Sign in with
Your question

CPU cooling fan socket dead

Last response: in Motherboards
June 7, 2010 7:41:59 PM

Hello, My CPU fan stopped working, I have replaced the fan and the new one does not work. I have plugged the new fan into sys fan socket and it works fine.

My question is: Can I tell the bios that the CPU fan is connected to another socket so abit EQ doesnt show CPU fan speed as zero? And if so, how?

My mobo is abit IP35, E6550 processor and Ive just installed akasa blue aurora CPU cooler (Im a bit of a noob so be gentle please)
a c 102 à CPUs
a c 217 V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 2:43:50 AM

If lucky you may be able to tell the BIOS to ignore the CPU fan. On the other hand, you no longer have fan control based on the CPU temperature; therefore you'll have to make sure the fan spins fast enough to keep the CPU cool enough at full load.
June 8, 2010 10:21:11 AM

CPU idles at 22degrees and is at 35degrees after an hours gaming. The new CPU cooler has a 120mm fan attached and this blows at my 120mm case fan. I also have an 80mm intake fan on the case and the system isnt OCed at all. Thanks for the reply
Related resources
a c 102 à CPUs
a c 217 V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 11:47:20 AM

Then you're fine. Could you disable the CPU fan warning?
June 8, 2010 12:11:25 PM

I have disabled it in abitEQ but it still beeps at me for a good two minutes when I boot up. I will try to disable that in bios when I get home later. I can live with that if I have to I guess.
June 8, 2010 12:23:40 PM

I have disabled it in abitEQ but it still beeps at me for a good two minutes when I boot up. I will try to disable that in bios when I get home later. I can live with that if I have to I guess.
June 8, 2010 4:36:37 PM

I have noticed something strange. The new CPU cooler has a blue LED light in the fan. When this is plugged into the CPU fan socket, the LED lights up but the fan does not turn. Perhaps this means that the problem is not that the socket is dead? There must be some power there to light up the LED...
a c 102 à CPUs
a c 217 V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 6:45:45 PM

You'd have to use a DVM to check what voltage is available. Is there a setting in the BIOS to control the CPU fan speed? If so, it might be set to too low a value, e.g., silent, to allow the fan to spin. I had that issue with a Biostar motherboard and a non-Intel HSF.
June 8, 2010 9:36:12 PM

no, nothing for testing voltages. checked the bios and switched of the alarm. enabled abitEQ control of the system fan where the CPU fan is now plugged in. Its running at 1500rpm.
The CPU fan it set to run at 50% from start up, but I didnt think that was a problem as the fan does not spin up during POST at start up. I guess its not getting enough juice. I will see if I can borrow a volt meter.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Much appreciated :D 
!