Different Ram together?

Nemesiss

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Hi, I was wondering this; I am currently running 2x2 OCZ Reaper @ 1066 on an AMD based mobo and all is well. However I am thinking of upgrading with another 1 or 2 sticks of 2GB ram because when I do my 3D work I tend to run out of the 4GB.

Now from what I gathered due to certain limitations my AMD CPU won't let me run 4 sticks at 1066 and it will be limited to 800 even if I get another identical 2 sticks so overpaying for OCed ram is pointless if its going to stay at 800. SO If what I just said is true then would I be able to get a different type of RAM, like g-skill for instance, that's clocked at 800 and will my rig run ok? Will there be any hindrances because of the different manufacturer? Or hould I get identical ram and try to push it to 1200/1300? (I would actually have to downgrade my bios to get my ram to run 1200+)

Might as well also ask would adding only 1x 2GB stick of ram do me good solely based on the fact that I just need more ram or should I just smash my piggy bank and go with the 2 sticks?

Running ASUS M4N72-E, about to upgrade CPU to AMD 1055t that I'm looking to o/c

EDIT: also I was looking at clock speeds and it won't be hard to find memory to match mine and I just assume that Reaper running 2.1-2.2v will get underclocked to the new ram with lower voltages?

Thanks~

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

If u bear in mind that the performance difference between 800 and 1066 is <1% u can go with the G.Skill 800 without problems.

When u installed the new 800MHz the old 1066 will underclocked to 800MHz too.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Wow, that OCZ RAM is pure crap... I would verify that it can run @ lower voltages @ reduced speeds. Generally, DDR2 800 RAM runs at 1.8V. I'm not well acquainted with the workings of a BIOS, but I presume it would run ALL your RAM at the highest default voltage as specified by the RAM DIMMs. If that is the case, you will be pumping 2.1-2.2V into RAM built for 1.8V. Long run, this could potentially fry those RAM chips.

Best case scenario, your OCZ RAM is overclocked DDR2 800 RAM with default voltages of 1.8V. If so, those timings look like regular DDR2 800 timings, so other DDR2 800 RAM @ 1.8V should be compatible.

Would highly suggest running a memory test after you purchase and install mixed RAM.

Btw, if you go with 1x2GB stick, you will throw out Dual Channel mode for Single Channel mode. If you do not care about memory performance at all, then that is your choice. Otherwise, stick with a pair of new RAM modules.

Nemesiss

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Its Ram for overcloking probably for most part because it can run real cool, idk. I guess getting a single stick isn't a very good idea. A lot of people wrote that they were able to get this ram to 1200, some higher, and I wouldn't mind doing that since my mobo supports overclocking to 1200 and 1300. I presume that AMD 1055t will be able to run 4 sticks at 1200? Pls correct me if I'm wrong. I would much rather do that then getting mixed low speed ram.

AMD 1055t is also listed to have DDR2 1066 memory controller, so I am a bit perplexed atm especially since there isn't any DDR2 memory in 2x4GB 1066 configuration

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
My apologies for being harsh about the RAM. 2.15V pumping through RAM reminded me of the DDR days with voltages around 2.5V. I just got some DDR3 RAM @ 1600Mhz that run @ 1.35V..... Mind you, that's .15V under DDR3 spec. 2.15V for DDR2 RAM is .35V over spec, for a marginal increase in performance, whereas my DDR3 RAM that costs just as much has a fairly good speed advantage when compared against the 1066Mhz DDR2 RAM. Top that off with you getting a new 1055T, seems like you will be limiting your CPU and trying to OC it. Just didn't make sense to me.

In any case, I do not see why you cannot run a 1055T with 4 sticks of RAM. That would be limited by your motherboard.

EDIT:
Gigabyte boards do not have a limit on the # of RAM sticks you may use to reach 1200Mhz+ speeds using DDR2:
i.e. here

With DDR3, you will need only 2 sticks of RAM for speeds >= 1866Mhz.
i.e. here