CcXD

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Hello everybody.

I have an Asus s96s laptop, Intel Core 2 duo, nVidia 8600 video card, 2 gigs RAM. Recently the screen started having some problems. The pixels on the screen that are true "black" colored appear now as bright neon green, and white appears as a pinkish fuzzyness.
If i connect the laptop to an external monitor, the image on the other monitor looks fine. Which lets me to believe that there is something wrong with the hardware.
Sometimes the computer would be sitting there for hours, and it would fix itself for a few seconds, but then it goes back to the green pixels yet again with no interaction from me whatsoever. Its really confusing me.
I have googled the problem but different people have different opinions and different solutions, but no one really explains what really is happening, and what a more permanent solution would be.

At first i could fix it by wiggling the monitor back and forth and it would work, but now it doesnt work.
I have removed the plates underneath the case to add new ram and clean the heat sinks before, so I can take apart my computer if I need to. I even have a service manual for it.

If anybody knows the cause for it and how to fix it that would be great. Thanks

Zark Strife

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Sounds like it could also be a stuck pixel problem with your LCD. Google stuck pixel fixers. Usually a browser windows that constantly flashes crazy colors. Maximize the screen and turn up the brightness and let it run for a few hours.

CcXD

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Its not the temperature of the GPU because if this where the case, connecting to an external monitor would create the same image.

I seriously doubt its a stuck pixel, because its ONLY those pixels that are "true" black. As soon as the color in that pixel changes to a lighter black, or any other color for that matter, it works fine. That, and the fact that its not just a few 10s of pixels. If the entire screen is black, then the entire screen looks green.