niceguyjin

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
So I've got a new water cooling kit going in right now, and I'm stuck on how I should manage the fans on the rad. It's a 240mm radiator, and I have 4 3pin fans I want to put on it. There are 2 or 3 other 3pin fans going into the case also.

Currently I have an ASRock P67 Extreme4 motherboard, which I've found through trial and error on my old air-cooling setup, to only effectively control 1x3pin fan either through AXTU (windows based BIOS contol software) or Speed Fan. (Other 3 pin fans were basically kept on 100%)

So I either use Y splitters for 4 fans on my rad from the 1 good mobo header (probably not a good idea?), or get a fan controller?

If a fan controller, I'd prefer something with a decent automatic control which would keep the fans quiet unless hot. I know the Auquero 5 is popular, but I can't justify dropping 16000yen ($200) on that. I looked at the Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 or 6, but it is never available and there are a lot of unhappy customers on newegg et al.

The Lamptron Touch looks OK (still expensive),
http://lamptron.com/products/view/Fan_Controller_Touch

or this less well known Nesteq MaxZero is an option, and much cheaper here in Japan.
http://www.nesteq.net/gb/products/fancontrollers/maxzero/

Also, where to people put heat sensors for managing radiator fans for a CPU loop? I guess most have 4pin PWM fans on the mobo? But if not?

Many thanks!

Solution
most fans use 3 to 6 watts, so even if you have it at full power for the fans they may never reach full speed, and yes voltage controllers are more stressed under low voltage conditions. thus the reason for PWM controlled fans with control the AMPS, and lower setting means less stress on the controller.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
that fan controller looks fine I wouldn't attach any more than 2 fans per channel if they are low RPM otherwise 1 per channel. I place a temp sensor on the radiator it's self so that the fans kick down when the water cools just like in a car.

niceguyjin

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Thanks!

The Nesteq would be my first choice (on price) and the site says its 4.8W per channel. (It's not really 8 channel but 4 with Y splitters on each header). Would having 2 x 1500RPM fans on each header be OK if I keep them at 30-50% most of the time? I read keeping fans undervolted is more stressful on controllers...

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
most fans use 3 to 6 watts, so even if you have it at full power for the fans they may never reach full speed, and yes voltage controllers are more stressed under low voltage conditions. thus the reason for PWM controlled fans with control the AMPS, and lower setting means less stress on the controller.

Solution