rx7turbo287

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
i m new in overclocking. not sure which direction, or what i need to do or even need to over clocking.
heres the deal, i play this game call rift, is a mmo. i talked to many ppl they saying they r getting huge fps result. 35plus in populated area, where i getting below 20,

heres my computer setup

fx 8120 (stock clock)
cosiar vegenace blue (stock clock)1333? on boot up bios suppose to be 1600+
asus formula V crosshair (rog)
gigabyte 7970 3gb (stock clock)
1000w ps
2x 320gb hdd
1 bd drive
1 dvd drive

i getting around 63.2fps score 1592 at stock clock, 2.5 heaven bench 28.5min fps 136.5 max fps
now i did heaven 3.0 bench and my number was at 81fps can't remember score, 30plus min fps, and 160 fps max, now i could be wrong, cuz i didn't write it down but i know my 81fps is right, but i did overclock my card to 1032mhz from 925 stock. anyway.

heres the deal, when i m on rift, my processor show 21-30percent usage, my card the most is 41percent during a raid evinorment. memory usuage was at about 35percent.

my question is
memory? do i overclock it? when i bought it, it said 1600 but bios show its 1333, will it make a different to overclock?
processor, its stock cooler, not gonna get a cooler anytime soon yet, specially i dont know the cooler i want (themoaltake frio ock v10) will fit, but i do have a huge case, themoaltake chaser mk1
my 7970, keep stock clock or ock?

which i dont knw if ock will help my fps problem with rift, cuz system is barely even break over 40percent.

also i plan on running another monitor, currently i running 2 hp 2311x monitor, i want to run 3 and eyefinity rift, will that drop my fps worst? do i need to get another 7970?

now someone told me windows 8 is better for amd chipset? i really dont know what to do, i spent alot money to build this machine, and its dissapoint how this game turn out, i mean if i wanna fire up heaven and get a hard on looking at benchmark, yea is great, but my game just pissing me off.

ty ahead for any opinion and advice.

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Personally i beleive 1333 & 1600 really dont make difference in perfomance. Others may dissagree. With that setup you should'nt really be getting below 25 in any recent games. Perhaps you try overclock your GPU. I do know that the amd FX series have performance issues due to something to with a new technology built into them wich windows 8 will support and currently windows 7 does'nt. So yes you may get better frames in windows 8. Dont sell your PC just because of this. You can download windows 8 developer preview wich is free from microsoft website. Although you still should'nt be getting frame rates that low. You could maybe try overclock to 3.40GHz but make sure you have sufficient cooling. Also is this the only game that has drops in frame rates like this on your PC? If so you could try patch the game with latest patch avalible.

rx7turbo287

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
i haven't played other game, the benchmark from heaven is up to where it should be, and i ran it pretty hard, never any issue. i dont think is my system keeping me from getting better fps, i was just wonder may be something bottlenecking it?
it seen to be ppl getting better fps in the game is mid range card like 560/460, 6970. i guess mid range or older card. i couldn't really able to get better on it. if i adjust the setting down, its getting 1-3fps better.

i was just curious what can i do or if my cpu bottlenecking or something making me not get the fps i should be getting.

i try to run some other game and see what i can get on fps, now i did run into open world where not much other player around getting 48-60fps. but what i understand its pretty normal the fps changes

also my other question is that this card design to run 4 monitors, and i m planning gettting my 3rd monitor, so running 3 monitor on a 7970 3gb, will be any performanc drop?

now i know that mmo is not really good on fps what i heard, but i would think my system should able to blow this game away. idk, i just frustrated, spent 2500 bucks to build this system. very dissapointed.

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

My bad. I read your question wrong. Its because your CPU is an older model which only supports 1333MHz. You can overclock the ram but make sure to run some tests for stability