Review: Overclocked Intel HD 3000 Graphics Performance

Unfortunately my graphics card blew up today so I was stuck with a system that couldn't game! Or that's what I thought! Today, I decided to fool around with the Intel HD 3000 graphics, and see what performance I could get out of it. The HD 3000 is roughly equivalent to the Amd Radeon 5450, which is a $30 dollar graphics card. While owning a 5450, I investigated overclocked performance of the HD 3000. It was surprising that I was able to overclock the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor) from a stock 850mhz to a whopping 1700mhz! This is a 100% overclock, but what performance gains does this bring us?

System Specifications:
i7-2600k @4.5ghz 1.31vcore
Asrock z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3
16gb Patriot Sector 7 ram
Antec HCG 620W psu
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Intel HD 3000 Graphics 1.7ghz

Unfortunately I do not own that many games, so I will be reviewing games that only run on Direct X 9, which is the sweet spot of the HD 3000.

Gaming Performance:

All games are played at 1920x1080 (1080P)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

This game runs on Direct X9 and is fairly new, however what performance does the HD 3000 bring us in this game?

Settings used:
*note* if you can't see the settings, CLICK on the image!

These are high details, but you may think the HD 3000 can't handle these settings! This is surprisingly not true! I was also surprised that we were able to get these framerates:

Results gotten from a 120 Second Fraps Benchmark.

MW3 Multiplayer:
Min, Avg, Max,
23, 38.6, 61

MW3 Singleplayer:
Min, Avg, Max,
32, 42, 61

Not only was I able to play the game pretty smoothly, image quality was also pretty good!
The only noticeable thing was anti-aliasing, however FPS games move so quickly it is something that can be ignored.

Portal

Like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Portal runs also on Microsoft's Direct X 9. This allows the HD 3000 to run games easily!

Settings used:
*note* if you can't see the settings, CLICK on the image!

Performance:

Min, Avg, Max
29, 46, 65
24 answers Last reply
More about review overclocked intel 3000 graphics performance
  1. Reserved.
  2. LOL IGP is pretty powerful!
  3. nice oc, amuffin.
    good job with the game tests. :)
    can you give the gaming temps, power consumtions too? (if the monitoring programs reorded).
  4. Sure, I am going to change that reserved spot to a 1.9ghz oc and bios settings, temps etc.
  5. great work ;)
  6. amuffin said:
    Sure, I am going to change that reserved spot to a 1.9ghz oc and bios settings, temps etc.

whats taking you so long?
    good job btw, i love the "what people think is cr4p but runs good" stuff
  7. School has been having too many tests/projects :(
  8. do you have any QuickSync benchmarks for this?
  9. How do I get quicksync benchies? :o
  10. Wow...
    How how does it get?
  11. hot? Not very hot, igpu temps are determined based on CPU package temps. Even during an intense gaming session, igpu doesn't get very hot! Usually 40-50C!
  12. amuffin said:
    hot? Not very hot, igpu temps are determined based on CPU package temps. Even during an intense gaming session, igpu doesn't get very hot! Usually 40-50C!

Lol. Nice :D
  13. amuffin said:
    How do I get quicksync benchies? :o

by using mediaespresso/arcsoft and converting vids and noting the times taken for stock igpu and OC igpu.
  14. Good stuff. Good stuff. I wonder how HD 4000 fares at OC... 0.o

I might use this for future budget builds...

What are the methods you used to overclock this?
  15. Quote:
    Here, check out my latest game..... i am apparently a hacker..

Not really on topic... but i just had to share it, i got wound up lol.
    Hate these people who think good gamers hack.

Nearly all games i go into i get called a damn hacker lol.

awesome music :lol:
  16. samuelspark said:
    Good stuff. Good stuff. I wonder how HD 4000 fares at OC... 0.o

I might use this for future budget builds...

What are the methods you used to overclock this?

I found out overclocking the IGP is based on CPU VOLTAGE. So higher vcore=higher igp clock attainable.
  17. Lol. So this means I would need a P67/Z68/Z77 motherboard and a CPU cooler to cope with the higher CPU temperatures.
  18. Not exactly, temperatures are usually 50-55C. That is with a hyper 212 Evo. You would need a board with video out, so no P67.
  19. So, is there a guide for over-clocking the Intel HD 3000? I would really appreciate everything!
  20. Nope, well not yet :P
  21. amuffin said:
    Nope, well not yet :P

Could you make a guide? Or how did you do it?
  22. Imma keep an eye on this.. I'm forced to game on an hd3000 because I bought a 1,200$ laptop that turned out to be "for business"... It was a few months ago, and I didn't know at the time lol.

It's pretty hard to get any help or benchmarks because everytime I ask a question that has "gaming" and "hd3000" in it I get flamed or ignored....

Like, goddamnit I know it isn't for gaming GEEZ! lol

Edit: Oh crap I didn't relise this was an old post... Well hopefully you have that guide by now? :p
  23. Well, I haven't made a guide....and I really don't plan on either.

Regardless, you can't overclock the HD 3000 that is on your laptop.
  24. Oh, well, I did manage to "lock" it at its highest state for playing games (1300mhz) so I guess that's the best I can get :/
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel Performance HD Graphics Overclocking