Sign in with
Your question

Dell PC - DVD drive suddenly only read CDs. Help

Last response: in Storage
October 29, 2011 3:21:21 PM

Hi All,

This afternoon my Dad's Dell Studio PC suddenly stopped recognising DVD discs. I have tried some CD ROMs and it reads those fine, but when I put an DVDs in I'm told the drive is empty. It worked fine this morning and this afternoon it's stopped working.

The only thing I've been doing today is to try and get an old logitech steering wheel working to play F1 2010, but now I can't even do that as the disc isn't recognised so the game won't boot.

The PC is running Windows Vista 32bit, the DVD drive is a TSST TS-H653F.

I've tried updating the driver/firmware and it made no difference.
I uninstalled the driver and rebooted for Windows to reinstall it and that also made no difference.

I should stress, it reads CD discs just fine, but can't register DVDs.

Is there anything else I can do? I tried booting in safe mode, but the same problem exists there too.

Is this a hardware or software issue? Could the logitech software I was trying to install for the steering wheel (it's rather old) have caused a problem? Are there any registry entries I should be checking?

Thanks for any help,

David
October 29, 2011 3:59:23 PM

One extra piece of info - if I insert a DVD-R it opens up in explorer but is as if it's a blank/unwritten disc. This is on discs which I know have multiple files on them.
October 29, 2011 6:07:50 PM

And another piece of info. To try and work out if this is a windows problem i decided to try and boot from the Dell Windows OS DVD. It didn't work, instead booted straight from the HDD.

This suggests that either the DVD drive is at fault, or there's a motherboard or BIOS issue.

I'll try a CMOS BIOS reset this evening to see if that works, otherwise I'll be buying another DVD drive tomorrow to see what that does.

If that doesn't work, I have no idea what can fix it.
October 29, 2011 7:16:30 PM

One last update for tonight.

I've flashed the BIOS - no improvement.
I've cleared the CMOS - No improvement.

I've swapped the GFX card just incase it was a PSU power draw issue - No improvement.

This is now leaving me with the only option of changing the DVD RW Drive. If that doesn't work, it'll be a phonecall to DELL
!