Sign in with
Your question

Is LGA1366 a dead socket?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 7, 2010 2:35:12 AM

In 2011, Intel is releasing their next generation of CPU micro-architecture the 4-8 core "Sandy Bridge" processors. Will they be releasing an entirely new socket type to go along with this processor? Are the LGA1156 and LGA1366 both dead sockets?

If people want to upgrade their CPU's to the Sandy Bridge, will they have to buy a new motherboard, and RAM to go along with it?

I wonder if AMD's "bulldozer" chips will work on the current AM3 sockets.

More about : lga1366 dead socket

June 7, 2010 3:05:04 AM

Quote:
Yes, but if you have an 1366 i7-930, an upgrade to an 980X would be something significant, so its dead, but less dead than a 1156.

You dont need new ram for Sandy Bridge though, its still DDR3 dual for 1155, though DDR3 quad for LGA2011.

Finally, Bulldozer would be compatible with AM3, in one way or another.

980X is over $1,000. I don't have that kind of money to spend on a CPU right now.
m
l
a c 302 V Motherboard
June 7, 2010 6:00:57 AM

^That's the reason for my love to AMD not all the people have 1k to buy an Intel six core CPU and their components.

Now focus on the thread, in the tech world the things have a life time very limited (2 years max) because every month and every year comes out new technology with better features and better performance, so, yeah the 1366 socket will be dead but even that is still a very good socket.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2010 7:21:57 AM

ambam said:
In 2011, Intel is releasing their next generation of CPU micro-architecture the 4-8 core "Sandy Bridge" processors. Will they be releasing an entirely new socket type to go along with this processor? Are the LGA1156 and LGA1366 both dead sockets?

If people want to upgrade their CPU's to the Sandy Bridge, will they have to buy a new motherboard, and RAM to go along with it?

I wonder if AMD's "bulldozer" chips will work on the current AM3 sockets.

Its not fair to call it dead. It will be, but not yet. And yes Bulldozer will run on AM3.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2010 2:35:26 PM

Regardless of the Skt1366 life cycle, the fact remains that an i7 920 or 930 are still more than enough for anything an enthusiast or serious gamer do; and that's at stock speeds let alone oc'ing them to 4GHz and up. IMO, Skt 1366 and 1156 platforms will be viable desktop solutions for at least another 2 years.

Processors, memory bandwidth, and socket types are the last bottleneck in all systems; disk I/O is the big slowdown.
m
l
June 8, 2010 11:54:00 AM

Do you think that the Core i7 will be a huge bottleneck for the HD 6xxx series and Nvidia's next-gen of graphics cards much like trying to run a GTX 295 on a Pentium 4? Will we have to get the bulldozers and sandy bridges to properly run the next generation of graphics processing units?

Will the Sandy Bridge processors (Core i9?) have hyper-threading? If so, good news for people who want to do HD video encoding!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 1:29:06 PM

Given that it's not even close now, I *highly* doubt Core i7 will be a bottleneck for the coming generation of graphics cards.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2010 6:33:54 PM

If Intel get a new lga after 1366 they are officially "money pricks"

getting a new lga every 2-3 years is just capitalist pig that does that....

having to buy mothereboard + cpu (and ram maybe) when you wanna upgrade sucks

+1 AMD for AM3 then
m
l
!