Raid 0 SSD setup for amateur

bms85

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I've purchased parts for a I7-2700k rig. I'm planning on running raid 0 across two Kingston HyperX 120gb drives. Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about raid or SSDs and I've heard raid 0 can be much more difficult with SSDs than with standard HDDs.

Does anyone have any advice/articles/tutorials I should take into account?

Not true. You go through the same steps in BIOS regardless of whether your drives are SSD or HDD.

The only difference is which ports you connect your drives to.

With HDDs you can connect 2 drives in RAID to SATA 6Gb/s ports or SATA 3Gb/s ports, and it will not matter, your performance will be the same either way.

With your Kingston HyperX drives you need to connect them to SATA 6Gb/s ports for maximum performance. They will work connected to SATA 3Gb/s ports, but at reduced speed.

Read your motherboard manual for instructions on setting up a RAID array.

What make and model motherboard do you have?

mwrather

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011

Hey, also new to this w/ a related question. When looking at the specs for a motherboard, how do I parse the SATA RAID entry? For instance, the entry for the motherboard linked to above is:

2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s and 4 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s support RAID (0, 1, 5, 10) by Z68

Does this mean that you can configure two 6.0Gb/s drives into an array and do the same with 4 drives with 3Gb/s connections?

In the machine I'm putting together I was looking at this mb:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131801

and I want to make sure that I will be able to configure two SSD drives in a RAID 0 array with 6Gb/s connections.

Thanks!

bms85

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I'm no expert but I found "2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), brown and 4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), black support RAID 0, 1, 5, 10" listed under raid on the details tab.

I'm pretty sure it supports two drives in raid 0 at 6mb/s.