fightclub25

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Hello, i was just wondering if by putting aftermarket cpu cooler in a cpu that is not going to be overclocked in a while(month or two), will it still make it more cooler and possibly damage it, or will it make no difference untill i overclock it?

THx, i know its prob a noob question but i dont know about this stuff.

Solution
An after market cooler would do a better job of cooling your CPU full stop. If your not over clocking you will still be running at lower temperatures (no this will not cause any damage to your CPU)

The reason we use after market coolers to overclock is because it gives us more headroom before we hit the thermal cut-off on a CPU.

boodahz

Honorable
May 7, 2012

If you install your aftermarket cooler correctly, having it will not hurt your computer. However, you will just have to take it off again if you upgrade your CPU or MoBo.

IMO you should wait.

Marc_W1771ams

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
An after market cooler would do a better job of cooling your CPU full stop. If your not over clocking you will still be running at lower temperatures (no this will not cause any damage to your CPU)

The reason we use after market coolers to overclock is because it gives us more headroom before we hit the thermal cut-off on a CPU.

Solution

Goodeggray

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
You're better off putting on the after market cooler when the computer is first build. It'll help lower the CPU temps even if you don't overclock. In real world conditions a CPU can never run too cool and you don't have to remove the stock cooler later on when you upgrade.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

There are a couple points on the planet that are cold enough to potentially produce a cold bug :D. Not that anybody is running their computer on the Antarctic wasteland during winter, but still. Real world!

But really, "too cold" happens at around negative 60c to negative 80c, and then it's certainly not damaging the chip, just causing it to crash until it warms up again. Go ahead and put the cooler on.