newbie1992

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Hi, I recently ordered a Patriot Wildfire 120GB.

I've been reading the sticky on the SSD page and so basically, I wanted the SSD to have my OS + games + work station programs on there.

Now, I am completely new to SSDs and would like some advice and what I should know about SSDs so I don't break it. =)

I was thinking of following this guide after I got my SSD, what do you guys think?

http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html

Solution
Given your level of knowledge, *please* follow JackNaylor's outline.

Some notes:
- You disconnect your old HD's data cable so the system forgets its there, and neither you nor Windows Installer will get confused.

- You install your new SSD and install Windows as if it wer a new build. Once that's done, you (power down and) reconnect your old HD. The system may see the two partitions on your HD (yeah, it probably has two, Windows install created a second).

- Windows will assign a Drive letter to your "new" drive. It might not be "D" as you probably would like; it might be, eg, "F" if you have other devices installed. Use Windows' Disk Management to change "F" to "G", then "E" to "F", then "D" to "E" , and finally "G" (your 1TB disk)...
I originally followed all 12 steps when I bought my 1st SSD in 2010.

After multiple fresh installs since then I now only adhere to Steps 1, 4, & 12.
There was no real world benefits for me following the other steps.

With regards to Step 2, all modern SSDs (2010 on) have TRIM, so if you’re using Windows 7 it’s a waste of time to me verifying whether it’s enabled or not. If you're adding an SSD to a Apple computer then I would recommend Step 2.

When you run WEI (Windows Experience Index) in Windows 7 Windows will automatically perform Step 5 for all SSDs attached to your system.

newbie1992

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
So.. how should I approach this?

1) Back up files on HDD and reformat HDD?
2) install SSD?
3) Clean install OS + Games + Workstation Apps on SSD?
4) Put files back on HDD?

???

My computer should detect my HDD as a secondary HD automatically?

What if my HDD already has Windows 7, should I format it?

Also is there any driver I have to download? such as Intel Rapid Storage...?

Make sure your drive is connected in AHCI mode to port SATA6G_1 or SATA6G_2.

I recommend a fresh install, but if it’s too much work then you can image your HDD and then restore the image to your SSD.

With a fresh install only connect your SSD and the CD/DVD drive with your Windows installation disk. After you get your SSD up and running properly then connect your HDD.

When you connect your HDD you can then copy any needed data files to your SSD and then reformat the HDD.

1. Disconnect HD data cable.
2. Install SSD
3. Install Windoze to SSD, do all updates, drivers, etc.
4. Reconnect old HD
5. If your HD was partitioned w/ just OC on see, rest is easy. You can keep it as an alternate boot.
6. If not, keep what ya want and dump what ya want

newbie1992

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Okay, I don't have my HDD partitioned, its just a big 1tb hard drive. So is it possible to just move just my OS from HDD to SSD? if not, how do I just erase OS from hard drive without deleting anything else? Or is that not possible?

Another thing is, when I install the OS and programs, do I want to install drivers on the SSD or HDD? I'm worried because I heard re-writing and moving too many files/data would mess up the SSD.

Given your level of knowledge, *please* follow JackNaylor's outline.

Some notes:
- You disconnect your old HD's data cable so the system forgets its there, and neither you nor Windows Installer will get confused.

- You install your new SSD and install Windows as if it wer a new build. Once that's done, you (power down and) reconnect your old HD. The system may see the two partitions on your HD (yeah, it probably has two, Windows install created a second).

- Windows will assign a Drive letter to your "new" drive. It might not be "D" as you probably would like; it might be, eg, "F" if you have other devices installed. Use Windows' Disk Management to change "F" to "G", then "E" to "F", then "D" to "E" , and finally "G" (your 1TB disk) to "D". Carefully.

- All of your programs now need to be uninstalled and reinstalled. You need to get the ones you want on the SSD over to it. And the ones that are staying on "D" won't run properly, and need to be reinstalled on "D".

When you are done, you have an old Windows install taking up room on the "D" drive (which you can delete) or preserve for dual boot (NOT recommended for you). Your data files remain untouched, though you may have to move some of them around after all this is done.

Solution

Nightsbane

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

so I know that this is like from 5 years ago, but is this still the method you would use for getting your OS running off of your ssd? How am I supposed to reinstall programs onto my old HDD when they are already installed on it??