Sign in with
Your question

Looking for X79 Turbo Overclocking Guide

Last response: in Overclocking
May 8, 2012 4:24:17 PM

So I have a P9X79 Deluxe mobo and a 3930K CPU (build in the sig), and I've heard that you can overclock the CPU using the turbo mode alone. Meaning, the CPU is still allowed to downclock itself to 1200MHz or so when idling, but ramps up to 4.8GHz (my current OC) under load. Problem is, when I adjusted the turbo mode multiplier it seems that my system just STAYS at 4.8GHz, even when idling.

Anyways, I've been having a hard time finding a good guide to overclocking guide for X79 boards, and I'd love to find one specifically for the P9X79 BIOS since there are a number of new settings that just don't have an adequate description in the manual as to what they do and how they pertain to overclocking. From reading reviews on several larger review sites they all seem to have been able to overclock in the way I described but they all offer only the vaguest explanation of how they achieved it. Anyways, I'd appreciate any assistance.
May 9, 2012 3:45:53 PM

Well, I fiddled around with power settings a bit after finding this guide: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

I know have a nice, stable overclock of 4.6GHz which tops out 61C under load which I'm happy with, but I still can't get it to throttle down. Intel SpeedStep is enabled, as are all C power states...not sure what the problem is...
July 16, 2012 4:49:28 PM

Hi. Did you find a solution to your problem? I have the exact same issue with the same config. Thanks
!