Please Help Me Solve My PC Freezing Up/Lock-up With Audio Whine Issues

chizzops

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I've had this current build since late '09, and it's worked great without a hitch. The rig runs cool with the positive pressure from the three intake fans, and the CPU has an aftermarket cooler on it and never runs hot. However, since earlier this year, a couple of things have happened, and in the past couple of months, I've been experiencing some strange lock-ups. Let me lay it out in a timeline:

* January: Booting up one day, after three years of running my triple core AMD720BE unlocked as a 4-core, my bios tells me that ACC has failed. I reverted to triple core and applied a light overclock (-->3200MHz).
*Thinking perhaps the CPU was going, I ordered a Thuban 6-core 1055T, got a new power supply, upping my PSU from 430 to 600. I OC'd the 1055T to 250FSB-->3500MHz. It was very stable, and did not require extra juice to any of the components.
*After a month or so of no problems, I got a few lock-ups, where the screen would go distorted lines of color, and a high-pitched whine would come from the speakers. This would require a hard reset or power-off. I reset everything to stock settings, but continued to have these occasional lock-ups.
*After a couple more weeks, it got worse: When restarting from cold boot after lock-ups, the power light on the case would not illuminate, and the fans would "rev" in a constant cycle and not boot; not video on the screen. I cleared CMOS, changed power supplies, and still this issue persisted.
*Convinced the PSUs were alright, I pulled the Radeon 5770 out of the rig and hooked up the internal graphics (4200). It worked fine without a hitch.
*Convinced that my 5770 was bad, I ordered a 6870. I installed it last week, and everything booted up. I enjoyed around ten hours of gaming, while monitoring the temps. This new card runs much cooler than my 5770 (high sixties rather than eighties); all my other temps are good. Voltages are within spec.
*Last night I was playing the alpha of Endless Space, which is not a demanding game by any means, and suddenly I experienced this same lock-up again with the distorted screen and audio whine. It rebooted fine on hard reset and it hasn't yet happened again, but this indicated to me that I did not solve the problem by replacing the video card. This leaves the MB, the memory, and the CPU.
*At one point after the lock-ups when the 5770 was still in it, I entered the BIOS to try to reset the overclock and the bios characters began running corrupted with streaks of random characters down the screen. This happened only the one time, but it was quite strange. Would this have been a video card or MB symptom?

Where can I go from here to narrow this down? Is it possible I damaged the MB during the overclock? I've checked all the caps on the MB, and there is no sign of bursting. The CPU runs cool and hasn't been overvolted or anything; the 250FSB overclock was light from what I've read these things can do. I'm thinking MB at this point.

Thanks in advance for your help. -Chizz

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Since you haven't stated which motherboard model or manufacturer your board is made by, a bit of this will be generic... but the whine is noise in your power circuits...the noise is being introduced by either a component on the board itself going bad, or a peripheal...your components...vid card, mouse, keyboard, harddrives, optical drives, the cables, anything connected by usb or speakers.....you have something going bad but with onboard video corruption and a NEW card for external graphics and still receiving dirty power...the whine is still present in all configurations...the motherboard or ram slots or ram circuits or graphic subsystems are very suspect.

The Northbridge and southbridge controllers handle all the data... to and from the components...to and from the cpu. The controller/s could be failing as well

I picked this up from here

http://www.overclock.net/t/951880/biostar-a880g-aac-failed

I believe ACC also corrects per-core voltage? Not too sure, but it's not just for unlocking cores (and sometimes, L3 cache).

If your acc function (Advanced Clock Calibration) has failed...

ALSO read here

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/31831-what-exactly-does-advanced-clock-calibration-do.html

Since you have recieved the statement that the function has failed and you replaced the cpu and gpu...and are still having the issue...your motherboard has apparently decided to take a powder...meaning something integrated into the motherboard has begun to fail and it's probably only a matter of time...especially with the "NOISE" being introduced into the power circuitry...that the motherboard gives up the ghost.

You have already replaced two components...the cpu and the gpu...with the whine remaining...the whine indicates a power component failure introducing the noise into the power circuitry and you are at risk for all the components being smacked with whatever is getting ready to fail...there are items in the circuits on the motherboard...chokes...diodes...transitor circuits...all designed to prevent dirty power from being introduced from their respective circuits and this whine you hear indicates an impending failure of something.

You can try the steps below to eliminate all your peripheal components first but it sure sounds like the motherboard has something failing on it and that means a new board!

Are you using onboard sound? If so...leave the speakers connected...if not...move the sound card to another open pci slot...if you don't have one....remove the sound card and enable onboard sound in the bios and see if the whine is still present. This will help determine if it's the sound card OR onboard sound creating the dirty power issue.

The easiest thing here to do is disconnect ALL components, mouse, hdds, optical drives, and anything ele connected...and I would disconnect the graphics and boot just to listen to the system for that whine, remove ALL but one stick of ram...then boot the machine and see if the whine is still there, if it is...move the stick to another slot and reboot to see if the whine is gone...if it isn't...remove the stick of ram and use another stick instead...if the whine is still there...you just eliminated the ram and ram slots as your problem...leaving the cpu and motherboard...with the machine booting and it being a new cpu...do the math...some trace or component on the motherboard is in the process of failing.

If with all the components disconnected you have no whine...begin reconnecting ONE component at a time and rebooting between to see when the whine returns...ie...the last item connected would be the failing peripheal. If you do have the whine with all component peripheals disconnected EXCEPT for your speakers...you have a failing component on the motherboard itself..replace it quickly to avoid ruining any other components when the problem component goes completely.

So good luck and post back to let us know what you found please!

Respectfully,
tekman42

chizzops

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Thank you, Tekman, for your well-thought post.

My setup:

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO Motherboard
1055T CPU @ stock
G.Skill F3-12800CL9 2X2GB RAM
Radeon HD 6870 Vid w' Surroundview enabled + onboard HD 4200
USB: Webcam; Wireless mouse; keyboard; midi controller; printer

So the "audio whine" occurs only when the computer locks up while displaying corrupted graphics. This happens in games occasionally. As I said, I replaced my video card and it did it again.

I have noticed problems coming out of sleep mode and even monitor off mode--my keyboard becomes unresponsive or partially unresponsive (only certain keys work), and sometimes my mouse doesn't work either, making it impossible to get the monitors to turn back on. When the mouse is responsive but I notice the keyboard isn't working, I restart windows, at which point it BSODs with:
On Tue 5/15/2012 12:54:03 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051412-63367-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: usbhub.sys (usbhub+0x17FA)
Bugcheck code: 0xFE (0x8, 0x6, 0x6, 0xFFFFFA8006395B20)
Error: BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Default Hub Driver for USB
Bug check description: This indicates that an error has occurred in a Universal Serial Bus (USB) driver.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Could this usb problem be further sign that my motherboard is failing?

Cheers in advance,

Chizzops

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Absolutely...(Remember usb supplies low voltage power itself) your power circuits in the motherboard have something somewhere in the power being provided to the entire board..that is unable to clean the supplied power...something is probably heating up close to a fail...introducing the whine...then it bsods (hard locks) meaning the component now is outside safety parameters and the protection circuits kick in and halt the system to prevent damage...during the halt and ensuing reset...the failing component has time to cool back down..ie..it reboots and clears the protection codes fail code and allows for a successful boot...then... it begins all over again.

Be sure to disconnect ALL usb EXCEPT for keyboard and mouse...and if it was me...try using onboard video ONLY for one boot and check for issue...then try using external monitor with onboard video DISABLED...just to eliminate any external device being the problem.

USB does provide that low voltage power to external components and one of those could be failing OR the USB port it's plugged into could be going bad...ie bad usb controller or bad/shorted socket...hair in it...a small piece of metal from "who knows where" . The object here is to eliminate ALL but the motherboard itself...you're well on your way to narrowing it down if you do all the steps.

I wouldn't necessarily just replace things and hope..that's black box trouble shooting and it rapidly gets very expensive...I prefer to connect one component at a time and boot to see if I can recreate the issue...

I understand that the whine is only occuring with a hard lock..meaning your are "hearing" the bad component...something it sounds like..IS heating up and once it reaches the safety parameter and goes over..BAM...a hard lock occurs..(BSOD) and there you are.

It's difficult to isolate the failing component...but with usb ports being shut down..AND generating an error...I suspect "Strongly" the motherboard itself...still it would be nice to ensure your usb devices themselves aren't the culprit!!

Good luck friend!

chizzops

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Well, I'm back up and running. It was in fact the motherboard. I'm not sure if a USB hub just fried, or if my webcam fried it. I found that in shifting my monitor around, the base of my monitor had rolled over the webcam cable and stripped off the rubber in a short section, exposing the aluminum shielding material. It could be that it was shorting out. I put some electrical tape around it. It still functions fine, however.

At any rate, I got a new motherboard. I had to reinstall Windows 7, as it didn't like the new motherboard, but I think it had become pretty corrupted, anyways.

Thank you for your time and assistance!

-CHiZZoPs

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Sorry it was the motherboard...kinda figured that's where we would end up at but you never know until you at least try to locate the failing component...electrical noise is verrrrrry hard to nail down...at least you're up and running again!

Have a better day and enjoy:)