Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Booting up with old HD and new board

Last response: in Motherboards
June 7, 2010 11:59:49 AM

I may swap out my old board for a new one and begin building a new pc. I'm paranoid because I lost my HD once due to a power surge and now always worry I'll somehow lose data. So here's my question:

If I swap out my old board for a new one, will the original boot HD be able to boot up with a new board? It should right? Shouldn't be anything that tells the drive not to boot because it's a different MB right? Just want to be sure before I take anything apart...

More about : booting board

a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2010 3:37:54 PM

It all depends! Back up your data, it never hurts. Besides putting the HD on another MB should not cause any damage.
It depends on what OS is on the HD and how old you current MB is.
If the OS can't figure out how to enable your new hardware the system will hang or blue screen.
I found it eaiser to buy a new Drive and make it the master, install you old as the slave and reload your OS. good luck.
m
l

Best solution

a c 86 V Motherboard
June 7, 2010 3:38:50 PM

Your old OS install has registry entries and drivers for your old motherboard hardware. The OS is also tied to the motherboard, so you will likely have to call Microsoft and see if they'll re-activate the OS on the new board. They may or may not. Swapping motherboards rarely goes smoothly. You should perform a clean install of the OS if you want a stable system.
Related resources
June 7, 2010 5:25:45 PM

mhelm1 said:
It all depends! Back up your data, it never hurts. Besides putting the HD on another MB should not cause any damage.
It depends on what OS is on the HD and how old you current MB is.
If the OS can't figure out how to enable your new hardware the system will hang or blue screen.
I found it eaiser to buy a new Drive and make it the master, install you old as the slave and reload your OS. good luck.

I thought I had tried this in the past but got security issues when trying to access the old drive. I kept getting "access denied" since I was trying to access it as a 2nd drive when booting up with another OS.
m
l
June 8, 2010 12:27:31 PM

Best answer selected by fishacura.
m
l
!