Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking for a Dummy

Last response: in Overclocking
May 8, 2012 9:10:54 PM

The dummy being me...
Been custom building computers for almost 2 decades but I've never dabbled in overclocking. Money being tight, I never wanted to risk blowing things up.

Well, upgrading my computer now, I'm willing to throw caution to the wind.

I'm looking to work with the following components:
MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3+ AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRGUBOX
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Note that it's not too late for me to return any component, if I've seriously screwed things up. Two brands of memory is a long story (lack of patience) but it's not too late to reverse course on that, either, if that presents a problem.

Per the motherboard memory specs: DDR3 2133 (O.C.) / 1800 (O.C.) / 1600 (O.C.) / 1333 / 1066

I read that as meaning the motherboard can be configured to accept 1600 though OC settings, and 1600 wasn't that much more expensive so I just went with that. Worst case scenario, I thought, was that it'd just run at 1333. I know overclocking memory doesn't amount to much improvement, but I'd like to unlock the memory's standard performance, at least.

Will I be facing any big problems trying to do so?
And can anyone suggest the settings I'll need to unlock the 1600?

I'm very new to this but it sounds like tweaking voltage and timing...

Thanks in advance
- A Dummy

More about : overclocking dummy

a b K Overclocking
May 8, 2012 10:08:31 PM

What you have is two different models of the same memory with Different timings...you don't need to overclock to reach default memory speeds...the memory controller is now an IMC or integretated Memory controller which resides "on die" with the cpu...all memory timings are controlled by this IMC...read below

http://hothardware.com/News/AMD-Launches-New-Bulldozer-...

As you can read the default speed of the IMC is 2 GHz or 2000MHz...meaning the memory you're using is being underclocked because you're running below the 2000MHz the IMC runs at by default...the Motherboard is set to default to 1333MHz but is "supposed" to read the SPD...serial presence detect...meaning the information for default speeds the ram is capable of is hardcoded into a special chip on the stick of ram and the IMC queries this chip for the proper speed...but with the way the motherboard controllers are set up...and the way they interact with the IMC and SPD of the RAM...your default has been lowered for MAXIMUM compatibility of ALL DDR 3 ram.

In your bios...there should be a Dimm control... read your manual... page 3-18 shows you how to get to the cell menu...where your ram settings are...but first read this link

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?... and this should explain how to set all your ram to your desired speed

what you have to do though is set the memory timings on the two different models of ram to be the same...you want to set the ram with the tightest times to the same as the looser timed ram...ie...looks like the gskill timings are at 9-9-9-24-2n or 2T...you want to set the corsair to the same timings of 9-9-9-24-2n or 2T...that last 2n or 2T is refresh command rate of 1T or 2T...1n or 2n...this way both are being refreshed at the same speed and timings.

Read your manual pg 3-18 and read the link....follow the steps and you should have no problems

Good Luck and post back for your success or failure and if you need more help.

Respectfully,
tekman42
May 9, 2012 12:36:25 AM

Okay, so, if I'm reading right...

The motherboard assumes 1333 but will defer to the IMC that actually looks at the DIMMs and sees they're capable of 1600.
So that part is all taken care of automatically, even though the MB specs list 1600 support as "O.C."

That right?

So all I need to do to perfect things is tweak the slightly different timings to be identical.

Sounds simple enough, thanks.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
May 9, 2012 1:13:59 AM

The motherboard bios doesn't always interpret the SPD correctly or the motherboard code is defaulting to 1333MHz as designed and requires a manual adjustment to allow the ram to run at 1600MHz but YES you got the gist of the information!!

It should run great at the 1600MHz without actually causing any issues and I believe the board and the 890fx chipset was designed when 800MHz and 1333MHz were the norm and any clock above 1333MHz WAS overclocked only...the 1600MHz ram was available then but hideously expensive compared to ddr 2! and their wasn't a lot of chipsets designed for the faster ram...it took a bit for it to catch on and when DDR3 began coming down in price drastically.

I could be wrong...but that's an educated guess as to the reason why the board defaults to 1333MHz and I believe that is correct.

Anyhow...enjoy the added performance.

Respectfully,
tekman42
May 9, 2012 6:00:22 PM

This isn't going so well so far.
I can't even tell if it's an overclocking issue or what.

If I try to boot with everything default--the MB going 1333 on the memory--I get BSOD pretty quickly. If I manually set it for 1600, I still get BSOD pretty often. If I use the BIOS' "OC Genie Lite", it sets the memory to some odd 1833 and runs a little better... but still BSODs after a while.

I'm in the middle of a memtest to see if one of my sticks is just bad. All I'm dealing with right now are the two Corsairs.

Sigh. It's never easy. I'd be happy if it'd just work without tweaking anything...
May 16, 2012 1:06:42 AM

I hate leaving threads linger without a final word, so: I finally got it more or less stable.

I was getting periodic hard freezes (every couple hours) when running both the Corsair and G.Skill DIMMs with the BIOS forced to recognize them at 1600.

I took out the G.Skill DIMMs for a day and didn't have a single hard freeze.

I then took the Corsairs out and put the G.Skills in for 2 days and have had only one hard freeze. With the G.Skills I also didn't have to force the BIOS to recognize them as 1600--it did it automatically.

The freezing--however rare--is still worrisome. I've been having a lot of graphics driver crashes while playing Fallout 3 and Fallout: NV, so it could well be that now my old graphics card is acting up. It's just hard to blame that after the problems I've had with all my new hardware.

But anyway, I'm taking the opportunity to return the Corsairs and will order 2x4GB more G.Skills online. I prefer Corsair but G.Skill seems to be playing nicer with the motherboard.
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 1:20:01 AM

Some boards do seem to have touchy preferences or as you said...just seem to play well a bit better than others...However..a hard freeze or system lockup SHOULD NOT be happening...this means there's still an issue and odds are instead of living with it..or it going away sadly are less than whatever piece of hardware is having the issue totally failing or causeing a system component to completely fail.

You said you are having graphics related crashes....I would watch temperatures on the GPU for hints as to what's happening...if it isn't heat related...the odds are that it's going to be the hardware or drivers are crashing...

Still on the ram issue...if you experienced a bsod with the the gskill ram...why are you returning the Corsair ram modules instead?? I would return the set that I experienced NO BSOD's or Hard Lockups instead of the one that crashed after 2 days...Unless it's for budgetary reasons...then I would return the corsair's without a problem and return the gskills as defective and get a full set of 4 sticks as a matched set for replacement rather than stick with the ones that caused a system lockup after 48 hours.

If it was me...I would return the gskills FIRST as defective and use the Corsairs while waiting for the new gskills to get there (remember get a matched set of 4) and then when I had those...I would install them and run memtest86 (24hrs usually means OK) to see if they are actually stable and not crashing the system FIRST..Then and ONLY then would I send the corsairs modules back...this way you spend a bit more time...but you have a known decent set of Corsairs the entire time until you have the ram issue settled and stress tested as well as benchmarked!

Good Luck,
May 16, 2012 1:37:40 AM

Quote:
You said you are having graphics related crashes....I would watch temperatures on the GPU for hints as to what's happening...if it isn't heat related...the odds are that it's going to be the hardware or drivers are crashing...

I'm pretty sure heat's not the problem, though I'm not sure how to check the GPU temperature. Temperatures in the box and on the CPU were fine around the time of both the hard freezes and the driver crashes. I've tried both Microsoft's default drivers and those from nVidia, and I'm still getting driver crashes.

I'll try to figure out how to check the GPU temperature but it seems odd this would only become an issue now--never had this problem before the MB/CPU/RAM upgrades.

Quote:
Still on the ram issue...if you experienced a bsod with the the gskill ram...why are you returning the Corsair ram modules instead?? I would return the set that I experienced NO BSOD's or Hard Lockups instead of the one that crashed after 2 days...Unless it's for budgetary reasons...then I would return the corsair's without a problem and return the gskills as defective and get a full set of 4 sticks as a matched set for replacement rather than stick with the ones that caused a system lockup after 48 hours.

I haven't had any BSODs lately, fortunately, since I seemed to stabilize things. Once I got them working at 1600 and reinstalled Windows 7, it was only the hard freezes.

Couple reasons for returning the Corsairs over the G.Skills:
1. I like that BIOS is detecting the G.Skills at 1600 by default, where I have to force it for the Corsairs
2. I'm not confident the Corsairs are any more reliable than the G.Skills since neither froze during the planned 1-day test period. I've had a freeze the second day using the G.Skills, but the Corsairs might have done the same and it might not even be a memory issue. I don't feel confident labeling any of it defective.
3. I bought the Corsairs local and have the receipt. I bought the G.Skills online and don't have the receipt.

Quote:
If it was me...I would return the gskills FIRST as defective and use the Corsairs while waiting for the new gskills to get there (remember get a matched set of 4) and then when I had those...I would install them and run memtest86 (24hrs usually means OK) to see if they are actually stable and not crashing the system FIRST..Then and ONLY then would I send the corsairs modules back...this way you spend a bit more time...but you have a known decent set of Corsairs the entire time until you have the ram issue settled and stress tested as well as benchmarked!

According to memtest86 every stick of RAM I had was fine, so either they're not the problem or memtest86 isn't detecting the flaw.

And both brands went 24 hours without any hard freezes with both heavy gaming and general use.
May 16, 2012 2:19:36 AM

Okay I lied.
The settings aren't completely auto.
The memory should work at 1.5v and that's what "auto" is setting it to, but the system just reboots while loading into Windows if it's higher or lower than 1.65v.

Sigh.
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 4:17:59 AM

That would be a motherboard or the cpu's IMC the integrated memory controller issue...hardware related...OR...the Bios

According to MSI's own page http://us.msi.com/product/mb/890FXA-GD70.html#?div=Deta...

the motherboard supports 1.5V memory....your ram IS 1.5v ram..both models...However READ THIS BELOW

http://gskill.us/forum/archive/index.php?t-7688.html

I think this will help explain your issue better and give you a better idea of what your bios settings SHOULD be at to run at 1600MHz for the ram...directly from GSKILLs own tech forums..

Give it a shot...if I've learned nothing else over the years...it's to keep looking for something that replicates your issue or addresses your issue..that post at gskill sure sounds like something that will help with your peculiar issues!

It can't hurt to follow the steps and observe the results...The instructions tells you exactly what to do, why you're doing it and what should be the result!

Maybe we get lucky!!

Post back after trying it...Also I completely understand your decision on which ram to get...I personally ONLY USE Kingston HyperX....I have never had an issue with ram because of this but budgets do direct what one can afford sometimes...and you are the ONLY one you have to please to feel comfortable!!

I say I personally ONLY use Kingston HyperX but in my current rig...I bought a rig to cabbage the motherboard, ram, and gpu out of..the ram IS gskill Ripjaw series 1600MHz...I haven't had the money in MY budget yet to replace it with Kingston HyperX yet and during my overclocking attempts...I discovered my ram will NOT overclock past it's rated default speed of...wait...you guessed it...1600MHz...LOL :) 

So I feel your angst my friend...Definitely try all that on the gskill link and see if maybe that doesn't help a bunch...I have a funny feeling!!!

Good Luck and Please Post back as to your luck!!
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 4:28:40 AM

One thing when you go through this post...I recommend Clearing the CMOS FIRST...then move forward...but BE SURE TO WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU HAVING WORKING NOW!!!!!

Just in case the rest doesn't work or performs erratically!! At least you can return back to where you started at...I'm seriously puzzled at the board refusing to run at anything less than 1.65v for the ram UNLESS the NB voltage is REALLY too low for ram stability at 1600MHz...

Never fear...we WILL get this to work!! or Narrow down the issue as to what IS defective!

Since 1600MHz is considered to be an overclocked ram speed for THIS motherboard...I suspect that NB voltage may very well be the major issue for your instability!!!

We'll just keep chugging on until we find what works...chin up...eyes forward...my friend :) 
May 16, 2012 5:31:49 AM

Thanks for sticking it out, man. I've never had this much trouble getting hardware to work together and I've certainly never had to get into tweaking voltages and timings just to get a piece to work at its standard capacities--especially when I read of it working PnP for others.

That said, I just went through a series of voltage tests with the Corsair and G.Skill DIMMs separately, here are the results:

Corsair:
1.5v: memtest86 crashed; Win7 BSOD
1.65v: memtest86 froze the first attempt, passed the second; Win7 no immediate problems
1.7v: memtest86 crashed, Win7 good (tested for full day on this setting)

Note: Had to force both ratio and voltage to achieve "stable" 1600 performance in Win7

G.Skill:
1.5v: memtest86 passed, Win7 reboots during startup
1.65v: memtest86 crashed, Win7 mostly good (good for one day, hard freeze on the second)

Note: 1600 is picked up as default frequency for G.Skill but required forced voltage to 1.65 for stability

I also noticed something odd in the BIOS regarding the G.Skill. The "MEMORY-Z" screen shows the frequency right, but the timings are wrong. If I go deeper into the XMP view, the timings are shown correctly (9-9-9-24). I tried forcing those timings at 1.5v but I got a BSOD pretty quick.

Off to try those manual settings from G.Skill!
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 6:35:48 AM

I haven't asked you...what Bios version are you running?

The latest is 1.14 dated 2012-03-20

You can download it here

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/890FXA-GD70.html#/?div=BIO...

If you have already updated to this bios...I would Clear the cmos then reflash the bios with that bios image and reboot...let the updated bios setup finish and then reboot with optimized bios defaults, then reboot again and see where the ram timings are at and the ram default voltage.

If the issue is still exactly the same at this point...your motherboard has a problem that you can't fix...the board would need to be RMA'ed back to MSI or if in warranty...to newegg with a clarification on what all you have done to T/S this issue!

I believe if you do what you can off of the gskill link and that doesn't help AND you reflash the bios and STILL have the same issues...that's about as much self help as you can do without violating the warranty so I believe you would have to have a bad motherboard at that point!

Time will tell but your board should work as advertised and support the hardware it's designed to support...including the ram...your manual should've addressed overclocked ram settings and what they should be for supporting 1600MHz because it's designed for it and THAT'S what you paid for!!

Let me know how it goes!!
May 16, 2012 7:00:27 AM

I went through G.Skill's instructions to moderate success. I'm now running at 1.5v with the right timings and Windows is mostly behaving itself, though it feels a bit more sluggish during loading up and Aero isn't enabled--not sure if that could be related or just another hint of a graphics driver problem. Memtest86 crashed towards the very end, though.

I also tried increasing CPU-NB another .1v but it went unstable.

I'm going to update the BIOS. I'm at 1.13 right now and 1.14 supposedly has improvements for memory support... so who knows... maybe I'll get lucky.
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 7:49:10 AM

:ouch:  On the issue of the gpu failing...realize that the gpu sends information down the same bus paths as does everything else in datat I/O's to the cpu...If the gpu IS failing...depending on what's going wrong with it...it could be screwing everything else up including the memory because of erroneous info being exchanged with the cpu FROM the gpu...ie...power readings...available ram...what type of ram...what speed the ram is running on...ALL of these are in reference to the GPU's onboard memory...but as that data gets exchanged with instructions from the cpu and bus controller...for the pci-e lanes..if that data is corrupted...the results...BSOD's, hard lockups, freezing and stuttering...all that doesn't just happen to the display output...the cpu could be experiencing issues while attempting to read the corrupted data coming in on the PCI-E bus itself OR the Controller.

The way to read the gpu's temps is to download something like MSI Afterburner...it displays the operating temps of the GPU...

AND it also shows the gpu's fan speed...if your temps are maxing out...Lockups and freezes occur as thermal protection circuitry kicks in and shuts down the machine...ie...BSOD's.

Install MSI Afterburner and reboot the machine...then once all is loaded up...hopefully:) ...you can run it and see what your temps are hitting...Anything below 70C or so should be doable...but that's getting there if you ask me...I know some hit 90C+ but that's way to hot for me to be comfortable with.

If it IS hitting high temps...YOU can take the sucker apart and replace the Heatsink Paste...this has probably dried out to the max and isn't providing good enough thermal transference from the gpu chip to the heatsink..also I assume your fan IS turning OK...Afterburner will show you the speed and you can check online for normal temps and fan speeds!!!

I can't say THIS enough...You MUST have good hardware that isn't acting up in order to successfully T/S the lock ups and freezes and BSOD's since the video card may be the culprit that is giving your system fits...corrupted data in any form making it to the CPU WILL cause extremely weird issues all over the place and totally stumps one until it is figured out and the issue is addressed!

We'll get there yet my friend...all it requires is a bit of patience and time to track down the actual problem...We can eliminate all hardware ONE PIECE AT A TIME..till all that's left IS the problem!!

I think that was Sherlock Holmes that said that once you eliminate all the possibles...whatever remains MUST be the problem!

The bios update "probably" won't affect the issue...but you never know...however if it doesn't...and you were pretty close to being current as it was...then I would do the afterburner install and get into Windows 7 and see what those temps are on that gpu and what speed the fans turning at...

Let me Know what you found...I'll be here for a bit longer tonite...if we don't get there...I'll be back tomorrow afternoon...early evening to check...

:hello:  Good luck to you and I'll be watching AND rooting for you!! LOL :) :) 

P.S. I'm sure you have gotten the latest... :non:  WHQL drivers...that are stable as well? Just make sure you are installing the latest "Stable" version of the drivers to avoid any bugs from them :)  Just thought I would mention that fact...DO NOT use windows default vga drivers (like I need to tell you that) but just in case others read this while T/S their rigs...they get all the correct info for addressing their issues.

That's called "Best Practices" and I wouldn't have it any other way!
May 16, 2012 7:54:58 AM

I found a utility that checks the GPU temps and they're well within the norms. I was disappointed that this MB didn't have any on-board video support since I know it's invaluable when you suspect a graphics card of problems. Figures I could really use that right now.

And now back to figuring out how the hell to update my BIOS. The instructions from MSI look like they're 8 years old. I haven't had a floppy drive in years. =/
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 8:02:19 AM

OK...I'm a bit behind ya...had to take a restroom break...now caught up...since the temps are well within normal ranges..

You CAN update the bios from within Windows itself...use liveupdate5 :bounce:  to perform the flash!!

You do NOT need a floppy drive for this!! Horror of Horrors
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 8:07:55 AM

This sums up the important things to do when flashing the bios

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701...

Do bios update while you are still using pieces you KNOW work so that you can test bios settings using parts you know to be good and work. And yes it is better to flash a bios on a motherboard that is nOt overclocked. Some bios flashes overwrite settings in bios. Some bios flashes do not overwrite everything in bios. It depends. I would make sure I knew every setting I used before flashing bios. I used to take pictures of all my bios screens. Safe that way. I always clear the CmOs after a bios flash and that should clear all settings you use now. That means you need to know what your settings today are.
May 16, 2012 8:15:06 AM

tekman42 said:
OK...I'm a bit behind ya...had to take a restroom break...now caught up...since the temps are well within normal ranges..

You CAN update the bios from within Windows itself...use liveupdate5 :bounce:  to perform the flash!!

You do NOT need a floppy drive for this!! Horror of Horrors

Read several folks saying not to use LiveUpdate for flashing the BIOS, but... I tried it anyway. LiveUpdate won't even open. "Can't load driver !"

In the process of reinstalling all the MSI drivers.

Just nothing going my way...
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 8:27:43 AM

BE SURE TO BACKUP the bios you have now FIRST....then use a usb stick with the image of the new bios on it!
May 16, 2012 8:29:18 AM

tekman42 said:
LOOK at the M-FLASH Menu here

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/07/27/msi_890fxagd7...

This details how to use a usb stick and do it from within the bios setup itself!!

Yep. Planning to buy one tomorrow, if I don't figure out how to get it working tonight. I've always had MP3 players or cellphones to move data around on through USB. Never needed a stick specific to storage. =/
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 8:30:27 AM

you will need to choose to ENABLE Bios Update in the M-Flash menu and the picture is ABOVE the text at the link!
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 8:40:58 AM

I know how frustrating this is...odds are it's gonna be an issue with the motherboard itself since we have no overtemp issues out of the gpu....but you never know until you try all there is to try...at least when your out of options...and have to rma the board...you can show what you've tried and that you exhausted all available options and eliminated all you could first....makes most RMA's...especially with newegg or MSI customer support...much quicker, that way you don't have to do more T/S for them...you can tell them "already been there...done that"

Let me know what happens after flashing the bios and what it did!! I'm confident that after achieving a bit of stability but still experiencing issues even following all the instructions online at gskill and performing all the steps we have covered here...it will be the motherboard in the end...somethings wrong with the board and voltage control for the ram...generating system lockups at any setting!

I believe we are down to RMAing the board itself...it has an issue with stability no matter the settings... configured as default or what SHOULD have worked and with NO overclock...that's ridiculous for a brand new product...Defective hunk of hardware!!! :) 
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 8:50:42 AM

Hello my friend,

I'm hitting the sack...it's 3:48 AM here...have some errands to attend to tomorrow...I will be back on early afternoon for a bit... then tomorrow evening.

I will be looking to see where you're at with this!

See ya then.
May 16, 2012 9:36:06 AM

I forgot that SD Card + Card Reader = USB Drive.
And, well, 1.14 definitely wasn't a miracle cure.

Flashed to 1.14 and reset CMOS and it didn't look much different. The settings were still picked up wrong, so I tried going through G.Skill's directions again, and I got BSODs almost immediately. It worked better with that config at 1.13.

So I went back into the BIOS to get myself to the previous semi-stable state of just having the DIMM voltage at 1.65. And still got BSODs.

Went back into the BIOS and realized that Z-MEMORY was setting the timings all wrong, so I forced those to 9-9-9-24-2T. Worked for a while, then BSOD.

I'm now reverted to 1.13 with all defaults except the voltage pushed to 1.65--the prior, most stable settings I've found.

I think I'm pretty much stuck here. Might be looking at an RMA but that's going to be a huge pain--I telecommute and just can't go long without a working desktop. I have a laptop to get by but it's a POS.

Sigh.

Edit:

Making matters worse, I tried to sneak in a little gaming time last night while the system was under the previously "stable" settings, and I got a BSOD. I never had a single BSOD on this config before the flash/rollback and only a hard freeze after 24 hours with it. I could have lived with that. It was stable enough not to go through the RMA process. But if it's not even that stable anymore, probably got no choice.

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 7:42:31 PM

I would have to agree that the board IS defective...something is wrong with the way the bios is reading the SPD for the ram...something in the memory bus to the cpu or wrong with the way it's reading code...WOW.

This isn't something you can fix and it will drive one mad with weird hangs and freezes out of left field all the time!!

I'm sorry it turned out this way but at least you know your hardware otherwise seems to be OK...I would call newegg customer service and see what it will take to get it RMAed and a new one on it's way!!!

Sometimes this IS the way it goes...I had to go through this entire process last summer with ASUS..not newegg but the manufacturer and ASUS is slower than molasses I was without my pc from may-end of July and I was having major issues with the second ram slot not working...I was getting the issues like you with system freezes and I was also losing my O/S installation...it kept getting corrupted!! turns out the traces on the motherboard by where the video card mounted to the case were damaged and shorted out..although you couldn't really see it.

All you can do is the best you can with T/S and get a new board...it's not really a fixable issue at this point...we've eliminated the things it could be so moving on...lets hope the replacement board doesn't have any wonky issues!!

Keep me posted if you would...I would at least like to know how it turns out!!

Good luck my friend!
May 16, 2012 11:32:19 PM

Best answer selected by dmittner.
May 16, 2012 11:34:15 PM

I actually purchased it from Amazon since I have free, quick shipping from them. I do all my research on NewEgg.com, though. =)

Amazon seems to have a pretty nice refund policy for defective components, though I'm not sure how exactly they test it to verify it's defective. That's a little worrisome. But still, I'll buy a replacement (probably a different model while I'm at it) now and then send this one in for a refund once I swap them out.

I really can't afford not to have a computer at all, and this one is stable enough right now that I can at least do my work.

Looking at the MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 at the moment. It looks to be the newer version of the one I had, with listed native support for 1600 and slightly upgraded versions of other components. About the same price, too. Just no reviews on NewEgg yet, which kind of sucks.

Unless I jump companies. Which I might. My love affair with MSI is sort of tainted now.
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 11:49:24 PM

Looks like an updated version and current! Good choice and this should definitely address the crazy stability and memory issues you encountered over the past few days!!

I agree that the other Mobo IS definitely defective...unable to support Spec!

When you get the new in....and up and running...post back to see how it goes,

I'll be watching!

Good luck to you and keep on keeping on!
May 17, 2012 7:50:47 AM

Well this is just hilarious. In a sad, ironic sort of way.

I bought the 990FXA-GD80 tonight and put it in, and the thing won't even post.
And I think I know why.

The version of the BIOS on the board doesn't support my 8-Core CPU. And since it doesn't post, I can't flash the BIOS to the version that does.

Chicken and the egg.

I don't even know what to think of this. These are components that are being sold together in bundles.

If this problem continues then they should put the BIOS on micro-SD cards or introduce a way to inject a new BIOS version direct, not even needing a POST.

For lack of any other options available to me, I'll be returning this tomorrow. Might get an ASUS instead and just hope it comes with a BIOS that supports my *bleeping* processor...

P.S. And it looks like the latest generation of motherboards (the MSI and Asus equivalent, anyway) have abandoned all IDE support, so now I need a new DVD drive, too. Bleh. At least they're cheap.
a b K Overclocking
May 17, 2012 8:22:28 AM

This is the bios version you need to run your cpu

FX-Series Zambezi FD8120FRW8KGU FX-8120 ....... 7640vB5.zip for 125W processor

If you have a way of comparing it to what's installed on your board...I would agree but I believe both it and the 7640vB9.zip for 95W processor are the only two FOR the fx8120...however there's another variant..B8...that only supports the callisto Phenom II XB59 dual core cpu.

Data from here: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/990FXA-GD80.html#/?div=CP...

That's a serious run of bad luck there my friend...I agree with the ASUS choice...this isn't usually a problem for their bios and they also usually provide a way to update the bios

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The first one is IF you drop to the 990X chipset...

The Second is keeping the 990FX chipset!...

That's about all ASUS offers on Newegg...I presume you aren't purchasing from newegg so the other MAIN reason I would go with ASUS is the "MEM OK" button that by pushing the mem OK button the bios will automatically continue rebooting and trying different memory speeds UNTIL it achieves a successful Post and boot allowing you to get into the BIOS to save whatever ram settings allowed for a successful boot...sure makes it a lot easier to recover from incorrect timings...voltages...and speeds you set for the ram while overclocking in the bios!!

Good luck and post back when you get>>Itt can only get better from here....but who wants to tempt "Murphy's Law"?????? NOT ME!

Hey seriously though...it's gotta improve over this>>>>I really do prefer ASUS...I've had excellent luck with msi...AND...asus....this is just one of those days!!

WOW OH WOW!!
May 17, 2012 8:37:42 AM

tekman42 said:
FX-Series Zambezi FD8120FRW8KGU FX-8120 ....... 7640vB5.zip for 125W processor

If you have a way of comparing it to what's installed on your board...I would agree but I believe both it and the 7640vB9.zip for 95W processor are the only two FOR the fx8120...however there's another variant..B8...that only supports the callisto Phenom II XB59 dual core cpu.

Yep, already figured that bit out. That isn't the exact model number for my processor (FD8120FRGUBOX) but mine is a 8120 at 125v, so I imagine it should work with B5.

There's a small green sticker on my bios chip (thanks to another post I found with that info) that indicates it's only B0--the very first version of the bios. No idea why motherboards would still be getting shipped with such an old version. Maybe it's a fluke.

So ain't a dang thing I can do to fix this but get another replacement.
a b K Overclocking
May 17, 2012 9:32:02 AM

Somebody's backstock just getting shipped out to clear shelf space I imagine.

Agreed...nothing for it but to "grin and bear it" and wait for tomorrow:) 

Sometimes one can't help but laugh at the absolute absurdity of it all...although I've found that usually don't come until a bit AFTER it's fixed and safely in the past.

You ain't there yet my friend....but coming up on it rapidly if for no other reason than the TITAN effort this has taken.

Luck to ya!
May 18, 2012 5:36:08 AM

Finally some good news to report. Though with a slight taint.

Plan A was to return the 990FXA board and either get a straight (hopefully more current) replacement or grab the Asus board, but they were out of stock of both. Instead of getting my money back and trying to find another way to get the board quick, I had them flash the BIOS in their service center. They tried to charge me $30 for it but I got a manager to stomp that one out.

It's been pretty clear sailing since I got it back. It posted fine, picked up the CPU, picked up the memory (though the timing info still seems off...) and booted into the OS. I've since re-installed Windows 7 and narrowly got my OEM copy re-validated and have got it all set up without a hint of a BSOD, crash, or freeze.

It could still happen. I went 24 hours+ without a crash before, but I'm feeling confident.

The only oddity is that the BIOS and motherboard display show the CPU temperature oddly high, 6-10 Celsius higher than before, even though it's the same CPU and heatsink. Core Temp is showing it substantially lower. Something to keep my eye on but hopefully not another lurking problem.

And memtest froze, but at this point I don't fully trust that to necessarily be an indicator of horrible things. :heink: 

For now I'm calling this one good.

P.S. Oh. And the memory is working at 1600, so the original point of this topic is also satisfied. :D 
P.P.S. And off to play some games and stress test this thing.
a b K Overclocking
May 18, 2012 7:19:13 AM

The TITANIC effort finally paid off!!!

Enjoy my friend and have a good time.

The thermal sensors are notorious for incorrect readings...trust core temp...although oddly enough on my rig...core temp always says my cpu is around 64C until I put a load on it and bammm...it goes to 41C and slowly climbs from there...however my bios clearly shows and so does my ROG AII suite that the temps are idling at 31-32C...

The absurdity of it all!!! LOLOLOLOLOL.....RWL...roaring with laughter!!! :) 

Glad it's going so smoothly and at the speeds you wanted too:) :) :) =excessive happiness as in the Patch Adams movie...look it up and watch sometime...it's hilarious.

Glad for you!

The forums always here and I'm usually cruising around somewhere on it!

Until next time.........................
!