Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard and Memory Problem

Last response: in Motherboards
June 7, 2010 11:58:22 AM

Hi, i've got a Gigabyte GA-EP45C-DSC motherboard which i bought about a year and a half ago. At the time i put 2 DDR 2 memory sticks in it. Yesterday i bought some DDR 3 memory sticks because on the motherboard and the box it came in it says that it can take DDR 3 as well. I have taken the DDR2 sticks out and put in DDR3 in their slots. When i turn on the computer it goes to the motherboard splash screen then restarts itselfs all the time. I could'nt find any Gigabyte UK number to speak to anybody. Does it only take older DDR3 or a special kind or only certain manufactures only. Does it only work with bios updates? Any advise and help would be great. The new memory stick i tried to put in is = Team Group DDR3 , 1066 mhz, CL 7-7-7-21. It only works again when i put the DDR2 back in. Thanks in advance.
a c 216 V Motherboard
a c 78 } Memory
June 7, 2010 1:33:38 PM

Did you clear the CMOS after installing the DDR3 memory?
June 7, 2010 2:08:30 PM

Yeah, could n't find any jumpers to reset so i pulled out the battery for about 10 ten minutes but no joy.
Related resources
a c 216 V Motherboard
a c 78 } Memory
June 7, 2010 3:04:15 PM

Did you power off or disconnect the PSU when you pulled the battery?
June 7, 2010 3:25:03 PM

I pulled out the power lead from the PSU, then took the battery out for about 10 - 15 minutes, put the battery back in then reconnected the power lead again. PS thanks for replying and any more suggestions you have are most welcome because Gigabyte don't seem to have a UK number to phone and hav'nt heard any response from my e-mail i sent to them.
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
June 7, 2010 3:31:52 PM

Have you tried booting with a single stick of RAM installed? If that works then you should manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to their rated values and try booting with both sticks again. Many motherboards don't supply enough voltage using auto settings for both sticks to run. It should be fine once you manually set the values.
a c 216 V Motherboard
a c 78 } Memory
June 7, 2010 3:36:04 PM

Make sure that all memory settings are set to Auto before you replace the modules. If that doesn't help, then you could visit http://forums.tweaktown.com. I presume that you already know that the motherboard won't necessarily be faster with DDR3.
June 7, 2010 5:04:09 PM

i have tried a single stick in the slots in both combinations (there is only 2 DDR3 slots) and that way don't even make it to the bios screen at all. I assumed (probably wrongly) that that replacing my DDR2 with a faster DDR3 ( to match the motherboard and CPU FSB) would help the PC run a bit better. I will try the forum link and see if i can get any joy out of Gigabyte that way. Silly Question but is it possible that because the motherboard is a couple of years old and maybe the memory stick is newer that they are not compatible or something along those lines?
a c 216 V Motherboard
a c 78 } Memory
June 7, 2010 5:07:04 PM

Most motherboards that support both DDR2 and DDR3 are picky with DDR3 memory.
!