How does ReplayTV decide to record another show?

I have an old ReplayTV (Panasonic Showstopper) and I am seeing a
behavior that I swear I didn't used to see.

I have a record setting for any show with the title of "Sesame Street"

I have it set to keep two shows.

What I am finding is that if the same episode is on Friday and Sunday, I
get the same episode twice, even though the descriptions and title are
EXACTLY the same.

I thought the ReplayTV was supposed to be smart enough to not record the
same show twice?

Or does this only apply if you are recording at a particular time, vs.
using the name of a show.

Does anyone know if this problem happens with the current software on
the new ReplayTV models?

Thanks

Mike
4 answers Last reply
More about replaytv decide record show

    Michael Kaply wrote:
    > I have an old ReplayTV (Panasonic Showstopper) and I am seeing a
    > behavior that I swear I didn't used to see.
    >
    > I have a record setting for any show with the title of "Sesame Street"
    >
    > I have it set to keep two shows.
    >
    > What I am finding is that if the same episode is on Friday and Sunday, I
    > get the same episode twice, even though the descriptions and title are
    > EXACTLY the same.
    >
    > I thought the ReplayTV was supposed to be smart enough to not record the
    > same show twice?
    >
    > Or does this only apply if you are recording at a particular time, vs.
    > using the name of a show.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this problem happens with the current software on
    > the new ReplayTV models?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike

    Theme recordings record all instances of a program and always did.

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 03:26:12 -0400, Anthony Donegan
    <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Michael Kaply wrote:
    >> I have an old ReplayTV (Panasonic Showstopper) and I am seeing a
    >> behavior that I swear I didn't used to see.
    >>
    >> I have a record setting for any show with the title of "Sesame Street"
    >>
    >> I have it set to keep two shows.
    >>
    >> What I am finding is that if the same episode is on Friday and Sunday, I
    >> get the same episode twice, even though the descriptions and title are
    >> EXACTLY the same.
    >>
    >> I thought the ReplayTV was supposed to be smart enough to not record the
    >> same show twice?
    >>
    >> Or does this only apply if you are recording at a particular time, vs.
    >> using the name of a show.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if this problem happens with the current software on
    >> the new ReplayTV models?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Mike
    >
    >Theme recordings record all instances of a program and always did.

    The Replay will skip recording the duplicate if there is an episode
    title (at least it does on both my 5xxx Replays). Maybe thos "Sesame
    Street" shows lack episode titles. In that case, the unit won't
    recognize duplication.

    I have had a theme channel set up for "Enterprise" (and have all 3rd
    season episodes through "E2"). Most of these shows (which all have
    episode titles) are on twice in the same week (Wednesday and
    Saturday). That channel has never recorded duplicates.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid

    It is important to note that the episode title has to be an exact duplicate to
    avoid recording. If the programmer puts in some "helpful" note like "repeat" it
    will record it again. I see this on my Letterman.

    On 11 May 2004 17:53:15 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

    >It is important to note that the episode title has to be an exact duplicate to
    >avoid recording. If the programmer puts in some "helpful" note like "repeat" it
    >will record it again. I see this on my Letterman.

    True. I've seen episode titles changed several times, including an
    episode of South Park that was first called "Cartman Says ..." then
    changed to "It Hits The Fan" (same show, you'd get both showings that
    week).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid