Solved

Should i overclock my i5 2500k

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i5
Last response: in Overclocking
May 8, 2012 10:29:52 AM

hi there,i have a core i5 2500k gaming pc,and i am wondering if i should overclock my cpu,would there be any improvement in my gaming,i have software for my motherboard installed,asrock extreme tunning utility,this has options for overclocking my cpu..i dont really know how to do it myself so i would most likely take it to the local computer store to have it overclocked,any help is much appreciated

core i5 2500k cpu

coolermaster hyper 212 plus cpu cooler

gtx 560ti gainward golden sample video card

ASRock P67-PRO-B3 P67 motherboard

antec 650watt true power psu

4gig gskill ram

coolermaster cm storm chassis

window 7 64 bit

WD 1tb caviar black hard drive

More about : overclock 2500k

Best solution

a c 212 à CPUs
a c 117 K Overclocking
May 8, 2012 2:33:57 PM

There is no noticable advantage to overclocking your CPU at this time (future developments may dictate otherwise).
Adding a second GTX 5xx in SLI would be far more advantagous if you're currently unsatisfied with gaming performance (although a PSU upgrade might be in order for that)
If you want your unit overclocked (no rush to do so), I will highly recommend you read up on it here (and a few other sites) and do it yourself... you'll learn a lot about your computer (even if you don't decide to try it) and it can be very fun and personally rewarding. Also, and most important IMO, if there are issues in the future, you won't have to run (or ship) your unit back to the store (hopefully)
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 8, 2012 3:07:31 PM

If you feel you have a cpu bottleneck, start windows performance monitor or a program like OCCT, then fire up a game and play a few minutes, then alt+tab out and check your cpu utilization over that time period. If your CPU stays pegged at 100% for long periods (not short spikes), you could start small incremental overclocks to see if you can get some gains.

Like C12 said tho, if you're not feeling the pain I wouldn't bother. Also like C12 said, read up on voltages, temps, monitoring software before you give it a go.
m
l
Related resources
May 9, 2012 8:17:01 PM

C12Friedman said:
There is no noticable advantage to overclocking your CPU at this time (future developments may dictate otherwise).
Adding a second GTX 5xx in SLI would be far more advantagous if you're currently unsatisfied with gaming performance (although a PSU upgrade might be in order for that)
If you want your unit overclocked (no rush to do so), I will highly recommend you read up on it here (and a few other sites) and do it yourself... you'll learn a lot about your computer (even if you don't decide to try it) and it can be very fun and personally rewarding. Also, and most important IMO, if there are issues in the future, you won't have to run (or ship) your unit back to the store (hopefully)

i see,thank you for the advice,i have just one PCI-E slot,but i can upgrage my video card in the near future...thanks again
m
l
May 9, 2012 8:17:47 PM

Best answer selected by mrclownface.
m
l