Sign in with
Your question
Solved

P55A-UD3R - Random beeping associated with C3/C6/C7

Last response: in Motherboards
June 7, 2010 8:57:06 AM

I've been searching for a solution to random short beeps (2 to 3 times per hour) from my motherboard P55A-UD3R. The beep is a fraction of a second, shorter than a POST beep and can occur when in the BIOS or in Windows.

A previous thread on this forum (for a UD3 board) pointed me towards disabling C3/C6/C7 states in my BIOS which does indeed stop the random short beeps (re-enabling it brings them back). However, I want to enable C3/C6/C7 because it keeps the CPU cooler (enabled, the cores idle at 25-33degC, disabled the cores idle at 35-40degC) but the beeping is very annoying.

F9 is the latest BIOS update for my board and I was wondering if anyone still has this issue or has figured out a solution other than disabling C3/C6/C7 ? Is the beeping even supposed to happen for reasons I can't think of ? I'm just worried that if this beeping problem is rare then there won't be much motivation for Gigabyte to fix it (if it is indeed a Gigabyte issue). Thanks.

P55A-UD3R motherboard
Core i5 750
Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
Saphire ATI 5750 1Gb
Alpine 7 Pro CPU cooler
CoolerMaster 650W supply
Win7 Home Premium x64
a c 112 V Motherboard
June 7, 2010 12:27:55 PM

I can relate a similiar experience i had with my mobo a P55-UD5.
When i updated my bios to F9 i had issues.
Reverted back to F8 and they all went away.
I think i'll skip F9.
June 7, 2010 1:05:47 PM

Thanks Davcon, I'll try and find F8 tonight and give that a try.
Related resources
June 14, 2010 5:38:48 PM

I flashed the from F9 to F8 BIOS for my P55A-UD3R Rev1.0 but the occasional random beeping is still there, same as before. CPU ang GPU still running cool, still no overclocking, I've even disabled the Turbo modes for the memory and CPU which are usually enabled by "load optimized defaults", everything is standard ?
Your UD5 board must behave differently to my UD3R Davcon but thanks for the suggestion.
I've lodged a Gigabyte Support query but heard nothing back yet, so if you have any other suggestions ...

Best solution

August 2, 2010 1:21:03 PM

Hi xrys - I too have been having short random beeps on my Gigabyte X58A-UD3R with Intel i7 930. It was driving me mad.

I traced it to the the CPU temperature warning setting in the BIOS. I had it set at 60 degrees and, although it's difficult to believe, the core temperature can go up and down by a few degrees for fractions of a second - I verified this with the Gigabyte ET6 utility that was supplied with the motherboard, and lo and behold, the 'random beeping' only occurred when the core temperature momentarily hit 60 degrees.

I changed the setting in the BIOS to 70 degrees and I haven't had any beeping since. Silence is golden.

Hope this helps
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 2, 2010 2:58:18 PM

One of the first things I usually recomend to people with the problem is to temporarily disable all alarming, just as a check. Had someone actually post a YouTube video of the machine noise - listened for two seconds, went back - told him "that's an alarm!" - the sound is quite distinctive! The problem these folks are having seems to be a peciliarity in the VRD circuitry - only possibility I can think of is 'ringing' inductors - not much else on a board that can make noise...
August 9, 2010 6:26:55 AM

b20feb said:
Hi xrys - I too have been having short random beeps on my Gigabyte X58A-UD3R with Intel i7 930. It was driving me mad.

I traced it to the the CPU temperature warning setting in the BIOS. I had it set at 60 degrees and, although it's difficult to believe, the core temperature can go up and down by a few degrees for fractions of a second - I verified this with the Gigabyte ET6 utility that was supplied with the motherboard, and lo and behold, the 'random beeping' only occurred when the core temperature momentarily hit 60 degrees.

I changed the setting in the BIOS to 70 degrees and I haven't had any beeping since. Silence is golden.

Hope this helps

My alarm temperature was set to 70degC but when I disabled the high temperature alarm the beeping stopped. Great news for my sanity, not such great news for Gigabyte I suppose, disabling this alarm isn't ideal. I have an i5 with an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 so cores idle around 30degC. The hottest I've managed to get it is about 65degC. If temp spikes are setting off the alarm briefly then surely they could damp it a little ???

Anyway thankyou very much for sorting me out, its very much appreciated.
August 9, 2010 6:27:18 AM

Best answer selected by xrys.
August 9, 2010 6:33:57 AM

Maybe the temp spikes when the mboard changes between C3/C6/C7 states ??? Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread.
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 9, 2010 3:18:33 PM

Quote:
Maybe the temp spikes when the mboard changes between C3/C6/C7 states ???

I find that kind of doubtful - the Intel VRD (voltage regulator-down) 11.1 design guidlines are extremely stringent, specifying everything in minute detail, right down to requirements for the data that the manufacturer of an 'approved' PWM controller must publish and guarantee. Things like step-to-step timing, overshoot, damping, resonance - all specified in detail, and tightly controlled. I'm wondering if it's a flaw in the detector, or detection circuitry. I'm not sure which GB's BIOS uses for this function, the CPU's own temp sensors, or the one the GB puts on the board and calls CPU temp; my guess would be the latter. This sensor is especially an issue for people running water cooling, as, even though the water block is keeping the chip cool, the vrd section under the socket (where the board's sensor is) usually runs hotter, as the board no longer gets air movement from the usual fansink on the socket...
!