New graphics card and psu for my amd athlon 64 x2 4450e

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • AMD
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2009 8:39:48 PM

Ok i have a amd athlon 64 x2 4450e dual core 2.3Ghz processor. It is compaq model sr5710f. I want to upgrade the video card and the psu so i can play more games better with out all the skipping and bs. I have 3gb of ram and vista home premium. The guy at AMD supprot told me ati 4890 1gb would be good enough and i would need a 700-800w psu. I want a second opinion. All opinions accepted. I want to be able to play dragon age origins i dont care if the graphics are set all the way to low. i just want to play it. Prototype also. Please help. I dunno what to get, there are so many different types of cards im confusted.

More about : graphics card psu amd athlon 4450e

a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2009 8:55:43 PM

You were given horrible advice, imo.

a) Videocards perform only as well as the CPU it is connected to. You CPU, while not archaic, will limit the selection of cards that would be worth the price. A 4890 would not give you the performance that you would be paying for, it is too powerful for your computer. For your current parts, I would recommend at the highest an ATI4850, or Nvidia 250GTS.

b)700-800w PSUs are for computers with multiple videocards, Overclocked CPUs, and 10 harddrives needing power. It was very irresponible for that support staff to recommend such a powerful PSU for your build. Even if you did install a 4890 (a very powerful card) you could very easily get by with a quality 500-550w PSU.
Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, OCZ, PC Cooling&Power, are just a few of the brands that offer quality parts. Buying a cheap PSU puts your whole system at risk, as when cheap power supplies die, they like to take other parts of the computer with them.

c) You came to right place, lots of people here are great about sharing and educating when someone comes asking for help, provided they are willing to learn.
A few things you can tell us to help us make more direct suggestions:
-The resolution of your monitor, this effects how powerful of a card you can utilize.
-Your Budget
m
l
December 1, 2009 9:31:37 PM

Well when i go to display settings the highest settings i can get is 1280x1024. I dunno if thats the resolution you were asking for but that is the highest on it. I really dont wanna spend more than $160 or 170 on a card and no more than 120 on a psu. But if you think it would make me run games alot better im willing to go up to $200. I know its not a powerful processor but it should be able to run games like dragon age origin with a new psu and video card on ultra low settings right? If im wrong plz let me know.
m
l
Related resources
a c 1429 U Graphics card
a c 372 À AMD
December 1, 2009 9:39:32 PM

xbardockx said:
Well when i go to display settings the highest settings i can get is 1280x1024. I dunno if thats the resolution you were asking for but that is the highest on it. I really dont wanna spend more than $160 or 170 on a card and no more than 120 on a psu. But if you think it would make me run games alot better im willing to go up to $200. I know its not a powerful processor but it should be able to run games like dragon age origin with a new psu and video card on ultra low settings right? If im wrong plz let me know.

If you have a 19" lcd monitor with 4 x3 aspect ratio that would explain the max setting of 1280x1024. On that resolution this would be a good upgrade for the price (if your computer is not slimline) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and would probably run just fine on your current PSU.
m
l
December 1, 2009 10:33:24 PM

Do you think i could run dragon age origin or prototype at a good fps. i dont care if its at lowest graphics settings or not. When i play demigod now it lags like crazy. with that ati 4670 would i be able to run those 3 games at a good fps even if its on low graphics settings?

What about a good psu with enugh wattage to run the computer with the new video card?
m
l
December 1, 2009 10:58:51 PM

Ok cool. The first link you put up didnt work. what about a psu to run it all without having to worry about overheating or shorting out anything.
m
l
a c 1429 U Graphics card
a c 372 À AMD
December 1, 2009 11:19:05 PM

Actually if you go for a new power supply that can support a stronger card and money is no issue. The maximum recommended cards, based on the rest of your system, would be GTS250 from the green team and hd4850 hd5750 from the red team.
Here is a good read http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,... Pay attention to the chart on the last page.
m
l
December 2, 2009 3:04:40 AM

How do i know what the dementions of my psu are? Can i look it up or do i have to physically measure it?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 3:52:40 AM

PSU dimensions for Desktop use are standardized. I think there are different kinds for servers and other non desktop use, but am not familiar with what they may be.
m
l
December 2, 2009 4:42:46 AM

I can play dragon age on high settings with my 4670, on a 5000+ x2 amd, you should be good to go with that card
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 5:23:23 AM

I agree with the lower cost suggestions. Dont spend more than $150 total. Put the rest of the money in the bank toward a new computer in a year or two.

A 4670 would be a good option, if you are looking to go a little higher, prices are falling on 9600GTs and 9800GTs ($75-99) right now, since they are being replaced by Nvidias new lineup. Unless you are a wealthy enthusiast, this price range is the best bang for the buck with your build.

Low to Medium level cards like these would be easily powered by a high quality, but low wattage power supply. It is common for companies to tell you really high wattage numbers so you dont blow up your system with a cheap model and blame them.
This 400w corsair ($39-59) has a single power rail and is 80 plus certified. This is more than enough to power your system and will be simpler to install than a dual rail psu.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
If you dont believe me go to the corsair website and use the PSU calculator. (unless you have like 6 drives and overclock)

BTW you have a standard size PSU-- I checked it out at
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 5:29:43 AM

I added some of my own, but I still agree with JofaMang's advice. The 4850 would be the most powerful choice.

With regard to the PSU--get a good one if you plan to use it in a future computer, but if your next computer will be another prebuilt... just get the minimum wattage you need for the card you purchase+your current components. As long as you stick to a reputable brand like Antec, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, etc. you will be fine.
m
l
December 2, 2009 6:25:57 AM

Deadlocked you are the shizzznit. So the 4850 would be the most powerful one. Would the 400w Corsair would power my system and the graphics card? And that corsair is the same size as the one I have. Coolio. Thanks alot man.
m
l
December 2, 2009 6:32:29 AM

Hey i went to the corsair website and put in my cpu and harddrive and the 4850 and you were right. If i could i would +rep
m
l
December 2, 2009 7:09:25 AM

If it says anything to you: I own a intel E8200 with 4 gigs of ram and a HD3870. And I can play Dragon Age with everything maxed out except for AA at 1080p with 30+fps. I am surprised myself that it worked as well as it did but apparently my HD3870 was enough.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 12:04:46 AM

Thanks, although I feel sorta bad since JofaMang did much of the work.

The 4850 at $95 still blows the pants off anything in that price range. Its probably more power than you need to play those games, but if you arent poor--why not?

To rank: the 4850 is similar to a Nvidia GTS 250 or 9800 GTX in performance,
Below that would be the Nvidia 9800 GT($89) or ATI 4770($114) (the 4770 is more because its a newer model and power efficient) (the new Nvidia GT 240 falls right below these)

The level below that is the Nvidia 9600 GT at $75 and the ATI 4670, which would probably still be enough for those games at $60 if you decide to be cheap.

Like rolli said, check http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,... for any clarifications.

While im 90% sure of the size, you should measure yours anyway just to be safe. I only have the picture to go on.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 12:13:12 AM

The HD4850 goes for $120ish lately, not $95

But anyway just get an HD4670. You will be able to play any game with that card on at least medium settings at your resolution. It goes for as low as $50 and you will not need to get a new power supply.
Don't put any more money than into that old system. Save up for a real upgrade instead.
m
l
!