cookinginprison

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hello anyone who can help!

I was fitting a second HDD to my emachines 5250 and after connecting the power and data cable to the HDD & motherboard I plugged in the PC.

This is where things went wrong, as soon as the power was switched on at the wall (not at the PC) there was an electric flash from the PC (near to where the SATA data cable is plugged into the motherboard) and a smell of burning. The machine had no power.

I have tried switching the PC on but it is getting no power to it, I have also changed the fuse in the plug but that made no difference.

I took off the rest of the PC case and the PSU smells a little burnt but I don't know if that is the real problem or if I fried the motherboard.

If anyone has any pointers then it would be appreciated, I don't really want to fork out for a new PSU that is not needed.

Thank you in advance.

cookinginprison

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Thanks, I took the PSU out but wasn't sure about taking it apart, I don't really know what I would be looking for - burnt components I suppose.

I might give it a try later. I am a novice really, would appreciate any advice on how to choose a new PSU if needed, any brands to avoid, what spec i.e. should it be the same as the one removed.

Thanks again.

cookinginprison

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Can anyone recommend a decent replacement, not too expensive.
Current spec is ATX 12v 300w from bestec - have read some damning reviews of their kit on another site so I think an alternative manufacturer is in order.