i would need to do to just move the user files, can you help with this?
October 28, 2011 2:01:55 PM

quote from that article. "Desktop Class Hard Drives are tested and recommended for use in consumer-type RAID applications (RAID-0 / RAID-1)"

I have a RAID 1, so they recommend it. im guessing you had a different raid setup that caused a failure, or your motherboard was faulty/didn't support WD raid?

That other article look good. Overclocking atm, up to 4.7GHz :-D
a b G Storage
October 28, 2011 2:20:20 PM

Fair enough on the Raid setup. I was using Raid 5.
October 28, 2011 2:52:41 PM

just finding so many guides on moving user files, not sure which one to use :/ 

a b G Storage
October 28, 2011 2:56:36 PM

Well I just wanted to move, Pictures, Music, Movies as those were 99% of my data, and if you right click on them open properties and go to location, you can move those folders individually that way. It's simple and quick.
October 28, 2011 3:10:38 PM

do you get any issues doing it like that? why doesn't everybody do that?
a b G Storage
October 28, 2011 3:32:24 PM

No issues, I guess people want the actual Users folder fully moved over or something. I'm not terribly sure, but it did everything I needed and I've used that setup on many machines without issue.
October 28, 2011 3:41:32 PM

cheers, i have done it. I think it will be fine for me. Keep most of my music, documents and media on my mac anyway. Got pc mostly for gaming
!