Buying a laptop in the US to use in the UK

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Off to the States next week and looking to buy one (around £800.00).

Really don't have much of a clue but looking to be able to use my existing
broadband connection and be able to play newish games online (HL2 and PES4
for example).

I presume the same batteries will be used as here and i'll only need a
convertor to a 3 pin plug - anything else to look out for?

Cheers.
--
Jason
18 answers Last reply

    I know when I was in the UK, the keyboard was different. I don't know if that
    is a problem. you may have to "remap" keys

    Frank

    Jason wrote:

    > Off to the States next week and looking to buy one (around £800.00).
    >
    > Really don't have much of a clue but looking to be able to use my existing
    > broadband connection and be able to play newish games online (HL2 and PES4
    > for example).
    >
    > I presume the same batteries will be used as here and i'll only need a
    > convertor to a 3 pin plug - anything else to look out for?
    >
    > Cheers.
    > --
    > Jason
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Jason wrote:

    > Off to the States next week and looking to buy one (around £800.00).
    >
    > Really don't have much of a clue but looking to be able to use my existing
    > broadband connection and be able to play newish games online (HL2 and PES4
    > for example).
    >
    > I presume the same batteries will be used as here and i'll only need a
    > convertor to a 3 pin plug - anything else to look out for?

    Warranty issues.

    Ted,

    > ted.ffraterwrote:
    Hi Jason,
    > If your interested in a thinkpad mail Bruce Markowitz on
    > scosgt at worldnett.att.net as hes in New Jersey and an active
    thinkpad
    > reseller on the East Coast. Hes reliable and wont stitch you up. Hes
    > regular contributor to the Thinkpad mailing list.
    > Tell him exactly what you want and hell do his best to help you
    out.
    > and find the machine to do what you want.

    Thanks for the good feedback on Bruce, he'll appreciate it, but he
    won't appreciate his email addy being outed in the NGs for the bots
    and he won't be happy the hear that he's moved from NYC to here in
    Jersey with me! ;-)

    BTW I second Bruce as an excellent place to get a good used or older
    NIB Thinkpad.

    ==============
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Martin Slaney" <slazNIET_SPAM@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

    > Warranty issues.

    IBM warranties are worldwide.

    You'd need a different charger. That's all.

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Not even a charger, just an adapter for the UK power plug. Although mains
    voltage is 110 V in the USA and 220 in the UK, virtually all laptops will
    handle voltages from 100-240V. As to where to buy, have a look at the big
    magazines, like BestBuy, CircuitCity, CompUSA, and find a laptot that you
    like - your requirements doesn't seem too stringent.
    Adil
    "Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > "Martin Slaney" <slazNIET_SPAM@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > Warranty issues.
    >
    > IBM warranties are worldwide.
    >
    > You'd need a different charger. That's all.
    >
    > --
    > Yours
    >
    > Zebedee
    >
    > (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    > to escape paying his debts to
    > Dougal and Florence)

  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Zebedee <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > "Martin Slaney" <slazNIET_SPAM@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> Warranty issues.
    >
    > IBM warranties are worldwide.
    >
    > You'd need a different charger. That's all.

    The charger is worldwide as well, all you need is a plug converter or a new
    power (kettle) cord for the charger.

    --
    Regards,

    James

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:20:23 -0000, "Jason" <j.connon@ntlworld.com>
    wrote:

    >Off to the States next week and looking to buy one (around £800.00).
    >
    >Really don't have much of a clue but looking to be able to use my existing
    >broadband connection and be able to play newish games online (HL2 and PES4
    >for example).
    >
    >I presume the same batteries will be used as here and i'll only need a
    >convertor to a 3 pin plug - anything else to look out for?

    yeah buy it online and get them to ship it to your hotel and save
    another 5-600 dollars <G>

    cheapest i could find a sony tr3a was 2200 dollars in the stores.
    online i bought one for 1750 dollars which is will under a grand

    things to watch out for.... buy a make that you can buy the equivalent
    over here so spares etc are easy to buy

    Bob
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Hi Jason,
    If your interested in a thinkpad mail Bruce Markowitz on
    scosgt@worldnett.att.net as hes in New Jersey and an active thinkpad
    reseller on the East Coast. Hes reliable and wont stitch you up. Hes a
    regular contributor to the Thinkpad mailing list .
    Tell him exactly what you want and hell do his best to help you out.
    and find the machine to do what you want.
    Ted Frater Dorset UK

    Jason wrote:
    > Off to the States next week and looking to buy one (around £800.00).
    >
    > Really don't have much of a clue but looking to be able to use my existing
    > broadband connection and be able to play newish games online (HL2 and PES4
    > for example).
    >
    > I presume the same batteries will be used as here and i'll only need a
    > convertor to a 3 pin plug - anything else to look out for?
    >
    > Cheers.
    > --
    > Jason

  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    items4sale@bellsouth-ANTISPAM-.net wrote in

    > I know when I was in the UK, the keyboard was different. I don't know
    > if that is a problem. you may have to "remap" keys
    >
    > Frank
    >
    > Jason wrote:
    >
    >> Off to the States next week and looking to buy one (around £800.00).
    >>
    >> Really don't have much of a clue but looking to be able to use my
    >> existing broadband connection and be able to play newish games online
    >> (HL2 and PES4 for example).
    >>
    >> I presume the same batteries will be used as here and i'll only need
    >> a convertor to a 3 pin plug - anything else to look out for?
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >> --
    >> Jason

    You just set windows to use an American keyboard.. The only problem is if
    you use another computer you end up using the wrong keys pounds,@ quotes
    etc. Does not seem like a big problem until you actually try using two
    computers with two different keyboard layouts!
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Adil Vaz wrote:
    || Not even a charger, just an adapter for the UK power plug. Although
    || mains voltage is 110 V in the USA and 220 in the UK, virtually all
    || laptops will handle voltages from 100-240V. As to where to buy, have
    || a look at the big magazines, like BestBuy, CircuitCity, CompUSA, and
    || find a laptot that you like - your requirements doesn't seem too
    || stringent.
    || Adil
    || "Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    ||| "Martin Slaney" <slazNIET_SPAM@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    ||| IBM warranties are worldwide.
    ||| You'd need a different charger. That's all.
    ||| --
    ||| Yours
    ||| Zebedee
    ||| (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    ||| to escape paying his debts to
    ||| Dougal and Florence)

    Hi,

    I will be staying on International Drive in Florida. Any local stores?
    --
    Jason
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Martin Ktech" <wahalla88@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > You just set windows to use an American keyboard.. The only problem is if
    > you use another computer you end up using the wrong keys pounds,@ quotes
    > etc. Does not seem like a big problem until you actually try using two
    > computers with two different keyboard layouts!

    Oh come on! The differences are minor. How many people in the UK use US
    keyboards? I've used both UK and US here. If I press shift and 2 and an @
    appears then I check to see if that's what's on the key. If it is then I
    remember that the " is above the '. If not then I correct the keyboard
    settings.

    If a US keyboard is so different from a UK keyboard that the user finds it a
    major problem then I hope to God that such an incompetent user never applies
    for work in my company!

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    I didn't say it was a major problem! I said there was a difference. If you went
    back and forth between keyboards, there are screwups! The major pain was looking
    for "/","\" etc. I was there for 2 weeks, the people that came here on short
    term had a similar problem.
    A German keyboard is really different!
    Just my $0.02
    Frank

    Zebedee wrote:

    > "Martin Ktech" <wahalla88@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > You just set windows to use an American keyboard.. The only problem is if
    > > you use another computer you end up using the wrong keys pounds,@ quotes
    > > etc. Does not seem like a big problem until you actually try using two
    > > computers with two different keyboard layouts!
    >
    > Oh come on! The differences are minor. How many people in the UK use US
    > keyboards? I've used both UK and US here. If I press shift and 2 and an @
    > appears then I check to see if that's what's on the key. If it is then I
    > remember that the " is above the '. If not then I correct the keyboard
    > settings.
    >
    > If a US keyboard is so different from a UK keyboard that the user finds it a
    > major problem then I hope to God that such an incompetent user never applies
    > for work in my company!
    >
    > --
    > Yours
    >
    > Zebedee
    >
    > (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    > to escape paying his debts to
    > Dougal and Florence)
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    <items4sale@bellsouth-ANTISPAM-.net> wrote in message
    > I didn't say it was a major problem! I said there was a difference. If you
    went
    > back and forth between keyboards, there are screwups! The major pain was
    looking
    > for "/","\" etc. I was there for 2 weeks, the people that came here on
    short
    > term had a similar problem.
    > A German keyboard is really different!
    > Just my $0.02
    > Frank

    I know. One of the letters is in a different position. i've used German
    keyboards. French keyboards are different again. I've even used a Latvian
    keyboard and that's really different. One of my keyboards that I use a lot
    is actually in Cyrillic :)

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Zebedee wrote:
    > <items4sale@bellsouth-ANTISPAM-.net> wrote in message
    >> I didn't say it was a major problem! I said there was a difference.
    >> If you went back and forth between keyboards, there are screwups!
    >> The major pain was looking for "/","\" etc. I was there for 2
    >> weeks, the people that came here on short term had a similar problem.
    >> A German keyboard is really different!
    >> Just my $0.02
    >> Frank
    >
    > I know. One of the letters is in a different position. i've used
    > German keyboards. French keyboards are different again. I've even
    > used a Latvian keyboard and that's really different. One of my
    > keyboards that I use a lot is actually in Cyrillic :)
    >
    > --
    > Yours
    >
    > Zebedee
    >
    > (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    > to escape paying his debts to
    > Dougal and Florence)

    Ah! The multilingual English!

    Remove "nospam" from return address.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Jason <j.connon@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    > I will be staying on International Drive in Florida. Any local
    > stores?

    Could you be a _little_ more specific? Like what city you'll be in?

    --
    Regards,

    James

  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    > <items4sale@bellsouth-ANTISPAM-.net> wrote in message
    >> I didn't say it was a major problem! I said there was a difference.
    >> If you
    > went
    >> back and forth between keyboards, there are screwups! The major pain
    >> was
    > looking

    We can all get by on a different keyboard but the point is if you save
    GBP200 on the purchase price of the laptop but then spend the next two
    years getting by & moaning about the keyboard have you really saved
    anything.

    My mother saved GBP800 buying a manual car instead of an automatic, on the
    advice of my sister. Now everytime I visit my mother I get the oh my back,
    oh my knee story, how sitting in traffic causes so much pain..
    Luckily my sister only lives 10 miles away from my mother so she has to
    listen to it a lot more than me!
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    JHEM wrote:
    || Jason <j.connon@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    ||| I will be staying on International Drive in Florida. Any local
    ||| stores?
    || Could you be a _little_ more specific? Like what city you'll be in?
    || --
    || Regards,
    || James
    || Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com
    Sorry. International Drive.

    --
    Jason
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Compusa ... You will need to head east on I-4 to Altamonte Springs [hwy 436]
    just outside of Orlando. Exit right and it is the first traffic light.

    --
    Diane

    "Jason" <j.connon@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > JHEM wrote:
    > || Could you be a _little_ more specific? Like what city you'll be in?
    > || --
    > || Regards,
    > || James
    > || Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com