Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I2500k Temps High, P67A-C45 No Voltage option

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
May 8, 2012 2:24:02 PM

I'm having two issues currently. Start with my specs,

Memory: 4Gx4|CORSAIR CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
CPU: Intel core i5 2500k
Stock Cooler
Motherboard: MB MSI|P67A-C43 (B3) P67
GPU: GIGABYTE|GV-N560SO-1GI-950 1G

Anyway. Recently noticed while playing a particularly CPU dependent game a marked decrease in performance. Fired up RealTemp and it immediately went in to alarm mode. 98c CPU Temp, GPU never went higher than 37c. I knew that wasn't good.

Broke down case, cleaned out dust bunnies insured cooler pins were in all of the way. Cleaning up lowered Temps a few degrees, but still runs too hot around 78c-80c under load. Not good.

Went into Bios and noticed voltage was set to 1.4 with no way in the Bios to change it. OC genie is off. Bios settings are otherwise default settings, no OC'ing done. Resetting to default again and still voltages look too high and temperature is too high. I want to know if there is a way to decrease voltage on this board. The voltage option is greyed out and I don't see anywhere to turn on manual voltage setting. Also, Bios shows CPU as being running at 4.2ghz which is odd because I thought stock clock speed was 3.3?
May 8, 2012 2:34:34 PM

New development: Went in to Bios under "Power Saving" section. Green leaf/bulb all of the way on the left and disabled everything in that category. This enabled voltage modification in overclocking section as well as returned displayed voltage and clock speeds to what I expect. Reported voltage is now 1.2 and clock speed is now 3.33. Temperatures gone up to 76c. Will report if they go higher.

Those power saving options, are any of them a bad idea to disable? I must admit, I'm not sure what they all do exactly.
m
0
l
May 8, 2012 2:51:12 PM

Gone up to a maximum of 97c according to RealTemp. Ouch.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 8, 2012 3:24:40 PM

If i were you mate, I'd restore your bios to default settings. This should make sure that all options are on default. Also wht kind of cooler are you using? And is the thermal paste fresh?
m
0
l
May 8, 2012 3:28:10 PM

You're kind of all over the place, at least I'm having a hard time following your progression. If you want, list more clearly what was your starting point, the follow it by changes made and list your vcore and load temp at each step.

B/C at first you had temps in the 90's, then you defaulted your bios and temp went down to 76C, and then they went back up to 97C after making no changes?
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a c 153 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 8, 2012 3:58:34 PM

What is your room temp?

Because you have the stock cooler, 76degree is OK. If the temp keep going up you should consider to buy a aftermarket cooler like 120mm cpu cooler.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 8, 2012 4:21:41 PM

cin19 said:
Because you have the stock cooler, 76degree is OK.

Absolutely not. A stock 2500k shouldn't be anywhere near 76 degrees. I can pump 1.4v through mine and run it at 5.1 GHz and it barely gets that hot.

Sounds like you didn't install the fan correctly and it's not getting good contact with the chip. You'll need to get some new thermal paste and reseat the heatsink. Intel stock coolers can be a pain in the ass to get installed correctly because those flimsy plastic clips like to bend and break.

Be sure to properly clean off all the old paste before applying new paste. There are plenty of guides out there on proper application.
m
0
l
May 9, 2012 2:12:45 AM

I apologize for my post being all over the place. My post was written similarly to how my brain organizes thoughts. :p 

I took the thermal paste route, as suggested, because I was using a stock cooler and the thermal paste was in three strips as described. Upon removal of the heatsink form the CPU I noticed that it was still only in three strips except that one and a half of said strips were 'obliterated'. It was as if half of the paste had become a chalky like substance and still did not cover very much of the CPU's surface. Suffice to say, I ran a benchmark and my CPU topped out at 63c. Going to run an in-game test in a little bit and go back to where I was suffering 97c degree temperatures.

Marc_W1771ams said:
If i were you mate, I'd restore your bios to default settings. This should make sure that all options are on default. Also wht kind of cooler are you using? And is the thermal paste fresh?

Bios was reset to default settings. I had to turn off 'power saving' settings in order for my CPU to display stock voltage and clock settings. Thermal paste was original from April last year, and cooler is stock cooler.

rdzona said:
You're kind of all over the place, at least I'm having a hard time following your progression. If you want, list more clearly what was your starting point, the follow it by changes made and list your vcore and load temp at each step.

B/C at first you had temps in the 90's, then you defaulted your bios and temp went down to 76C, and then they went back up to 97C after making no changes?

90c's at work, 70c's idle. Defaulting Bios settings made no difference, and default settings were for some reason 'overclocked'.

cin19 said:
What is your room temp?

Because you have the stock cooler, 76degree is OK. If the temp keep going up you should consider to buy a aftermarket cooler like 120mm cpu cooler.

76c at rest isn't OK if it's going to spike to 89c at work.

willard said:
Absolutely not. A stock 2500k shouldn't be anywhere near 76 degrees. I can pump 1.4v through mine and run it at 5.1 GHz and it barely gets that hot.

Sounds like you didn't install the fan correctly and it's not getting good contact with the chip. You'll need to get some new thermal paste and reseat the heatsink. Intel stock coolers can be a pain in the ass to get installed correctly because those flimsy plastic clips like to bend and break.

Be sure to properly clean off all the old paste before applying new paste. There are plenty of guides out there on proper application.

Thermal paste re-installed. I don't believe the heatsink was installed improperly as I've been running this PC for roughly a year and it was tight and secure when I went to remove it.
m
0
l
May 9, 2012 2:46:47 AM

Sat in the game for 28 minutes right after the benchmark. CPU temp topped out at 69c. :) 
m
0
l
!