Sign in with
Your question

Component Compatibility and Cooling

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
November 28, 2009 5:50:48 AM

Hi, I'm trying to put a new system together and, since this is only my second time doing a build, I was going to ask if these components look okay (i.e. they work together and none of them have some crazy service issues). I'm about to buy:
Asus P6t lga 1366 -motherboard
Intel core i7-920 2.66ghz -processor
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 275 1792MB (OC'ed to 715 Mhz core) -video
Corsair XMS3 6gb (3x2gb) ddr3 1600 -memory
Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7200rpm SATA II (3.0Gb/s) -hdd
OCZ ModXStreamPro 700W ATX 12V V2.2 -power supply

I'm kind of at my limit of spending, but if you think i can squeeze a little more bang for my buck out, please let me know. Also, I was planning to just install a case fan and use artic silver, will I need to worry about additional cooling issues?
November 28, 2009 11:49:59 AM

Have you looked at a i5 750 build? It is a better bang for the buck and will lessen your budget for more upgrades.

With you original question:
1) I recommend the OCZ Platinums 6GB DDR3 1600... Better Timings
2) Look at the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB hard drive... It is a faster hard drive
3) What is your case you are going to use, which will help answer your cooling question. If you don't plan to overclock, the stock cooler with AS5 will be fine for cooling of your CPU.
m
l
Anonymous
November 28, 2009 3:19:37 PM

tecmo34 said:
Have you looked at a i5 750 build? It is a better bang for the buck and will lessen your budget for more upgrades.

With you original question:
1) I recommend the OCZ Platinums 6GB DDR3 1600... Better Timings
2) Look at the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB hard drive... It is a faster hard drive
3) What is your case you are going to use, which will help answer your cooling question. If you don't plan to overclock, the stock cooler with AS5 will be fine for cooling of your CPU.

Thanks for the response! I looked at the i5 build, but I was told that the LGA 1366 socket had more life in it for future upgrades? I'm definitely looking to upgrade over the long haul (i.e. add another video card and maybe upgrade the processor).
Thanks for the advice, I didn't even look at timings on my memory. I'll look around newegg (the ocz platinum's are all out of stock).
m
l
November 28, 2009 3:40:12 PM

Yes, the LGA 1366 socket has more of an upgrade path with their 6-Core CPU's out next year.

If you are building a PC to last 2 to 3 years before a CPU upgrade, the LGA 1156 socket is still a good option. In that amount of time, current LGA 1366 boards will be OBS, so you'll be upgrading to a new MOBO anyways, so why not save a little money now on CPU/MOBO to help get a better GPU (5850), PSU (Corsair 750TX), Case or etc...? LGA 1156 is still a good performing board for Crossfire/SLI at x8,x8.

If you plan to upgrade CPU next year, than the LGA 1366 is your best option.
m
l
!