Steps to installing an SSD NOT as boot drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

omoplata

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Hello everyone,

I have been looking at tutorials for installing SSDs and they are all about how to install the SSD as the boot drive.

I am currently using a standard mechanical hard drive as my boot drive and have it quite full so i don't want to swap to a SSD boot drive. I would however like to purchase a small SSD to play some games on (16-60gb or so).

What are the steps for installing this stuff? Do i need to do some special driver installs, firmware... ect

From my understanding this is what i need to do

get SSD

hook SSD via sata cable into motherboard (same as when i hooked up my standard mechanical hard disk)

boot system same as normal

go into device manager and partition the SSD in NTFS format.

After that i should see it under my computer and be able to store data on it.

Is this correct or am i missing something?

P.S. i am currently shopping for an SSD and want to make sure i know what im doing before i dedicate any money to it. My budget is no more than 100 dollars (the less the better). Any suggestions on what SSD to purchase would be GREATLY appreciated. Ive been viewing a few like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220580 but the negative feedback has me a bit worried.

thanks guys

Solution

No. Go into Disk Management and Initialize Disk. Then in My Computer you can right-click on the drive and Quick Format it (not full format) in NTFS format.

No. Go into Disk Management and Initialize Disk. Then in My Computer you can right-click on the drive and Quick Format it (not full format) in NTFS format.

Solution

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
You may have to enable the sata port in your bios. I have an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro and whenever I add something to a sata connection I have to go into the bios and enable the particular port in a SATA connections menu.

Also, as Dereck47 alludes to, do not ever full format an SSD.

To install programs on your SSD you will choose the directory where you want them installed during installation. Change this to a directory on your SSD and that should do the trick. As a side note, if you have programs installed on your HDD and you try to move them to the SSD you will likely get registry errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.