Patriot sector 5 1333 ram problem

joeferral

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
i am overclocking my 2500k to 4.8ghz at 1.38v with giga z68x-ud3h-b3 with llc 5, pll enable, save energy all disable, others auto. normal temp is around 60c in the daytime, and 55c in the night. since pll enable, some spike temp (every 8-10 min) goes 68c. but no more than 70c.

it's quite stable, working more than a week with 100% load. but this afternoon, maybe weather get too hot, system finally locked, usb mouse/keyboard not working.

i am little bit worried about the ram, sector 5 1333. right now, i set everything about ram in bois as auto except voltage 1.58v. what i want is just stability. don't want ram affect system, which cause unstable problem. do you guys have any suggestion to set ram parameters?

thanks a bunch.

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
From what I can read...the default voltage of this particular ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220466

http://patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=5&catid=34&prodgroupid=200&id=881&type=1

requires (1.65v) NOT 1.58v..if that's the voltage you are running your ram at...then you need to up the default voltage on your motherboard to 1.65v for your ram to stabilize and operate normally.

If you read the information on Patriots site...it gives your the default tolerances and voltage...although the site also says the ram is designed to operate at a wide range of timing settings...it doesn't say ANYTHING about undervolting the ram...which when a load is applied the undervolting could/would cause a lockup or bsod or system restart as the ram is unable to manage the increase in workload when undervolted!

UP the voltage to 1.65v and run it there...you should be ok and the added voltage only results in a 1-2 watt increase so temps aren't affected much at all and the ram will have enough voltage to perform as it's rated to do.

Good Luck and post back with results whether or not this helps that way everyone knows what happened.

Respectfully,
tekman42

- make sure your BIOS is up to date (some BIOS updates add RAM proviles)

- make sure NOT to overclock your RAM when you overclock the CPU (you may have to LOWER the RAM multiplier if you RAISE the base clock. For example, if you overclock the CPU by 10% by raising the clock it might also overclock the RAM as well by 10% so lower the RAM's multiplier so it's back to the correct frequency)

- run MEMTEST for at least two passes (couple hours or until errors are detected)

www.memtest.org OR www.ultimatebootcd.com

joeferral

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
First thanks for your replies, tekman42 and Chainzsaw. I think I might go back 1.5v to see what will happen. But based on my personal experience, 1.5v is not as stable as 1.58v. I used auto setting (1.5v) for a while with cpu at 4.6ghz. then i got 1.58v from a overclock guide, but they also changed timing, which I skipped.

thanks

joeferral

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

thanks, photonboy. the bois is the newest one. and i set auto for ram speed. about MEMtest, in any setting, even default setting, I can not pass it. I am using linux system, after boot, i can run memtest directly. but for some reason, everytime system get restarted when loading memtest. this is why i worried about ram.

there is one possible reason, i update my ubuntu with kernel 3.3.1 (to use lm-sensors), but my system is still ubuntu 10.04, suppose to be kerel 2.6.41.