Sign in with
Your question

9800gt 512 VS HD4650 1024 Integrated

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2009 4:28:08 PM

Hi,

Just bought a computer with an HD4650 1.0GB integrated graphics card. I am fairly sure I would be better off installing an older BFG 9800GT 512MB card that I have. My perception is a standalone card with a faster processor wins out over the extra memory of the integrated card.

Oh graphics card guru's, am I correct?

THANKS in advance!!!
December 1, 2009 4:36:18 PM

what do you mean by 4650 integrated, I doubt there is such thing
Probably its discrete card rather than integrated
m
l
December 1, 2009 4:46:12 PM

Okay sorry for the non-tech desciption. It came as an integrated part of the system as opposed to being a PCI-E card. I have no idea if it is being delivered via an onboard chip or as a plug in daughterboard of some format. It's a Gateway DX4820-07h.
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2009 5:27:52 PM

well thats what rawsteel means, its not integrated to the motherboard, so it must b either a pci-e or agp . And pretty sure its an pci-e since you bought it rather recent.

But yes the 9800 gt is quite a lot better, but then again be sure the psu is up for the extra amps
m
l
December 1, 2009 10:27:54 PM

Sorry guys it is NOT in an AGP or PCI-E slot it is an integrated video component provided by the motherboard manufacturer. The monitor connections are via the plugs on the motherboard hence my statement of "integrated" in my original post. Alas the system did not come with a motherboard userguide with a board layout diagram so I can't tell where on the motherboard the graphics chip/daughtercard is applied so i have no idea what type of bus/processing interface connection the motherboard manufacturer is using to the graphics components.

I think I'll slap in a 450W power supply and try some benchmark tests with the 9800GT. I have no idea how they were managing to run this system with a 300W power supply, must be VERY close to the limit....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2009 10:43:40 PM

woodsyresto said:
Sorry guys it is NOT in an AGP or PCI-E slot it is an integrated video component provided by the motherboard manufacturer. The monitor connections are via the plugs on the motherboard hence my statement of "integrated" in my original post. Alas the system did not come with a motherboard userguide with a board layout diagram so I can't tell where on the motherboard the graphics chip/daughtercard is applied so i have no idea what type of bus/processing interface connection the motherboard manufacturer is using to the graphics components.

I think I'll slap in a 450W power supply and try some benchmark tests with the 9800GT. I have no idea how they were managing to run this system with a 300W power supply, must be VERY close to the limit....

I'd recommend not coming into a technology forum, asking for simple advice, and then disagreeing with everything people are saying for no reason :??:  .

After looking over all the DX4820 products I could find (it appears your exact model is no longer available or is customized); your HD 4650 card with 1GB discrete video memory is not integrated and is using a 16x PCI-e slot on your motherboard. The 9800GT is more powerful than a 4650; open up your case, locate the card, unscrew/remove the mounts that are securing the backplate to the peripherals on your PC, and insert the new card and redo the mounts. A 300 watt power supply will be cutting it close, but it should work at least for a little while you decide whether or not you want to replace it.
m
l
!