32k sim card came with my v551 from best buy

I have seen info on here about the 32k sims from best buy in 551's and
I have one. Is there any reason to go for the larger sim card and will
i really notice in difference?

Also where could I get one and how much. Obviously not best buy.

In article <k9dv21t5c10sb4frvpj3adjldhh0q41g31@4ax.com>, Jeff Hodges <>
wrote:

> I have seen info on here about the 32k sims from best buy in 551's and
> I have one. Is there any reason to go for the larger sim card and will
> i really notice in difference?
>
> Also where could I get one and how much. Obviously not best buy.

Depends where you live. If Cingular has good GSM coverage in your area,
32K will suit you fine. If you live in an area where ATTWS coverage is
"better" than Cingulars, you'd be better served with the 64K Sim, and
you should insist Cingular GIVE you one.

I called cingular today and explained my situation and was told by a
tech that there is absolutely no advantage in the 64k sim in regard to
coverage. He went as far as to say there are lots of "urban legends"
on the internet about benefits of the 64k sim...no i don't know what
to believe

In article <od02319dffloo7gcjmv3qnbat35ra26v67@4ax.com>, Jeff Hodges <>
wrote:

> I called cingular today and explained my situation and was told by a
> tech that there is absolutely no advantage in the 64k sim in regard to
> coverage. He went as far as to say there are lots of "urban legends"
> on the internet about benefits of the 64k sim...no i don't know what
> to believe

Go to a Company store, ask for the manager. Low level folks at the 800
number dont have the authority to give you a 64K sim, so they make it up
as they go along. Anything to get you off the line.

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:04:22 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <k9dv21t5c10sb4frvpj3adjldhh0q41g31@4ax.com>, Jeff Hodges <>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I have seen info on here about the 32k sims from best buy in 551's and
> >> I have one. Is there any reason to go for the larger sim card and will
> >> i really notice in difference?
> >>
> >> Also where could I get one and how much. Obviously not best buy.
> >
> >Depends where you live. If Cingular has good GSM coverage in your area,
> >32K will suit you fine. If you live in an area where ATTWS coverage is
> >"better" than Cingulars, you'd be better served with the 64K Sim, and
> >you should insist Cingular GIVE you one.

> I called cingular today and explained my situation and was told by a
> tech that there is absolutely no advantage in the 64k sim in regard to
> coverage. He went as far as to say there are lots of "urban legends"
> on the internet about benefits of the 64k sim...no i don't know what
> to believe

Here's the story:

Cingular is battling the full integration of ATTWS network assets into
the Cingular system (including but not limited to towers and other
infrastructure, billing systems, et al) and it is a HUGE undertaking.
Until it is complete, there are still 2 systems: the main Cingular
(orange) system, and the subsidiary ATTWS (blue) system. Unfortunately,
your phone doesn't know that they are part of the same company, so it
will always prefer one system over the other.

Here's how the SIM will normally prefer systems:

ATTWS SIM - will prefer ATTWS (blue) system
16k or 32k Cingular SIM - will prefer Cingular (orange) system
64K Cingular SIM - this SIM can be told to prefer either system.

Of course, all customers have access to both systems, but it's just a
matter of which one will be sought for first.

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:04:22 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>

>>In article <k9dv21t5c10sb4frvpj3adjldhh0q41g31@4ax.com>, Jeff Hodges <>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>I have seen info on here about the 32k sims from best buy in 551's and
>>>I have one. Is there any reason to go for the larger sim card and will
>>>i really notice in difference?
>>>
>>>Also where could I get one and how much. Obviously not best buy.
>>
>>Depends where you live. If Cingular has good GSM coverage in your area,
>>32K will suit you fine. If you live in an area where ATTWS coverage is
>>"better" than Cingulars, you'd be better served with the 64K Sim, and
>>you should insist Cingular GIVE you one.

My local store provided me with a 64k smart sim no problem....didn't
even mention any kind of fee.

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 02:53:35 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>In article <od02319dffloo7gcjmv3qnbat35ra26v67@4ax.com>, Jeff Hodges <>
>wrote:
>
>> I called cingular today and explained my situation and was told by a
>> tech that there is absolutely no advantage in the 64k sim in regard to
>> coverage. He went as far as to say there are lots of "urban legends"
>> on the internet about benefits of the 64k sim...no i don't know what
>> to believe
>
>Go to a Company store, ask for the manager. Low level folks at the 800
>number dont have the authority to give you a 64K sim, so they make it up
>as they go along. Anything to get you off the line.
>

>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:04:22 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Depends where you live. If Cingular has good GSM coverage in your area,
>> >32K will suit you fine. If you live in an area where ATTWS coverage is
>> >"better" than Cingulars, you'd be better served with the 64K Sim, and
>> >you should insist Cingular GIVE you one.

> Here's the story:
>
> Cingular is battling the full integration of ATTWS network assets into the
> Cingular system (including but not limited to towers and other
> infrastructure, billing systems, et al) and it is a HUGE undertaking.
> Until it is complete, there are still 2 systems: the main Cingular
> (orange) system, and the subsidiary ATTWS (blue) system. Unfortunately,
> your phone doesn't know that they are part of the same company, so it will
> always prefer one system over the other.
>
> Here's how the SIM will normally prefer systems:
>
> ATTWS SIM - will prefer ATTWS (blue) system
> 16k or 32k Cingular SIM - will prefer Cingular (orange) system
> 64K Cingular SIM - this SIM can be told to prefer either system.
>
> Of course, all customers have access to both systems, but it's just a
> matter of which one will be sought for first.

I might add that, as a new Cingular customer, if you have a 64k sim and an
ENS capable phone, you will be assigned to prefer either Blue or Orange at
ramdom (or manually by Cingular). This is done for network load balancing
as you would not want too many customers overloading either system. But if
one system is not available, your phone will automatically access the other
system.