Blu-Ray writer question

onezone

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Hello,
I have a computer which has an IDE socket only, and a PCI Express port. I want to connect an internal blu-ray writer in my machine and be able to burn blu-ray discs from my internal IDE hard drive. Is this possible? and what would I need to achieve this? ie: would I be ok with just a Sata Card plugged into my PCI Express slot, or would I also need a Sata Hard drive too?

Any help would be much appreciated.

You'll probably need a SATA port to connect a Blu-Ray drive as I'm not aware of any that have IDE connectors on them (but I haven't really looked for one, so who knows...?)

Assuming that's the case and that your motherboard doesn't have a SATA port, then all you need to do is to buy a cheap PCIe to SATA adapter card. Your existing IDE disk should continue to work just fine, and the BluRay drive should work once it's connected to the SATA port.

You may also need a power adapter for one of your power cables since the power connectors on SATA drives are different than those on IDE drives. The adapter simply changes the plug form factor, it doesn't have to change any of the voltages.