Just bought I7-860 CPU and Biostar T5XE. Now what else do I need?

bigheadanthony

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP. Now

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, LCD

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type. I already bought the I7-860 and Biostar combo at frys for $230. Now I just need the rest of the computer.
This is the Motherboard
OVERCLOCKING: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920X1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This is going to be my first computer build.

Harddrive

I was thinking of getting the Intel SSD 80 gig but not sure which one to buy. There are two listed with Newegg

This one or
This one

Ram. Not sure what the difference is, but I was thinking of one of these.
GKILL

Other GKILL

Case
This Antec seems to have good Reviews

Power Supply
Corsair. Not sure if this is enough power

Video Card
5850 when it comes back in stock. I wanted to do a 3 monitor setup one day

Please let me know what you guys think. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bigheadanthony

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I also need a CPU cooler since I'm going to give overclocking a try. Not even sure where to start looking for that.

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Why did you not pick up also, either of the 4GB DDR3 deals that Fry's had going also?

Patriot DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel $79

or

Corsair PC1333 Dual DDR3 $79

I just got that combo also and did not pick up the memory. But now I'm kind of regretting it. Just getting the combo sort of makes the monthly bills harder to pay off. But I do need memory for this build. I want to have it all together within the next 15 days to be within the return policy if something does not work. But the drive to Fry's alone cost me about $8. Thought I'd be able to find a good deal online but now I'm wondering.

Both brands Patriot and Corsair look to be on the approved list: http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en%2Dus/t-series/memory_report.php?S_ID=445 or maybe not if the stick size matters, looks like the 2GB Corsair might be the only one on Biostars list. The Patriot one is only 1GB. If size matters. I've been highlighting the model number in the link and googling them.

I'm only finding online the 2GB Corsair in 6GB kits and I think that the memory can only be installed in pairs if I'm reading the online manual correctly (I've not opened the box for that manual yet).

They also had some other very good deals to knock of a few things from your want list above.

bigheadanthony

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009

Whats the difference between this ram and the ones I quoted other than price. Noticeable performance?

steve9207

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

I picked up the same deal today at Fry's. While there, I picked up the TT ISGC-300 CPU Cooler. It's normally $50, but on sale for $30 with a $30 mail in rebate... I actually opened a thread about what to get for my remaining components. MicroCenter has a PSU on sale through tomorrow...

Steve

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Thanks Sonic-Boom. Sorry this is somewhat new to me. So I get your saying that the latencies are basically the timing specs you'd set in the Bios?

Here are the specs copied:
Model
Brand G.SKILL
Series Ripjaws Series
Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Cas Latency 7
Timing 7-8-7-24
Voltage 1.6V
ECC No
Buffered/Registered Unbuffered
Multi-channel Kit Dual Channel Kit
Heat Spreader Yes
Features Specifically Designed to compatible with Intel Core i5 and Core i7 for Intel P55

I'll have to do some research on memory timing and latency. Thanks again.

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Yes this one, good deal. I actually bought that one for $10 more two days ago online from Newegg.

Commander38

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Hi guys

I bought the same deal at Frys (the core i7 with the T5XE motherboard) and I have a question...

At biostars site it said the T5XE Motherboard supports Dual Channel DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600(OC)/1866(OC)/2000(OC) MHz.

Assuming the (OC) means overclocking,

Does it mean you can overclock with the 1600MHz but you can't with 1333MHz?

Or does it mean using 1600MHz would make THAT motherboard overclock all the time?

Is it a wise decision to get memory with 1600MHz with this paticular motherboard?

Just a side note: I want this computer for gamming, but I don't think I will (or need to) overclock it... But then again it would be nice to see what I could do with it. :D

What do you think? :)

vznoobie12

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
First off, I hate you all. I bought a similarly priced i5/t5 xe combo from Frys about a month ago. I did NOT see this pairing being possible and literally dropped my jaw when I read the ad. :[

@bigheadanthony & g725s - I use the same ripjaws and they overclock like champs. With that said, yes they absolutely ARE compatible with our t5 xe. No one really looks at approval lists anymore.

@Commander38 - The OC does stand for overclock. T5 xe will underclock your RAM (if you get 1600 RAM) to the board's native 1333 speed. To achieve, 1600 or higher, you must overclock it manually using the timing specifications of your RAM, also taking voltages into consideration. I would recommend 1600 with this board, especially the ripjaws @ $80. It's an incredibly good investment.

From my experience, this is a pretty good mid-level board. Don't like the x8 bottleneck for SLI/XF setups, but what can you say for a literally free mobo? I had no trouble OC'ing my i5 to 4.0+ with a hyper 212 plus & push/pull setup @ 1.4 vcore. But chose to keep it at 3.9ghz @ 1.264 vcore. Extra wattage wasn't worth the 100 mhz jump.

(Though if anyone is interested, I found out that I could go to 4.2 with that 1.4 vcore, OCCT stable over 2 hrs, prime95 stable [both blend & small] overnight.

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Thanks for the positive review of your Biostar board. I believe that your board is very similar to the one we got or at least in the same class/series. if I'm not mistaken the manual covers both the T5 XE, and the T5XE CFX-SLI.

What are the exact memory timing and voltage settings you are using?

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Just got my build going and testing it at the moment. I beleive the manual is wrong when it says that the memory (when using two stick only) is to be installed in slot A1-B1. And I confirmed this with the Biostar USA tech Nate. His words below:

"Yeah you need to have the memory installed in a1/a2 to get it to post with 2 sticks. The manual is incorrect which is unfortunate."

Currently running for the past 2hrs Memtest86+ that was included in the BIOS. So far so good!

mikek753

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I have 2x2GB and tried A1-B1 and A1-A2. In both cases I got 4 GB.
However, just in A1-B1 I got "dual" channels in cpu-z and "single" for A1-A2.
So, looks like manual is Ok - isn't it?

what setting to use in bios for Patriot 1600 CL9 RAM?
There are a lot of parameters for manual overclocking I'm not aware of :(

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Just download that and check. mikek753 is right. The Biostar tech is obviously wrong.

I hate getting bad info. I email them in regards to a comment I saw on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138162

I knew it would be a few days before I started so I emailed Biostar and asked, even forwarding the link above at newegg.

The Biostar tech got back to me with the exact comment I pasted above.

Ignore what I posted above and follow what the manual says.

Thanks mikek753.