More than 6 monitors setup...IDEAS?

3nduser

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Hello this is my first thread so don't get mad about my stupidity / crazyness and my poor English xD (i looked for similar Threads with no luck). I work with several monitors (4) using 3 as a wiiide screen in High Resolutions (main) and the 4th for setup, running programs. Well, i want to buy a computer so i could have a 6 monitors screen (or using the 6 monitors independent running different videos) and 1 monitor for the setting of videos, programs.
So the question is: What do i need to perform this, is it possible??
I was thinking about a 1200w power supply, 2 ATI HD 5970 (using eyefinity between them) and 1 graphic card a bit lower (5700 serie), motherboard (here i have a blind spot) I dont know about the PCIe expecifications needed)16x/8x/8x,16x/16x/4x or what?
and the micro (the best for the motherboard)

Thanks for ideas, critics, insults, advices, etc.
Bye!

redwolfexr

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
If you want to use DP compatible displays then you might want to wait for the Eyefinity edition of the 5870/5890. That board can run 6 displays by itself. If you already have displays then a pair of the 5850/5870 would work.

For the second board I would think it would depend on what you want to do. You could even add a 5770 and have the ability to run 3 more for a total of 9.

Eyefinity "groups" monitors, so in theory you can span them however you want. I don't know if you could span between displays on separate boards though. (I didn't see anything in Catalyst's controls that indicated it cared about wht board something was ON either. It would be something to test, I suppose.