Advise for changing motherboard on Windows 7, doesn't boot.

scampy_008

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Hi All,

Need some advise, first the situation. I buy and sell customer return from CPU's, Mobo's etc. Just started pretty recently an still catching up from Win 98.

I currently have Windows 7 installed on my hard drive and really dont want to to do a fresh install everytime I want to test a new motherboard.

Sometimes they run fine sometimes they don't.

Example did a fresh install for an Intel MATX with an atom on it, then tested an Asus P5 worked fine. Tried testing a P7 its botts goes to starting windows page, then re-starts.

Is there anyway for re-start from Dos or Safe mode just to get it into Windows then download drivers afterwards???

Any advise would be appreciated

Can't get around windows 7 restarts. You may need to use an older windows version. Windows 2k will often restart and allow you to install drivers in safe mode. But most newer boards don't provide drivers for it.

Could try using the REPAIR Install to reset the drivers and system files based on the new configuration (windows will reexamine the system and install new drivers based on the examination like it does during a fresh install but will keep your programs etc. intact instead of doing a fresh install of everything.) -- Just run the setup.exe from the windows disk and select the Repair installation option instead of the install option. (Not the REPAIR Console option but Repair Install )

EDIT : Actually was thinking of XP with WIn VISTA or Win 7 you could use Startup Repair -- SEE HERE

scampy_008

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Tried the start-up repair did not work,

Is there a way partiton hard drives, example I have a 500gb hard drive, make 5 different partitions with 5 different types of installation so when i interchange boards it allows me to interchange the OS??

One for a 775, one for an 1156, 1366 etc?

Regards Scamp