Sign in with
Your question

Dirt 2 Official Demo released! Test out your DX 11 cards !

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2009 2:07:05 PM

More about : dirt official demo released test cards

a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2009 2:54:31 PM

Hey WTF, it doesn't work on my GMA X3100 here at work, says I need DX11 hardware, but it clearly shows DirectX11 in my dxdiag so why the heck won't it work !?! :heink: 

:whistle: 

m
l
December 1, 2009 3:33:40 PM

I tried it last night, honesly couldnt tell any difference between dx9 and dx11 (tried on xp and win7)

Postprocessing was better on Win7 but other than that couldnt tell much difference.

Anyone?
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2009 3:42:49 PM

yeah very little difference for this 1, but it is still a demo so we only hope.

min frame rate: 60

Avg is 70

With everything maxed and 8X MSAA

Resolution is 1280x1024
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2009 4:18:17 PM

Wheres the Physx option, surely its crap without Physx
m
l
December 1, 2009 5:18:46 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Wheres the Physx option, surely its crap without Physx

Wait there is no physx option? then where is the dirt physics? the game is called dirt it need dirt physics! On a side note bah nvidia give me a dx11 card so i can buy one already, in compliance that the card isn't a waste of my money.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2009 8:09:01 PM

Recommended Specifications: Enhanced for DirectX 11
OS
Microsoft Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7
Processor
Intel Core i7 or AMD Phenom II
Memory
3GB
HD Space
10GB
Video Card
ATi Radeon HD 5700 Series

Minimum Specifications:
OS
Microsoft Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7
Processor
Intel Pentium D 3.0Ghz
AMD Athlon 64 X2
Memory
1GB (2Gb for Windows Vista)
HD Space
10GB
Video Card
ATI Radeon X1500
NVIDIA GeForce 6800

Pentium D, Geforce 6800 ? Game will play with that hardware. LOL to dx11
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2009 8:47:25 PM

I have a 4770 win7
1680x1050
default settiings
2 AA
all on high, at least 8 variables
47 avg

changed to no AA
all settings down one notch from high (some go up one to MAX)
avg 72
m
l
December 2, 2009 7:14:39 PM

does anyone else lag super bad in the trailer? when im in the trailer i get like 1 fps and when i step out side automaticly i go to 40 fps i hope the finale version isn't like this

btw i have a 3850 and a athlon x2 5000+ (@3.0 ghz)
m
l
December 2, 2009 7:50:14 PM

The press release says that bigges improvement are in water and people graphics (Tessalation makes fases to look like they have more triangles) Does the demo confirm any of these "improvements"?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 1:52:18 PM

I was wondering why my framerates with dx10/4770 seemed high (compared to other comments), it seems DX 11 is running 30 to 40% SLOWER than dx10. Heres a review with screenshots...........also how to force dx 9 on a dx11 card, which might be necessary for some.
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/12/01/directx-11...
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 3:10:44 PM

No DX10 and no SLi = a pile of poo that should be boycotted as it's bad business practice that a game developed by AMD/ATi does not fully support Nvidia cards. :whistle: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 7:03:00 PM

notty22 said:
I was wondering why my framerates with dx10/4770 seemed high (compared to other comments), it seems DX 11 is running 30 to 40% SLOWER than dx10.

That's actually 30% slower than DX9, not DX10, with no soft shadows and it looks like no self-shadowing either, so not quite the same level of effects and things like dynamic lighting don't really show up in a still.

Overall, it's still early, but I never expected much for a performance speed-up, it's somewhat similar to process changes companies could make chips more efficient, cooler and more reliable or they could clock them higher, they chose what people can point to and say 'that's different', which would be the same for speed, there's little benefit in them using DX11 to go from 80fps to 100 fps, and few people who would say 'oh that's different', however change the lighting or something then there is evidence of change, even if it's far from compelling to most people. Do you remember the differences between DX9 & DX10 in COH? Yeah tufts of grass and slightly better boulders, not very impressive, but it's a start leading towards things more impressive, heck Stalker's early DX11 ye-candy is more impressive as a demo.

m
l
December 3, 2009 9:20:07 PM

People people!

Almost all of you above (before). If you don't have a Ati 5000 series card, and Win7 or Vista (with the update) YOU DO NOT HAVE A DIRECT X 11 system. Thus you won't see any changes or benifits or jack trying to run a DirectX11 demo.

Yes, you can have DirectX11 the software installed, but it doesn't make your hardware suddenly do anything new.

For Example:
Notty22, does not have a DirectX 11 system, he/she has a DirectX10.1 system.
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 9:26:52 PM

MCMunroe said:
People people!

Almost all of you above (before). If you don't have a Ati 5000 series card, and Win7 or Vista (with the update) YOU DO NOT HAVE A DIRECT X 11 system. Thus you won't see any changes or benifits or jack trying to run a DirectX11 demo.

Yes, you can have DirectX11 the software installed, but it doesn't make your hardware suddenly do anything new.

For Example:
Notty22, does not have a DirectX 11 system, he/she has a DirectX10.1 system.

With all the noise made about how ATi cards have been able to do DX10.1 for ages and Nvidia is only now deciding to support it you would have thought that a game developed with ATi would at the very least show us what we are supposed to have been missing.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 9:50:06 PM

It's simple marketing sense. Codemasters are no doubt making a lot of money on Dirt 2 being bundled with the 5xxx's.

Nvidia aren't being deliberately discluded here - they were supposed to have their own Dx11 part out by now remember? When they do, they'll have a fully working Dx11 Dirt 2 I'm sure.
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 9:59:51 PM

Well as the demo does not support SLi I'm calling bad business practice as the ATi crowd did with Batman AA, as every game should support all cards equally regardless of who paid for it's development, remember?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 4:38:44 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Well as the demo does not support SLi I'm calling bad business practice as the ATi crowd did with Batman AA, as every game should support all cards equally regardless of who paid for it's development, remember?

So did you do half the research involved, and wait for the investigation before making accusations?

Seems like you're jumping the gun MM, either in defence on nVidiocy or simply to be a rabble-rouser. :heink: 

I'm hoiping it's for the later. :evil: 

But either way a quick check would've told you Xfire didn't work out of the box either, it needed a Hotfix to make it work.... so doesn't look like it's the same now does it? :kaola: 
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 1:30:41 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
So did you do half the research involved, and wait for the investigation before making accusations?

Seems like you're jumping the gun MM, either in defence on nVidiocy or simply to be a rabble-rouser. :heink: 

I'm hoiping it's for the later. :evil: 

But either way a quick check would've told you Xfire didn't work out of the box either, it needed a Hotfix to make it work.... so doesn't look like it's the same now does it? :kaola: 

Oh, definitely the latter just as some did when the Batman demo came out. :D 
m
l
December 4, 2009 1:47:54 PM

Check this out!!!

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16668/1/1/0/

it seems 5870 doesn't have trouble beating 295 all the way - taking into account that it runs full dx11 with all eye candy and everything on MAX, while nVidia cards were runing some setting on Medium.

This means that despite dx11 eye candy its still faster than dx10. Wow. :D  So glad I bought that 5850

m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 1:51:43 PM

That's because Nvidia havent got the Sli drivers fixed yet though. The 285 puts in a pretty solid performance, though obviously without dx11.
m
l
December 4, 2009 2:08:57 PM

ah, my bad, I thought this is SLI 285 :D 

well in this case its totaly opposite - it seems dx11 features have BIG impact on performance - still game runs well on 5800 series
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 2:17:54 PM

rawsteel said:
Check this out!!!

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16668/1/1/0/

it seems 5870 doesn't have trouble beating 295 all the way - taking into account that it runs full dx11 with all eye candy and everything on MAX, while nVidia cards were runing some setting on Medium.

This means that despite dx11 eye candy its still faster than dx10. Wow. :D  So glad I bought that 5850

But there is no DX10 or more notably DX10.1 only DX9 and DX11.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 2:24:19 PM

The dx11 stuff is definitely hurting the performance, it would be interesting to see a benchmark of each individual element to see what is causing it the most.
m
l
December 4, 2009 2:36:47 PM

I bet its the HDAO :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 3:01:02 PM

Was not able to play the demo, no DX9/DX10 support, no SLI support (SLI Drivers work fine) ... What is the point? Make me buy a 5XXX series card? No thanks, all my other games work fine.....

Tried playing with the following spec's :

P55/750/4Gb DDR3/GTX 275 ....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 3:04:53 PM

THe bench mark is not a recorded scene. It is just a race with AI cars. It is different every time you run it.

Not sure how accurate the "max settings" are from card to card either. No point comparing it to different cards unless you are pre recording a time demo.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 3:06:00 PM

OvrClkr said:
Was not able to play the demo, no DX9/DX10 support, no SLI support (SLI Drivers work fine) ... What is the point? Make me buy a 5XXX series card? No thanks, all my other games work fine.....

Tried playing with the following spec's :

P55/750/4Gb DDR3/GTX 275 ....

It is a demo, and not a great one really.. Frankly ATI would have been better to give money to stalker. I have never been a fan of codemasters.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 3:10:03 PM

Codemasters are good, they made lotro and that was always considered the best looking mmo. They tend to keep things up to date tech wise (I know MM would much rather it was all a conspiracy theory :p ), like Dx10 on lotro and it's moving to dx11 soon as well.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 3:10:43 PM

Forgot to add Win 7 ultimate as well......
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 3:15:29 PM

Well I have played many demos before without having an issue with any DX version and to be honest this is embarrasing... Codemaster's is an OK dev. not the greatest. They do make good racing games but this so far is a flop, hopefully the game is better than the demo, compatible-wise....
m
l
December 4, 2009 3:16:13 PM

ummm^ Might the reason for no sli be because no Driver updates for Dirt 2? So no profile? Or atleast wait till the demo is over and the real game is out.

Either way you have 1 275 GTX from your comment Sli has nothing to do with it. It has DX 9 support and 10 I beleive I mean they benched a 285 GTX.

There is no reason why you can't play this game on any system.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 3:20:00 PM

The SLI comment was directed to jenny, of course there is no SLI support, this is obvios but I tried playing and got an error saying that the GPU is not DX11 compatible... So either I have to update drivers or something is up...
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 3:23:18 PM

L1qu1d said:
ummm^ Might the reason for no sli be because no Driver updates for Dirt 2? So no profile? Or atleast wait till the demo is over and the real game is out.

Either way you have 1 275 GTX from your comment Sli has nothing to do with it. It has DX 9 support and 10 I beleive I mean they benched a 285 GTX.

There is no reason why you can't play this game on any system.

Take a look in the installation folder, there is a DX9 and DX11 folder but no DX10 folder and running the game with Riva's OSD shows that the demo runs in DX9 mode on DX10 hardware. [:mousemonkey]
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 3:25:05 PM

1 question?????
Does AA work on nVidia cards?
m
l
December 4, 2009 3:27:52 PM

I would say update ur DX.

@mouse, I haven't checked the folder, i just assumed, but I wouldn't be too surprised, I mean its a DX 9 game from previous (engine wise) and all they did was take it and add DX 11. NOt bad.
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 3:29:24 PM

Guys here is a Cat 9.11 hotfix for Dirt2,some users report performance increase with it,you may want to try it:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU41-Hotfix...
I haven't finished downloading(What can you expect from a 36KB/S connection) but as soon as it finishes I'll post my results.
m
l
December 4, 2009 3:31:26 PM

already have it but thnx:)  @ 1280X1024, everything maxed out, and 8X AA it avgs at 60-70 and it drops to 58, which is very impressive, especially for a demo!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 3:33:38 PM

The PC was built 2 days ago, DX and drivers are up to date.... Will troubleshoot some more later when I get home....
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 3:46:46 PM

L1qu1d said:
I would say update ur DX.

@mouse, I haven't checked the folder, i just assumed, but I wouldn't be too surprised, I mean its a DX 9 game from previous (engine wise) and all they did was take it and add DX 11. NOt bad.

But why didn't they also add DX10 and DX10.1?, considering how ATi cards have been able to do do DX10.1 for so long and according to some it's only been Nv's TWIMTBP program preventing the uptake because their cards can't do it, so now that AMD/ATI have finally decided to put their hands in their pockets surely that would be one of the first thing's to be done if just to show us what we've been missing or was it so completely pointless that they are just too embarrassed to say as much and have decided to try and glosss it over with the 'oooh look at the shiny that DX11 can do'.
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 3:48:36 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
1 question?????
Does AA work on nVidia cards?

Is AA native to the game engine?, or does it have to be added by the devs?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 3:54:04 PM

I would think that its up to the devs for DX10,AA etc.
Unless theres code that says not to?
m
l
December 4, 2009 3:55:32 PM

we'll see what happens, we should see the original game out soon:) 
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 3:59:10 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
I would think that its up to the devs for DX10,AA etc.
Unless theres code that says not to?

Is this game also using the UT3 engine then?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 4:14:28 PM

Is this engine DX10? Thats the real question isnt it?

According to some, this isnt possible, nor worth the costs etc etc, to go from DX9 to DX11
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 4:20:35 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Is this engine DX10? Thats the real question isnt it?

If it can do DX11 then surely it's capable of DX10 because DX11 can use all of DX10 capabilities and devs are going to redo all their games to take advantage of the things that DX11 brings to the table.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 4:27:57 PM

It was suppsoed to be released months ago with only dx9 support. Is it that shocking that they only added dx11 instead of dx10 and 11?

Sure, we can dream that a dev will put in dx11 and use some features that work on 10.1... but this is not a blockbuster, it is a port.

It'd be fishy if they had the PC port ready, with dx 10, and then removed it to add dx11 but that is not how it went down.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 4:44:30 PM

jennyh said:
Codemasters are good, they made lotro and that was always considered the best looking mmo. They tend to keep things up to date tech wise (I know MM would much rather it was all a conspiracy theory :p ), like Dx10 on lotro and it's moving to dx11 soon as well.

Ah, I didn't realsie they were Limeys :p 

At any rate, they make some alright games, but I have never been impressed with their top tier PC games... and I played WOW during those MMO years.

Grid and Dirt are nice games, as far as games go. But like any console port, they wre lacking the polish I (at least used to) expect from a PC game. Bah, I've ben playing games for too long... I miss PC exclusives like Deus Ex...

Anywho.. This demo is not exactly breaking the mold as far as demos go. I am raelyl just concerned with people using the bench mark in the game for comparison as it is highly varriable.
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 5:00:01 PM

daedalus685 said:
It was suppsoed to be released months ago with only dx9 support. Is it that shocking that they only added dx11 instead of dx10 and 11?

Sure, we can dream that a dev will put in dx11 and use some features that work on 10.1... but this is not a blockbuster, it is a port.

It'd be fishy if they had the PC port ready, with dx 10, and then removed it to add dx11 but that is not how it went down.

But what happened to the likelihood of DX10 hardware running limited DX11 functions with improved performance?, after all DX11 is just a superset of DX10 is it not?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 5:01:49 PM

Is it certain that the real game won't have DX10? It may just be the demo they left out DX10 to save space and make DX11 look good. And if they did fully leave out DX10, maybe it was because it did not add much in their testing over DX9. Anyway, in my experiences with demos, the fact that it runs at all makes it a good demo and the game often changes quite a bit in the final release form.
m
l
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!