Sign in with
Your question

Replacing Motherboard && CPU

Last response: in Motherboards
June 8, 2010 12:44:03 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm replacing my motherboard with the following:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

It has a 775 Socket, i have an Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q6700 with an FSB of 1066....

It says under CPU support that it is not supported...but it has the right socket, with a supported FSB, is there any other reason this CPU would not work with the mobo?

Thank you..

Dan
a c 296 V Motherboard
a c 159 à CPUs
June 8, 2010 2:06:53 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

U aren't the only one with the same problem. In AMD rig u can find similar problems and this is because some CPU have some characteristic like TPD and power consume that aren't supported by some mobos even with a BIOS update
a c 80 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2010 6:35:48 AM

The 945P chipset doesn't support Core 2 chips. Your Q6700 CPU will not work with that motherboard.
Related resources
June 8, 2010 4:59:40 PM

Hope you didn't spend your money yet. Always research before you buy!
June 8, 2010 5:30:59 PM

thats true always research best solution if u don't know what u are getting..
a b V Motherboard
a c 81 à CPUs
June 8, 2010 8:04:28 PM

The cpu should be supportive since the motherboard supports even higher FSB's.. And its TDP will definitely not be more than one of those extreme versions and since they are supported, no reason for why this wont be..
June 8, 2010 8:09:15 PM

Read the QVL isn't that what they are for??
June 8, 2010 8:10:20 PM

Just buy a board that DEFINITELY supports your cpu and you shouldn't have any trouble.
a c 296 V Motherboard
a c 159 à CPUs
June 8, 2010 8:14:14 PM

Emperus said:
The cpu should be supportive since the motherboard supports even higher FSB's.. And its TDP will definitely not be more than one of those extreme versions and since they are supported, no reason for why this wont be..

That the mobo says 775 doesn't mean that support all the 775 CPUs.

If u take a look on Google u can find that when u install a CPU that isn't supported by the mobo the system don't boot.
a c 80 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2010 9:12:54 PM

Emperus said:

The chipset of the motherboard doesn't support Core 2 chips, period. You should do some research before giving incorrect or mis-leading information on these forums. I would hate for the OP to listen to you and waste his money on incompatible hardware. There's a lot more to CPU compatibility than FSB speed and the TDP rating.

If the CPU isn't on the CPU support list it won't work correctly if at all. It's as simple as that.
!