Sign in with
Your question

Replacing mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
June 7, 2010 6:32:16 PM

I've recently decided it's time to replace my server's motherboard, I'm currently using an ASUS P5VD2-VM (socket 755 processor). I recently bought more ram for it only to realise it can't support more than 3GB (despite the manual saying it will support up to 4GB)... Speed is not a major issue here as it is a file server, but I want to be able to reuse all my other components. I'd also like to be able to reuse all the RAM (although some is only PC2-5300, most is PC2-6400), so 4 ram slots would be ideal.

Anyone got any suggestions?

More about : replacing mobo

a c 292 V Motherboard
June 7, 2010 8:18:55 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

What specific processor do u have?
June 7, 2010 8:22:06 PM

well it will support 4GB of ram, its just that a 32bit Operating System can only use 3.25GB of ram. Now if your Motherboard and other hardware is able to support a 64bit O.S, then it might be a good idea to install the 4GB just in case you ever decide to upgrade to windows7 64bit.
Related resources
June 8, 2010 8:27:37 AM

I'm using a socket 775 Celeron 1.6 but have a 2ghz core 2 duo that will go in there at some point.

As far as the ram support goes, it's not the OS thats the limiter... The bios reports 3gb when I have 3GB in, but only 2.5GB if I put in 2x2GB dimms.... Also, I'm using Linux on it cos it's a server :) 
June 8, 2010 12:45:19 PM

I did update the bios when I got the motherboard, but I've not done it in a while. The biggest problem is flashing the bios on a machine with no floppy drive and not running windows...
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 1:57:17 PM

Tiberios said:
I did update the bios when I got the motherboard, but I've not done it in a while. The biggest problem is flashing the bios on a machine with no floppy drive and not running windows...

The OS is not an issue when updating the BIOS. The floppy is though.

Not sure if it's possible to flash with a USB dongle though.
June 8, 2010 7:22:10 PM

Just double checked, I'm using the ASUS P5VD2-VM SE, not the ASUS P5VD2-VM.... There are no bios updates relating to memory for that.... so I'm back to square one - looking for a new mobo....
!