Help installing ek 680 block

welshmousepk

Distinguished
.Hey guys, ill keep this short as im on my phone.

Im trying to instal an ek fc block on my 680 and something is wrong. The block just doesnt seem to fit my card even though i have a reference asus card.

All the holes line up, but the supplied screws dont reach the pre installed standoffs. The capacitors on the board seem to be too tall, so the screws just dont go far enough. Even if i use a longer screw ( i tried a long on provided for the pci bracket( it just means the pcb ends up flexing horribly because the capacitors force a part of the board higher thrn the rest.

Really annoyed atm, as my pc is sat in pieces and i bought the damn block from usa, so its pretty much pointless returning it.

So does anyone have experiwnce with these blocks? Im pulling my hair out.

rdzona

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Yeah, the standoffs are there. Ive ftollowed the guides repeatedly. The problem is deffo the cappacitirs on the baord. They stick out more thagn they should so it holds up the side of the block. Im not sure if its tje card or tje block thouh. Maybe the gap on the block should be bigger? I thought all reference cards were the same? I dont get why mine would have slightly taller caps.

And yes i have the exact block. You can see an L shape in the top left and a line on the bottom were the copper is removed. Thats where the caps are mean to sit. But on mmine, the caps are too tall and wont allow the block to make contact.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
So the suplier of tje asus card replied to my mail and said the card is deffinetly reference. Ive emailed frozencpu about the block twice and still had no reply, which is not like them. Im of the opinion the block is most likely bad. A hige inconvinence, since my last lot of spare spending money for a while went on it (holiday in a week).

Ive just put tje loop together without the gpu for now, and will try getting another brand whem i have more free cash. Hugely annoying, but ill probably avoid both frozencpu and ek from now on.

rdzona

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
That really sucks and sorry to hear that. However I wouldn't just give up on trying to send that *** back, you shouldn't have to eat that cost. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Paying to return it would be half the cost of the block anyway. Then theres the risk that the replwcement will have the same issue, so it seems a better idea to just buy a different brand. Is there one thats entirely open where the caps are? Will look around when i have more cash.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
I actually have a rasa universal block already, but not enough ramsinks. You cant buy them here so it would be ages before i can get more.
Selling the current block will be almost impossible. Theres just no market for that stuff here.
I will probanly just leave it now. Sreally angry that a board advertised as reference clearly isnt.