Solved

Sk boot failure, inserst disk, blah, blah, blah

Pc working fine, came in and say this error.
System is HP - AMD 62 X2 dual core 4200, 2.2 Ghz cpu speed, WIN XP SP2.
Lost WIN CD that came with when I moved last year, but do have back-up for important data.
What are my options?
I have some ability with computers, upgrading video cards, memory, basic troubleshooting, but not a geek, so PLEASE keep help / tips simple.

Thanks!!!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about boot failure inserst disk blah blah blah
  1. Try using the cmos jumper to reset the bios. With the system off, move this jumper over one position to keep 2 out of 3 pins covered, then return to it's original position. Or remove the board battery for a few seconds, and reinstall. Also check for a loose cable connection for your hardrive.
  2. very helpful, except for one thing, there are no jumpers installed. I found the CMOS pins and per HP website:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00496280

it showed where they are and what to do...except there are NO jumpers installed.
    Checked NO loose cables. If I set up DEFAULTS for the BIOS, what will this do and can I go back & change if needed? I wrote down all the settings.
  3. Removed battery, no change.
    Ran diagnostics and got Error Code HP521-2W, which seems to be a hard drive failure. Going to buly new hard drive, but new issue is that I do not have original disks with WIN XP. I do have my wife's laptop and her disks with same OS. Will this work?
    Once hard drive replaced and WIN XP loaded, will I need to do a system restore or is that not necessary?
  4. Best answer
    If both windows cd's are for hp systems, then yes. To activate, use your coa sticker number from the case.
  5. Best answer selected by cantsleep2nite.
  6. thank you, up and running. New Hard Drive in, WIN installed, copying files from West. Dig. Book drive.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Boot Failure