AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hey guys,

SSD's ability to process applications with speed is unquestionable, but I heard the data on an SSD was prone to go corrupt a couple of years ago.

How safe is SSD for storaging compared to HDD these days? I mean docs, pics, music, movies. Stuff like that.

I am going to buy new storage one of these days and SSD would be sweet for having my OS + most common apps on, just need to know if it has become more stable so I could fill other stuff on it by buying a larger one.

Hope you can help me out.

It is at least as safe as HDD.

I have one for almost 2 years and its great, no errors and performance is the same.

And I have installed about 10 others, and no problems.

But of course, if u get one and it will be a bad one,
than u probably gonna trash all the SSD's : )

hiimnickwhoareu

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
SSD= Buy a good brand with 40-60GB of memory, only use it to boot windows really. Right now, I believe they're too pricey for anything besides getting a faster boot up.

HDD in 2-3 years these bad boys will probably die out, SSD is just better, the only reason people like me continue to grasp at out HD's is due to the price.

The basic flash memory technology used by SSDs is quite reliable. But the firmware that controls the SSDs and performs wear leveling in order to extend the life of the flash memory chips is very complex and it seems that a lot of drives run into firmware issues. In the end analysis it if you can't access your data it doesn't really matter whether it's due to a hardware or firmware fault.

The way to mitigate the firmware risk is to buy a drive that's been on the market for at least a few months (preferably several months) and for which no firmware problems have been reported. Or, if firmware problems have been reported, wait until a fix has been published and in use for a few months (again, preferably several months) to make sure it really does solve the problem and doesn't introduce any new issues.

There are two reasons hard drives will be with us in desktop and laptop systems for the foreseeable future:

1) HDD capacities and prices are improving just like SSD prices are - so HDDs will continue to be much cheaper on a $/GB basis. This means that they're still going to be preferable for bulk storage of files where performance isn't critical. And for most people the majority of their storage needs aren't performance critical. You don't need much performance to play movies or show pictures, for example.

2) As cell sizes on SSDs scale down they run into more and more issues with longevity and write performance. This means that the improvements in capacity and cost effectiveness of SSDs will hit a wall sometime in the next several years unless some fundamental new technology breakthrough occurs.

Tablet and pocket devices are, of course, a different story because the physical size and power consumption of hard drives makes them a poor match for such ultra-portable devices.

Today there are so many places to store your precious photos and data up in the cloud, usually for free, usually stored on big infrastructure based hardware, with mirrored and backed up systems.
...until your cloud service provider suddenly goes out of business one day without any warning. NO data is safe ANYWHERE, that's why you should always have MULTIPLE copies of it, stored in places different enough so no single problem can affect all your copies.

mrtabaa

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2014

Hi,

I've been studying for hours about the most known SSDs below and this is my understanding so far:
Samsung 840 EVO
Samsung 840 Pro
Intel 530
Intel S3500
Intel S3700 (Very expensive!)
Toshiba Q series.

FASTER OR MORE RELIABLE?
In consumer reviews on different websites including Amazon, Best Buy and Newegg, when I studied among the lowest rates of Samsung and Toshiba products, I could see a lot of customers that are complaining about their SSDs have been failed after a few weeks or months.
However, I didn't see any failing claim about Intel SSDs yet and the low scores are mostly because of its lower speed comparing to Samsung products. Some customers also have problems with compatibility of Intel products with older laptops and also its higher price. So we don't see any failing or losing data with Intel products so far.

STORING YOUR DATA SAFELY:
As we know failing an HDD and SSD is possible anyway. So I think you need to install a Google Drive and Dropbox apps on your computer and store your important data in those folders no matter what kind of storage you have on your computer. This way you won't lose any data even if your storage or your computer fail. Also you can have access to your data anywhere anytime. Note that you cannot store your exe files in Google drive, so store them on Dropbox. Since Google and Dropbox are spending billions of dollars to save and protect our data using the best methods and hardware we don't have to take this responsibility today!

WHICH SSD YOU NEED TO CHOOSE?
1- Go with an SSD that you know it's been in the market for at least couple of months with a good reputation. This way there is more chance for manufacturer to fix the product issues such as firmware updates.
2- If you need a faster and cheaper product, go with Samsung or Toshiba Q. Hopefully their issues are fix now.
3- If you need a more reliable product but a little bit slower go with the mentioned Intel.

Hopefully this helps.

Reza Taba
Happy Persian New Year on 2014 March 21
Happy Year 7036! (or government calendar 1393)
Good Buy cold and winter
Welcome Spring and new life