Is Nvidia going to be able to reduce gpu temps with 300 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
As I was window shopping online over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I was comparing the reviews of Nvidia and ATI cards. I have been a Nvidia fan boy for the last several years, dues only to how much I disliked ATI Catalyst Control Center. I think the last ATI card I personally purchase was the ATI AIW 128 rage pro. However recently I have been concerned about the normal operating temps of all Nvidia recent GPUs. I know that the componets are engineered to withstand the temperatures, but I was wondering about conductive heat to the other componets. Not all materials seem to be designed to dissipate heat. In other words, I could have great airflow, but it would be ineffective in removing some heat from from the MB. ATI 4 and 5k series cards seem to use less power and generate less heat. Is it time to take another look at ATI?

Solution
The high temps seem fine. I have a 4850 that had the stock cooler that ran it at 70C idle and 80-100C load. I put on an aftermarket cooler, and now it is 35C idle and 50-60C (I think) load. So, if they wanted to they could lower temps. And that card, despite its high temps, is still going strong after 1.5 years. Also, with proper case ventilation, the GPU high temps should have only minor effects on nearby components.

4745454b

Titan
Its probably been time. The AIW series had tons of problems. I've used the 9600pro, 9700pro, and x1800xt and never had a problem. (before you ask, my current machine uses the 8800GS from Nvidia. I use what performs best for my budget, I'm not tied to any one company.) My wife even still uses my old x1800xt.

Can't say whether G300 will run cooler. Sure they shrink from 55nm to 40nm, but they are also more then doubling the shader count. Toss in a clock speed bump and you could be looking at cards that are bigger, hotter, and use more power then the G200. This will be VERY bad if it happens as we all know how well the G200 did against the 4xxx series of cards. With what is known, I'm not sure what Nvidia will be able to do. If Nvidia had to EOL the G200 series before the G300 came out because they couldn't compete with AMDs offerings, I don't see how this changes with the new cards.

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Thanks for the confirmation. I was leaning hard towards a Saphire 5770 Jupter XT I think. I just hope that CCC has improved. It really was frustrating for me. I just am having a problem with 75c-80c temps with a 9800 GT. I was hoping that the heat issue could be solved much like CPU's from single to multi-core.

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I'm not having any problems. I guess it is just that I was concerned that the PCBs would become prematurely brittle with the prolonged heat, and heat and cooling cycles. I am not an engineer of any kind, I don't even like trains, but from experience I know the effects of heat and respect it. It is very possible that I am concerned over nothing, but I thought I would pose the question, because it was something I was interested in it.

The high temps seem fine. I have a 4850 that had the stock cooler that ran it at 70C idle and 80-100C load. I put on an aftermarket cooler, and now it is 35C idle and 50-60C (I think) load. So, if they wanted to they could lower temps. And that card, despite its high temps, is still going strong after 1.5 years. Also, with proper case ventilation, the GPU high temps should have only minor effects on nearby components.

Solution

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I have a couple Dynatron slot fans in my parts drawer. I was using one in a previous case. The problem is that they lasted about a month and then got noisy. I have extras because I would just replace them. I have a much better case for air flow now, so I haven't installed one. I have tried using NV system tools and speed fan to raise the GPU fan speed, but I start a game and it either goes to zero or about 17%. I haven't been able to figure out how to make it "stick" @ 60% while gaming. my temps drop to 65c-68c. I just can't figure out how to force it to stay there.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007

NICE!

Psh, I can't get the NCP to get anything to stick. However, there are alternatives, such as Rivatuner, which has worked flawlessly for me. Forces underclock (when I'm only using it for PhysX) of my 8800GT to around 200/300/400 and the fan at around 45% (which is still damn loud).

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

I guess that I should not base an opinion from product reviews, and that's why I am here. The maxim "HEAT - BAD" is hard to ignore. I just have to accept that the manufacturers obviously know what they are doing, however it's the "why" and "what if" that I find compeling. I just need to be hit over the head with the idea that "it's OK".

Yeah, i agree with you on that. I personally don't like the high temps. Check the real review sites (Anand, Tom's, etc., etc.) and see what temps they get when they test the cards. Also, often the initial models have the worst cooling. look to ones like the Sapphire Vapor X (I think, I don't have one) and other special ones for better cooling. And to go along with my point, i bought a second 4850, and it idles in the 35-40C with its cooler (the one they shipped it with).

Status
Not open for further replies.