New, Up to date build

G

Ok, I have had the time to make multiple configurations ranging from i5 to i7 before finally settling down on this final setup, which i shall present to you in the medium of dance! (or for the people who like to read a list) :-

CASE
----------
Coolermaster HAF 932 Black, High Air Flow Tower Case w/o PSU (New Version)

PROSSESSOR
-----------------------
Intel i7 920, D0 SLBEJ S1366, Bloomfield, 2.66 GHz, QPI 4.8GT/s, 8MB Cache, 20x Ratio, 130W, Retail

RAM
---------
6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 7, XMP, DHX, DF II

GRAPHICS CARD
---------------------------
2GB XFX HD 5970 Black, 4GHz (6GHz OC) GDDR5, GPU 725MHz (1GHz OC), 3200 Cores, 2x DL DVI-I/ Mini DP

MOTHERBOARD
-------------------------
Asus P6T, Intel X58, S1366, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), Triple DDR3 2000(OC), SATA 3Gb/s, SATA RAID, ATX

POWERSUPPLY
-------------------------
850W Corsair TX Series ATX, 4x PCI-E/ 8x SATA, PS/2 PSU, 5 Year Warranty

HDD
-------
x2, one 350GB for gaming and the other for Windows/Downloads Et al.
*I did research HDD's however im not planning on spending masses amount of money on a faster one

OPTICAL DRIVES
------------------------
LiteOn IHOS104-37 4xBlu-Ray, 8x DVD Reader OEM inc Software
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/LiteOn-IHOS104-37-4xBlu-Ray-8x-DVD-Reader-OEM-inc-Software
51Pound

SOUND CARD
---------------------
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 OEM PCI Sound card
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Creative-Sound-Blaster-Audigy-SE-71-OEM-PCI-Sound-card
24Pound

COOLING SYSTEM
---------------------------
CoolIT Domino ALC Water Cooling Kit

Akasa Silicone Thermal compound, 3.5G with Spreader card

OPERATING SYSTEM
-----------------------------------
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)

Any ideas on how this could be improved if need be?
My main concern is, will it be cool enough? would i need more fans, despite having a cooler system? And finally, is the PSU enough?

Thank you for your time! :)

jbakerlent

Distinguished
Welcome to the forum. It looks like a very nice (overkill) build to me. There's a form in my sig that you can fill out and we'll almost certainly be able to save you a great deal of money and still retain most of the performance.

G

Thank you for such a speedy reply! I understand my machine will be overkill, however thats what im aiming for. Ive not hastily gone 'I want the best', i made 3 seperate setups before i got to this one, and about 6 different pricing lists until i finally got it to 1,500-1,600Pounds.

The reason its so overkill is because, I can honestly afford it in due time as I have tiny outgoings (60pounds a week..) and Its my dream to build my own personal monster! That having said, i still found your link very useful as im still new to building them and still havnt physicly built one!(i wont be doing it alone, i know several who can do it with me)

G

I would also like to take the time to apologise, I did not see your link on 'how to ask for build advice'

So here's a little update! (apologies)
1680x1050 monitor display
Overclocking :- Both the CPU & GPU if and when possible

jbakerlent

Distinguished
I meant the How to Ask For Build Advice link, but thank you. :) Anyways, given what you've said above, I would make the following changes.

Upgrade to a Asus P6TD motherboard.

Switch to RAM for this set.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231279

Add a SSD such as the x25-m or the OCZ Vertex.

What resolution are you playing at because even at 2560x1600 a 5970 is overkill.

Drop the sound card.

Switch to 7 Professional, unless you need bitlocker.

Just a note, but the BD doesn't write anything.

Add a Spinpoint F3 for storage.

Edit: You saw the build advice link, so the only thing that changes is the GPU - get a 5870 MAX, and consider upgrading the monitor as well.

G

Here comes the confused half of me as im still learning about some things
What is the 'SSD', I will be playing at 1680x1050 right now however a monitor of bigger size will follow when i decide i want a new one. I have no idea what a bit locker does, and dwhat does 'BD' stand for. also 'spinpoint' also means nothing to me!

jbakerlent

Distinguished
Sorry for the abbreviations, I didn't mean to confuse you. "SSD" stands for solid state drive, a relatively new form of data storage that has many advantages over traditional hard drives, mainly speed (and a significant amount of it). Here's one for you to have a look at
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/60GB-OCZ-Technology-OCZSSD2-1VTX60G-MLC-25-SATA-3Gb-s-200MB-s-Read-and-160MB-s-Write-speed

You don't really need to worry about bitlocker, you almost certainly don't need it - it's a form of encryption.

"BD" stands for Blu-Ray drive.

Here's a Samsung Spinpoint F3 hard drive
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1TB-Samsung-HD103SJ-Spinpoint-F3-SATA-3Gb-s-7200rpm-32MB-Cache-89-ms-NCQ-OEM

A 5870 is still plenty for any single monitor.

G

I dont doubt your knowledge on the subject, im 100% sure you know best. however for the 5970 for better or worse im going to stick to, i saw a couple benchmark videos... well about 6, im obsessed, crysis with a singular 5870 was averaging 34fps, when the 5970 averaged 64fps; this was a system very closely built to mine, i7 intel etc.

I shall look into what you've just posted and give you an update! I only thought i'd get ultimate because it says ultimate (yes im that easily persuaded somtimes ;)]

G

This includes EVERYTHING (unless i've forgotton something) except the CoolIT Domino ALC Water Cooling Kit which I was recommended & the Akasa Silicone Thermal compound, 3.5G with Spreader card

Plextor 940SA if you want fastest BR writer ($220ish US)
Plesxtor 320SA if you just wanna read BR and write DVD ($140ish US)

I'd bounce up to the V2 version of the P6T

CAS6 memory has dried up on this side of the pond so if any left on your side, grab it. Since the dry up however, Ive noticed Corsair CAS 7 memory prices skyrocketing ($20-$80 over competitors) so I'd suggest doing some shopping

G

Sorry, I did actually bump it up to the 6PTD mobo, I forgot to update the page on the checkout

G

One thing I would like to ask is the HD Radeon 5970 needs a 6pin and a 8pin psu connector. I was recommended to change my PSU supply to a more reliable one such as thermaltake but I find it hard recognising if they have a 6&8pin connector system. Would any of you have any recommendations?

G

haha, sorry -- my wording is abit off today! you answered my question perfectly though so thank you :)